• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oysters Everyday. Not Everyday Oysters.

raxelita

Care to contribute to a list of places to belly up for solid daily oyster intake? Places that don't pre-shuck and then squirt brine into them (you might be surprised by the number of multi-starred restaurants that do this), but don't charge arm or leg.

Balthazar is my standby for impromptu good oyster eating, though I've had some not so delicious tasting ones there recently.

My new favorite are at Marlow and Sons in Williamsburg (disclosure: I sometimes work for the owners). They have one east coast and one west coast each day, and choose them according to what's the best catch. And they have $1 Oyster Happy Hour from 5-7pm.

Grand Oyster Bar is stunning, but is more of an event to me than somewhere to go all the time.

Mas makes a beautiful (beausoliel) oysters with tomato ice plate, which is nice to swing by and have late at night when the place is empty.

Where else, shuckers?

Drink maker, heart taker!

American Grill in Staten Island, great oysters, nice bar. Food varies.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Personally, I prefer to choose several of the varieties from The Lobster Pool at Chelsea Market and pop them open myself. Nothing like an oyster that has just been opened (especially one you opened yourself eaten immediately.)

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

Personally, I prefer to choose several of the varieties from The Lobster Pool at Chelsea Market and pop them open myself.  Nothing like an oyster that has just been opened (especially one you opened yourself eaten immediately.)

I like to get them there, but I'll have them shuck them for me and I'll eat them then and there. I usually get a dozen littlenecks too. Both are great with just a little lemon. :wub:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Aqua Grill is tops in my book for oysters. You can't get any fresher unless you harvested them yourself. Schaffer City Oyster Bar and Grill has a huge variety daily of fresh oysters. Had great luck there. Rest of the food is edible but stick with the oysters.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Personally, I prefer to choose several of the varieties from The Lobster Pool at Chelsea Market and pop them open myself.  Nothing like an oyster that has just been opened (especially one you opened yourself eaten immediately.)

I like to get them there, but I'll have them shuck them for me and I'll eat them then and there. I usually get a dozen littlenecks too. Both are great with just a little lemon. :wub:

You mean in some of the seating just outside? I am assuming you don't mean standing over the oyster tank. :biggrin: I never thought of doing that (sounds like a great idea for a brief snack while shopping).

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

You mean in some of the seating just outside? I am assuming you don't mean standing over the oyster tank. :biggrin: I never thought of doing that (sounds like a great idea for a brief snack while shopping).

That is precisely what I mean only I don't always get a seat! :shock: It's great for a quick snack when in the neighborhood. The workers there can shuck a whole lot faster than I can although I don't shy away from the chore.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz