• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rodizio 2?

Jeff L

Mr. LaBan bestows two bells on Picanha Brazilian Grill on Castor Ave in the Northeast. It's a six month old genuine Brazilian grill housed in a former coffee shop. From the sound (and picture) of it, it seems similar to the Brasilia Grill discussed on the NJ board though not nearly as extensive a menu.

The usual suspects abound, top sirloin, garlic linguica sausage, bacon wrapped chicken breast, and tenderloin. Craig was particularly impressed with the costela short ribs.

For those of us who missed the last DDC trip to the Ironbound, it's a whole lot closer and seems to sound pretty tasty. If anyone wants to try it, pm me and I'll post on the ISO thread

OK, a few folks expressed interest in this outing so I will post in the ISO thread. I didn't mean to exclude those of you who made it to Newark. Everyone is welcome to come!

Edited by Jeff L (log)

OK, a few folks expressed interest in this outing so I will post in the ISO thread. I didn't mean to exclude those of you who made it to Newark. Everyone is welcome to come!

The restaurant was reviewed by Kirsten Henri in Philadelphia Weekly a few weeks ago.

There is also Padaria & Pizzaria Brasil in the area.

I am going to have to visit when I have the time, in a few weeks.

Assuming the right night I may join. I am a fool for rodizio.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

So where's the post?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

So where's the post?

Just posted on ISO

So where's the post?

Just posted on ISO

and did you get my PM?

OK, the date for the run to Picanha Brazilian Grill is set for Sunday, April 9th @ 7:00 pm. Please pm me if interested.

Edited to reflect Easter is on the 16th.

Edited by Jeff L (log)

Although I would like to be there, at this time I am not certain if I will be able, but to me seven on a Sunday evening is very late for dinner, particularly a dinner that requires several hours.

May I suggest an earlier time. We were in Newark for nearly four hours. One does not rush through a rodizio dinner.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

Although I would like to be there, at this time I am not certain if I will be able, but to me seven on a Sunday evening is very late for dinner, particularly a dinner that requires several hours.

May I suggest an earlier time. We were in Newark for nearly four hours. One does not rush through a rodizio dinner.

My impression of this place is that it will not be a four hour dinner unless we care to make it one. That said, I can't see the harm in pushing it up an hour if it means more people can join us.

I'll ask folks to comment on the time and pm me if they can make it.

OK, the date for the run to Picanha Brazilian Grill is set for Sunday, April 9th @ 7:00 pm. Please pm me if interested.

Edited to reflect Easter is on the 16th.

Alas, don't think we'll be able to make it on the 9th, will likely be out of town.

Sorry to miss you guys, pm me if plans change and you can make it

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK so 6 of us had a really nice dinner at Picanha last night, well ok at least I did. It's a nice little corner space on Castor Avenue. Inside is clean and pretty open although I could see this place becoming crazy busy on weekends, actually one of our servers said that many people are reserving tables instead of just dropping in.

On to the meat-fest:

They have two ways to eat here, by the pound and all you can eat. The prices were ridiculously low, $7.00 per pound (they weigh the plates in case you were wondering) and $23 for all you can eat. We all opted for the later in true Rodizio fashion.

First you go to the buffet table and get fresh salad, rice, beans and something, chicken hearts, ravioli and sauce (yeah in a Brazilian joint) and lots of other interesting stuff I didn't want to fill up on. Then you sit at the table and wait for the meat guy to come around with giant skewers. We started off with top sirloin which was excellently prepared although I thought could have used more seasonings. Then came chicken wrapped in bacon, yum, followed I think by pork (quite fatty possibly pork belly) but real tasty, especially the browned bits. Then we got some short ribs which I really enjoyed. Next came grilled whole pinapple with brown sugar and cinnamon. This was really quite a treat and served nicely as a palate cleanser.

More sirloin I think and more of some other meat. It was all really good particularly for the price. I loved dessert too. We had servings of fresh mango in a cup with what seemed to be infused with yogurt or something like it. Also ordered was passion fruit in a similar treatment that got rave reviews. I had the guava that was really outstanding. Such a perfect ending to a great meal.

I'll be back and bring Mrs. L next time.

OK so 6 of us had a really nice dinner at Picanha last night, well ok at least I did. 

Oh, c'mon, we all did.

It's a nice little corner space on Castor Avenue.

Can't say I didn't warn you at dinner:

Picanha Brazilian Grill

6501 Castor Avenue (at Hellerman)

Philadelphia, PA 19149

215-743-4647

Nearest SEPTA service: Bus Route 59 from Margaret-Orthodox station, Market-Frankford Line. The bus stops at Hellerman, right at the restaurant's door.

Inside is clean and pretty open although I could see this place becoming crazy busy on weekends, actually one of our servers said that many people are reserving tables instead of just dropping in.

The server was very friendly and made all of us feel welcome. Some other patrons were watching a TV Globo (leading Brazilian network) broadcast of a Central American soccer match on the big-screen TV near our table when we arrived. When it's not crazy, this place is really relaxed, as much neighborhood hangout (nonalcoholic variety) for the local Brazilian emigre population as meat lover's Valhalla.

(Aside: Further evidence this isn't the same bland old Northeast we all looked down upon back in the day: A billboard two blocks north of the restaurant--just past the Korean-Japanese restaurant in the next block and before the Korean Presbyterian church--advertising Comcast high-speed Internet service.

In Russian.)

On to the meat-fest:

They have two ways to eat here, by the pound and all you can eat. The prices were ridiculously low, $7.00 per pound (they weigh the plates in case you were wondering) and $23 for all you can eat. We all opted for the later in true Rodizio fashion.

First you go to the buffet table and get fresh salad, rice, beans and something, chicken hearts, ravioli and sauce (yeah in a Brazilian joint) and lots of other interesting stuff I didn't want to fill up on.

Edited to add: The buffet food was good. Mostly, I loaded up on the salad. No pretense here: The salad dressings were all (or almost all) the Save-a-Lot house brand. (There's a Save-a-Lot in the 6400 block of Castor, half a block down from the restaurant.)

Then you sit at the table and wait for the meat guy to come around with giant skewers. We started off with top sirloin which was excellently prepared although I thought could have used more seasonings. Then came chicken wrapped in bacon, yum, followed I think by pork (quite fatty possibly pork belly) but real tasty, especially the browned bits. Then we got some short ribs which I really enjoyed. Next came grilled whole pinapple with brown sugar and cinnamon. This was really quite a treat and served nicely as a palate cleanser.

Actually, the opener was sausage--I guess this was linguica. It was fairly spicy, garlic mainly, and quite good. Then came the top sirloin, which opened with a strong salty taste.

You left out a cut of beef in between the chicken wrapped in bacon and the pork (which I don't think was pork belly, which tastes almost like bacon; tasted more like pork loin to me). I don't recall which cut this was, though.

More sirloin I think and more of some other meat.

I think what followed the first serving of pineapple was top round or a similar roast. I do recall that there was plenty of rare beef on this skewer--up to this point, most of the meats had been well done.

Then more sirloin.

That was followed by brisket. Somehow, I missed getting any of that.

It was all really good particularly for the price. I loved dessert too. We had servings of fresh mango in a cup with what seemed to be infused with yogurt or something like it. Also ordered was passion fruit in a similar treatment that got rave reviews. I had the guava that was really outstanding. Such a perfect ending to a great meal.

I recall the waiter explaining that those were varieties of flan--a mousse-like custard dessert. (I didn't get to tell you about how, on my first-ever visit to a French restaurant at age 12--in New York--I elicited a laugh from the waiter when I asked for a "chocolate mouse" for dessert.)

Agreed that the flan was delicious. And I'm not a big dessert eater.

This won't be my last visit either. BTW, those were great wines you bought, Jeff--they went well with the meats, though, as you noted, we probably should have drunk them in the reverse of the order in which we drank them.

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

OK so 6 of us had a really nice dinner at Picanha last night, well ok at least I did. 

Oh, c'mon, we all did.

Glad you enjoyed it too, we'll wait for the others to post to see if it's the majority opinion, tho I think it is.

It's a nice little corner space on Castor Avenue.

Can't say I didn't warn you at dinner:

Picanha Brazilian Grill

6501 Castor Avenue (at Hellerman)

Philadelphia, PA 19149

215-743-4647

Nearest SEPTA service: Bus Route 59 from Margaret-Orthodox station, Market-Frankford Line. The bus stops at Hellerman, right at the restaurant's door.

Yes you did warn me.

Inside is clean and pretty open although I could see this place becoming crazy busy on weekends, actually one of our servers said that many people are reserving tables instead of just dropping in.

The server was very friendly and made all of us feel welcome. Some other patrons were watching a TV Globo (leading Brazilian network) broadcast of a Central American soccer match on the big-screen TV near our table when we arrived. When it's not crazy, this place is really relaxed, as much neighborhood hangout (nonalcoholic variety) for the local Brazilian emigre population as meat lover's Valhalla.

(Aside: Further evidence this isn't the same bland old Northeast we all looked down upon back in the day: A billboard two blocks north of the restaurant--just past the Korean-Japanese restaurant in the next block and before the Korean Presbyterian church--advertising Comcast high-speed Internet service.

In Russian.)

On to the meat-fest:

First you go to the buffet table and get fresh salad, rice, beans and something, chicken hearts, ravioli and sauce (yeah in a Brazilian joint) and lots of other interesting stuff I didn't want to fill up on.

Edited to add: The buffet food was good. Mostly, I loaded up on the salad. No pretense here: The salad dressings were all (or almost all) the Save-a-Lot house brand. (There's a Save-a-Lot in the 6400 block of Castor, half a block down from the restaurant.)

Then you sit at the table and wait for the meat guy to come around with giant skewers. We started off with top sirloin which was excellently prepared although I thought could have used more seasonings. Then came chicken wrapped in bacon, yum, followed I think by pork (quite fatty possibly pork belly) but real tasty, especially the browned bits. Then we got some short ribs which I really enjoyed. Next came grilled whole pinapple with brown sugar and cinnamon. This was really quite a treat and served nicely as a palate cleanser.

Actually, the opener was sausage--I guess this was linguica. It was fairly spicy, garlic mainly, and quite good. Then came the top sirloin, which opened with a strong salty taste. I totally forgot that sausage and it was among the best meats of the night.

You left out a cut of beef in between the chicken wrapped in bacon and the pork (which I don't think was pork belly, which tastes almost like bacon; tasted more like pork loin to me). I don't recall which cut this was, though.

More sirloin I think and more of some other meat.

I think what followed the first serving of pineapple was top round or a similar roast. I do recall that there was plenty of rare beef on this skewer--up to this point, most of the meats had been well done.

Then more sirloin.

That was followed by brisket. Somehow, I missed getting any of that. Brisket, what brisket? This may have come during my meat induced coma and I didn't even see it.

It was all really good particularly for the price. I loved dessert too. We had servings of fresh mango in a cup with what seemed to be infused with yogurt or something like it. Also ordered was passion fruit in a similar treatment that got rave reviews. I had the guava that was really outstanding. Such a perfect ending to a great meal.

I recall the waiter explaining that those were varieties of flan--a mousse-like custard dessert. (I didn't get to tell you about how, on my first-ever visit to a French restaurant at age 12--in New York--I elicited a laugh from the waiter when I asked for a "chocolate mouse" for dessert.)

Agreed that the flan was delicious. And I'm not a big dessert eater.

This won't be my last visit either. BTW, those were great wines you bought, Jeff--they went well with the meats, though, as you noted, we probably should have drunk them in the reverse of the order in which we drank them.

The first wine was the lovely and well priced Lineage made by Freemark Abbey and in stores now at $9.99. Second was my favorite Shiraz, Bleasdale. I special ordered 4 cases of the stuff as I think it was less than $9.00 a bottle. Might not be in any stores any more though.

Edited by Jeff L (log)

sounds like a good time.  the $7 a pound thing is intriguing--i always thought all those places were AYCE only...

It really is a great deal. Think about it, how many pounds of meat can you eat?! If you factor in a few sides and say you get 1lb of meat, you still pay about $14. This assumes that you pay by the pound for sides as well.

We decided it was worth the extra $$ to have the meat guy come around and carve for us. I think when I go back I'll opt for the per pound deal.

Oh, dessert is an extra $2.50 and worth every penny.

And another member chimes in----

Yep! That was definitely some good meats! I lost track of the variety of beef cuts. Two friends that I invited, Betty and Ingrid, are not eGullet members but are certainly eaters. They assured me that they had a good time, enjoyed the food, and have recovered from the meat overload!

Let me see what I can recall from the meat haze----- nice little buffet along the side of the room. Didn't want to fill up on too much from that, but I did have some chicken hearts-- they looked to be sauteed-- the skewered hearts were more salty. It must be fun skewering those itty bitty hearts on that big skewer! I prefered the sauteed ones. Also had a bit of this red bean dish and I couldn't tell what else was in it, but it was good. Had a chunk of what looked to be pork, and tasted like it too. Nice and tender and porky. Oh, and some pickled beets. I missed the egg and sauce that Ingrid had. It was whole hardboiled eggs in a sauce that looked mayonnaise-y and Ingrid said it tasted lemony. I guess kind of a.....constructed egg salad?

The meats were all good, but some stood out more than others. One beef bit was a touch too salty for me. One I liked had a nice rind of fat--- some was nicely browned and crispy-- very tasty! I imagined those carcinogenic grilled bits of fat coursing through my veins...... I also like the beef short rib. I very much enjoy eating meat from the bone. It was a most enjoyable meal, with good company! I would certainly enjoy a return visit.

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

Well, I confirmed it -- they do indeed have pao de quejio, but they had run out by 10PM on Saturday night, when we stopped in.

I will definitely go back to Picanha -- excellent sausages and ribs, good rice and beans and farofa, etc. -- but I think I like Samba on Girard a wee bit better. The server at Picanha cut up my Picanha in chunks, not thin slices, which I thought was odd, and everything was cooked past medium-rare :sad:... I like my meat bloody. Also, Samba douses their grilled pineapple in cinnamon liqueur, yum! However, I like being able to order by the pound (for takeout, no less), so when it's just me and I actually feel like eating breakfast and lunch in addition to dinner, Picanha it is.

I'm really beginning to love the Northeast.

P.S. I hear those Portugese restaurants around Kuk-Il are pretty good...

P.P.S. Craig LaBan mentioned that the staff at Picanha will mix up "killer capirinhas" for you if you BYO. Well...they're killer, all right. We brought a bottle of cachaca and they poured us each a good 8 oz serving! They were good, but MAN that's a lot of rum.

• 5 months later...

the sirloin, bacon wrapped chicken chunks, sausage, some other cut of beef, all were great. also a great chopped tomato salad and black bean stew on the buffet. the only thing not outstanding was the pork. it was a little dry. at $7 a pound, ridiculously cheap. I can't wait to go back.

the sirloin, bacon wrapped chicken chunks, sausage, some other cut of beef, all were great.  also a great chopped tomato salad and black bean stew on the buffet.  the only thing not outstanding was the pork.  it was a little dry.  at $7 a pound, ridiculously cheap.  I can't wait to go back.

Glad you started this thread up again. It reminds me of how good the food was there and the overall experience.

Anyone game for doing another dinner there?