• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Charlotte Restaurants

amcleod

I am going to a conference in Charlotte next week and need some restaurant recommendations! I've never been before. i will probably have only one evening to dine out. All types of food are welcome. Local folks, what's your favorite place?

Also - I won't have a car, so needs to be downtown (staying at Omni) or a short cab ride.

Thanks a million!

I think that you will find this thread a particularly interesting beginning to your search .. in the meantime, I will bring up more links for your dining pleasure!

Sorry but you will have to scroll upward on this ... :wink:Charlotte dining

detailed post on dining in Charlotte here

not on the eG site but quite a number of links ... and we have a number of Charlotte members here who will no doubt want to chime in with their opinions and recommendations ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I am going to a conference in Charlotte next week and need some restaurant recommendations!  I've never been before. i will probably have only one evening to dine out.  All types of food are welcome.  Local folks, what's your favorite place? 

Also - I won't have a car, so needs to be downtown (staying at Omni) or a short cab ride.

Thanks a million!

There are lots of good choices to make downtown. Here's a good guide to what is available in the area:

Charlotte Magazine restaurant guide

My current favorite within walking distance for you is Blue, a Mediterranean place that is very popular.

What's your budget?

If you have time for lunch, there is a Dean and Deluca on Tryon St. just a few blocks away from the Westin. Further down Tryon is Something Classic, which has great soups and sandwiches.

For decent Southern-style food, Merts Heart & Soul on College St is good. This is 3 city blocks away from the Westin.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest MNewman

I'm working my way though the top Charlotte restaurants and had an excellent meal a few weeks back at Zebra near Southpark Mall.

Oddly, they are also open for breakfast (doesn't look at all like the type of place that would serve breakfast).

My "hit list" includes:

Blue, Upstream, Barrington's, Ethans of Elizabeth, Salute, Illios Noche, Dolce, Restaurant i, Cosmos Cafe, Penguin, Dish, Fig Tree and Creation.

I've had good meals at Patou, Mimosa and Sonoma.

Edited by MNewman (log)

I'm working my way though the top Charlotte restaurants and had an excellent meal a few weeks back at Zebra near Southpark Mall. 

Oddly, they are also open for breakfast (doesn't look at all like the type of place that would serve breakfast).

My "hit list" includes:

Blue, Upstream, Barrington's, Ethans of Elizabeth, Salute, Illios Noche, Dolce, Restaurant i, Cosmos Cafe, Penguin, Dish, Fig Tree and Creation.

I've had good meals at Patou, Mimosa and Sonoma.

That's a great list, but don't forget to add Bonterra. We had a wonderful meal there last weekend.

I am also looking forward to trying Copper.

It's SouthPark. Never "mall." They would be highly offended at the very notion.

And Kulman, you posted Charlotte Magazine as a link? Et tu, Brentus?

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer