• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

IndyRob

IndyRob

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

All the fried food in that post looks done to perfection: crispy and golden, not too dark. I can almost taste the crunch from here. :x 

Yeah, but here's the problem - IMHO...(and I feel the need to point out that I did not grow up here, but...)  If you look at the tenderloin in the pic above and compare it to the bun that is nicely loaded up, you'll see that it just doesn't fit.  The bottom bun is presumably below the tenderloin but you can't even see it.

Nobody would accept a burger that's three times the size of the bun.  But it seems to have become the norm here as some sort of point of pride.

But here's the dirty little secret, as I imagine it - if you know what a pork tenderloin is, you'll also know that no amount of pounding will make it that big.  It must, therefore. be a pork loin sandwich.

And is it even a sandwich if, in fact, most of the sandwich filling is not between bread?

I call Shenanigans!

Edit - I need to say that a properly sized pork tenderloin sandwich is one of the best things ever.  I'm just objecting to the Tenderloinus Rex versions.

IndyRob

IndyRob

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

All the fried food in that post looks done to perfection: crispy and golden, not too dark. I can almost taste the crunch from here. :x 

Yeah, but here's the problem - IMHO...(and I feel the need to point out that I did not grow up here, but...)  If you look at the tenderloin in the pic above and compare it to the bun that is nicely loaded up, you'll see that it just doesn't fit.  The bottom bun is presumably below the tenderloin but you can't even see it.

Nobody would accept a burger that's three times the size of the bun.  But it seems to have become the norm here as some sort of point of pride.

But here's the dirty little secret, as I imagine it - if you know what a pork tenderloin is, you'll also know that no amount of pounding will make it that big.  It must, therefore. be a pork loin sandwich.

And is it even a sandwich if, in fact, most of the sandwich filling is not between bread?

I call Shenanigans!