• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recent tastes

Florida Jim

2003 Quintarelli, Secco Ca’del Merlo:

Tight and acidic out of the bottle but it opened and tamed over the course of dinner. I am told this is sauvignon blanc and tocai but I found no varietal character so attributable; instead it was both brighter and more rustic than expected with a slight resinous quality. Overall, an appealing wine that held my interest despite other choices. I may have to get some of this.

(Anybody know if there is some saorin in this; I know he uses that local grape in his passito?)

Thanks Bill.

1997 Quintarelli, Valpolicella:

Very closed; giving only the briefest scents and flavors of Valpolicella . . . and then everything hiding behind aromas and flavors akin to hard candy. Hidden structure seems more resolved than one might expect but I’m betting this wine needs years to unwind. Today, interesting but not fascinating.

Thanks John.

2002 Spreitzer, Riesling Kabinett Oestricher Lenchen halbtrocken:

A protracted way to say delicious; this is pure, stony, crystalline riesling with excellent cut, perfect balance and a sweetness that is more sec-tendre than demi-sec. A “little” wine with a mouth-watering juiciness and a graceful charm, with or without food.

Thanks John.

2004 Chiver, Syrah:

An interesting bottle shape, a pretty label and a mediocre wine (what were the odds?). I bought this because it was a $20 syrah from Mendocino, a terroir that I know can make fine wine (eg. Copian). But this is candied on the nose and palate, 14.5% alcohol, feels manipulated and is about as engaging as flat soda pop. At least it’s not over-oaked.

Too bad.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com