• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant in Morristown, Basking Ridge

scarlet knight

And I must respectfully disagree with you. The prices may be a bit high but I find it far from being a "super -ordinary red sauce" place. In fact the dishes are quite creative and there is no lasagne or veal parm even on the menu

Yes, I was just using hyperbole when I said lasagne. But their dishes are the same things you can find at scores of other "Italian" restaurants in New Jersey.

I also take a dim view of the use of the phrase "Northern Italian" in these restaurants. The North of Italy is quite varied, in Liguria you have an extensive use of pesto, with green lasagne, and a special unique thick pasta known as trophie. Piemontese food, (look for it on the upcoming Olympics) has anchovies in green sauce, dipping veggies in a bagna calda sauce, stuffed pasta (totally unlike ravioli) called agnolotti. In Venice look for Liver dishes (fegato) and seppie a black squid ink used as a pasta suace.

One of the few restaurants on this side of the pond to have this kind of stuff is Babbo in NYC. So, really, the use of the phrase "Northern Italian" is a hoax, and these restaurants should really say "Italian-American" The food may be tasty, but so is a hot dog. I want something more in a nice restaurant.

Well, I thought the original posting was just for a suggestion for a byo for dinner in the Morristown area. I was merely stating in my humble opinion that I liked La Campagna. :unsure: I have eaten there about 3 or 4 times and have always had a good meal. ( I never read where they claim to be Northern Italian!)

I have eaten at Babbo's twice and to even compare the two is ridiculous! :rolleyes: Babbo's is probably the best Italian restaurant in the city! :hmmm:

I too have toured Italy... north, south and central and know a "little" bit about Italian food. :wink: My grandmother came from Italy! :smile:

La Campagna isn't the BEST restaurant, nor does it have the BEST Italian food, I just thought it was very good!!! :sad:

Lori

Thank you for many great suggestions.  We booked Origin.  I've had lunch there and I think it's good, but not great. But we'll give it a try for dinner.

Pluckemin Inn is definitely a GREAT. I think there is another thread running specific to this place now.