• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recent tastes

Florida Jim

2002 Tamellini, Soave Classico Anguane:

A spherical wine, combining all of its scents, flavors, nuances and structural elements to form a whole greater than the sum of its parts; really quite something with antipasto.

1995 Chateau-Figeac, St. Émilion:

Merlot, done right; soft but substantial across the palate, with light herbal notes, a worsted texture and plenty of ripe fruit that is held in check by a fine grained structure. As wonderfully balanced and complete as the foregoing wine but in a wholly different and more masculine way. Excellent juice in no danger of diminishing.

Thanks Sam.

2002 Angeli, Anjou Blanc La Lune:

Copper colored; somewhat closed on the nose but alive and well on the palate with excellent chenin flavors and good character; plus a long, balanced finish. Good wine to be drunk soon – or such is my impression.

2002 La Chablisienne, Chablis Cuvée LC:

Good, solid Chablis that will never be profound but is somewhat rich and pure, shows no wood and is balanced. Drink over the next year.

2001 Pinoso, Laderas de El Sequé:

A very nice Alicante that has a firmer structure and more complexity than the 2003 version, which I also like a lot. I think I would cellar this another year or so and drink the 2003.

2004 Terres Dorees (Brun), Fleurie:

With a slight chill (cellar temp.) this is even better – and that is saying something. I wish I have cases of this left instead of just a few bottles. Charming, juicy, life-affirming juice.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com