• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

LA Restaurants

John Whiting

Here's the link (again) to the Los Angeles Times article (25 Jan. 2006): Scene and be seen / by Corie Brown

How to get ahead in show biz? Invest in a restaurant. Lately, everyone's doing it ...

The concept isn't new; Spago was financed by Hollywood money, as was the Grill on the Alley and Ago. What's new is that [Adolfo] Suaya has reduced it to a formula.

After I read the article, I was struck by the sobering thought of why the LA dining scene is the way it is, and I've been living here since the mid-1980's. Many people go to restaurants to "see and be seen" (SABS). As for me, I just want to say, along with Alton Brown, "I'm Just Here for the Food!"

Carlsbad, at least San Diego doesn't have to put up with this Hollywood glitter. Or does it?

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Talk about SABA, I still remember going to Valentino in the '70's, and when we were seated, they had Ben Gazzara (he was coming off a hit TV series then and was well-known) parked at a table where he was literally on display for everyone who entered. The food was great though, and actually has been whenever I have returned.

I remember a similar experience involving Sharon Gless (at the height of Cagney & Lacey fame) at the Palm in the '80's. Of course, that was BK (before kids) so don't do much of that anymore.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

The LA Times comes up with another terrifying feature.
"NEVER, never let a chef design the menu. They'll make the food too complicated." ...The Hollywood hotspot is suddenly as much a part of the entertainment industry as, well, paparazzi.

Oh God. This is why so many LA restaurants don't last. But hopefully this is concentrated only around Hollywood, right?

Edited by savvysearch (log)

In my humble opinion, restaurants can succeed on many different combinations of factors. But the key is that it's a combination - not just location, not just food, not just pretty clientele, not just investors that bring in business, not just design and environment, not just concept, not just staff - but some mix of all the elements.

This person has struck upon a balance of those factors that works for him a good percentage of the time, so he's sticking with it. More power to him. The unfortunate part is that many restauranteurs will take from his success that his is the ONLY combination, resulting in more new restaurants having food as the least important item.

~Tad

i think it's important to remember that that story was addressing one very narrow segment of the los angeles restaurant scene, the hipster places. it is almost a given that food is never a consideration at any of them, so i don't see much point in gnashing our teeth over it.

that said, i do think the la fine dining selection lacks choice, when compared to the bay area or new york. but i don't think there's anyplace in the us--or maybe the world--that can compete with us when it comes to the depth and diversity of our ethnic restaurants. that's where la's true dining treasures are. (speaking only for myself)

Edited by russ parsons (log)

Although you were speaking for yourself, you have spoken wisely, Sage Parsons.

Yes, there are the "see and be seen" places. Yes, there are the popular chains & dives. Yes, we have our share of high-end restaurants. And definitely YES to the plethora of ethnic restaurants throughout the Los Angeles area.

Seems like there's something for everyone, ehh??

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...