• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ElsieD

ElsieD

I made up some more batter as per the Paula Wolfert recipe upthread and decided to follow her baking instructions which is to bake them at 400F for 1 3/4 to 2 hours.  They were baked in the BSOA on non-convect.  I had my oven thermometer in there to make sure the temperature was correct.  These were a disaster.  I pulled them after an hour and 15 minutes and they were already burnt on the top and the inside was not baked.  Not even close.  Also, they stuck horribly to my molds.

As to my molds, the last time I used them I had some trouble with sticking.  I washed them with soap and water and re-seasoned them.  They were put in the fridge and once cold, I throughly oiled them and put them back in the fridge.  I stirred the batter, removed the molds from the fridge, filled them and put them in the oven.

What is the problem with the molds?  Why do they stick?  Why did they burn and not bake through?  It seems to me the temperature is too high but other recipes have called for that temperature but them instructs you to turn the oven down.  How do I get the batter/baked bits off the molds?imageproxy.php?img=&key=1b5586c5b8cfb2a2imageproxy.php?img=&key=1b5586c5b8cfb2a2imageproxy.php?img=&key=1b5586c5b8cfb2a2

Lastly, I still have some batter so can bake some more.

20200525_220437.jpg

20200525_220624(3)_resized(1).jpg

ElsieD

ElsieD

20200525_220624(3)_resized.thumb.jpg.d7bdc6261b2725f512ce70af1cd56349.jpgI made up some more batter as per the Paula Wolfert recipe upthread and decided to follow her baking instructions which is to bake them at 400F for 1 3/4 to 2 hours.  They were baked in the BSOA on non-convect.  I had my oven thermometer in there to make sure the temperature was correct.  These were a disaster.  I pulled them after an hour and 15 minutes and they were already burnt on the top and the inside was not baked.  Not even close.  Also, they stuck horribly to my molds.

As to my molds, the last time I used them I had some trouble with sticking.  I washed them with soap and water and re-seasoned them.  They were put in the fridge and once cold, I throughly oiled them and put them back in the fridge.  I stirred the batter, removed the molds from the fridge, filled them and put them in the oven.

What is the problem with the molds?  Why do they stick?  Why did they burn and not bake through?  It seems to me the temperature is too high but other recipes have called for that temperature but them instructs you to turn the oven down.  How do I get the batter/baked bits off the molds?imageproxy.php?img=&key=1b5586c5b8cfb2a2imageproxy.php?img=&key=1b5586c5b8cfb2a2imageproxy.php?img=&key=1b5586c5b8cfb2a2

20200525_220437.jpg

image010.gif

20200525_220624(3)_resized.jpg

20200525_220624(3)_resized(1).jpg

ElsieD

ElsieD

I made up some more batter as per the Paula Wolfert recipe upthread and decided to follow her baking instructions which is to bake them at 400F for 1 3/4 to 2 hours.  They were baked in the BSOA on non-convect.  I had my oven thermometer in there to make sure the temperature was correct.  These were a disaster.  I pulled them after an hour and 15 minutes and they were already burnt on the top and the inside was not baked.  Not even close.  Also, they stuck horribly to my molds.

What is the problem with the molds?  Why do they stick?  Why did they burn and not bake through?  It seems to me the temperature is too high but other recipes have called for that temperature but them instructs you to turn the oven down.  How do I get the batter/baked bits off the molds?

20200525_220437.jpg