• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

A couple AeroPress tips:

I use my Aeropress(es) 10 to 15 times per day—yes, really!

The rubber plunger seals on both AeroPresses had shrunk making for a poor seal. :(

I considered buying new seals, but then I ran across this (his description is definitely worth reading):

I tried it, but in my own way—because I never follow directions properly. :$

I put the seals in a vacuum chamber pouch, added some mineral oil, sealed the pouch in the vacuum sealer, placed the whole deal in hot water from the tap to warm it all up.

Then I heated water in the microwave to boiling, poured it over the pouch—repeated this a couple times and let sit for a few hours.

It worked!!! shock2.gif

Both seals have been restored to be as if new:)

I also have Able Brewing Fine Filter Disks For the AeroPresses.

They work well, but plug-up after much use. :angry:

Mine were 1/2 to 2/3 plugged! :blink:

I tried to unplug them, but without much luck.

Then I read this: "Soak it in vinegar and then boil. This usually clears it up for me."

I thought that sounded like B.S., but decided to try it anyway—in my own way. :$

I soaked the disks in white vinegar for 10-15 minutes, removed them from the vinegar, heated the vinegar to boiling in the microwave (cough, cough cough) then soaked the disks in the near boiling vinegar.

Repeated soaking in the near boiling vinegar a couple times. Then I gently brushed them with a stiff bristled tooth brush.  And rinsed and rinsed.

It worked!!! shock2.gif

Both disks are now just like new!

Coffee is a TERRIBLE addiction! Jumpy.gif

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

A couple AeroPress tips:

The rubber plunger seals on both AeroPresses had shrunk making for a poor seal. :(

I considered buying new seals, but then I ran across this (his description is definitely worth reading):

I put the seals in a vacuum chamber pouch, added some mineral oil, sealed the pouch in the vacuum sealer, placed the whole deal in hot water from the tap to warm it all up.

Then I heated water in the microwave to boiling, poured it over the pouch—repeated this a couple times and let sit for a few hours.

It worked!!! shock2.gif

I tried to unplugged them, but without much luck.

Then I read this: "Soak it in vinegar and then boil. This usually clears it up for me."

I thought that sounded like B.S., but decided to try it anyway—in my own way. :$

I soaked the disks in white vinegar for 10-15 minutes, removed them from the vinegar, heated the vinegar to boiling in the microwave (cough, cough cough) then soaked the disks in the near boiling vinegar.

Repeated soaking in the near boiling vinegar a couple times. Then I gently brushed them with a stiff bristled tooth brush.  And rinsed and rinsed.

It worked!!! shock2.gif

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

A couple AeroPress tips:

It worked!!! shock2.gif

I tried to unplugged them, but without much luck.

I thought that sounded like B.S., but decided to try it—in my own way. :$

It worked!!! shock2.gif