• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Raspberry filling

SweetSide

I'm looking to make a white cake with a raspberry filling -- other than a buttercream. My constraints are that the cake will not be refrigerated, and it can't be raspberry jam / preserves.

I keep hunting but keep coming up with mousses...

Any ideas?

If you want to send me off on a flavor variation, that's may also work -- I'm not necessarily tied to the raspberry. I'm doing three (smallish) cakes for a baby shower. Chocolate filled with white chocolate mocha ganache, Black and White filled with raspberry dark chocolate ganache and White with.... My only constraint is that it not be chocolate and should tie with the other two.

Frosting on all three is a white (vanilla) Italian buttercream.

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

Lemon curd with fresh raspberries.

Thought about that one, but doesn't lemon curd have to be refrigerated? In my mind it does because of the egg yolk base. That's how I was taught in school and I don't want to poison a pregnant woman... This is actually one of my favorites -- more makes it to my mouth than to the cake :blink:

The cream cheese raspberry one from laspasterie also sounds good, but wouldn't a filling made with cream cheese have to be refrigerated also? If not, then I have a go here -- more reassuring than the egg issue with the curd.

That's where I'm having the problem. I have to finish the cakes on Sunday for a Monday delivery. Once the cake is stacked and filled, my fridge is too small to hold the cake and my family's food. I could let them starve... :raz:

But, I have to be able to have the cake last from Sunday through Monday (it's a work function with the food left on a goodie table where I will have no control over food safety.

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

Lemon curd can withstand longer times at room temp because of the high acid and sugar content. Letting a cake sit for several hours shouldn't be a problem.

Another option would be a raspberry cremeux. Sort of like a stovetop creme brulee set with gelatine. Might be some recipes around the net you could Google up.