• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

回香 (huí xiāng) Fennel (Foeniculum vulgare)

fennelseeds.thumb.jpg.b3f05c66b3debc32b4683ddebc3dcc25.jpg

回香子 or 回香籽 (both - huí xiāng zǐ), Fennel seeds have been available here for longer than I’ve known them. They are one of the more common seeds in five spice and other powder mixes, so they are easily obtainable. In fact, most people don’t even bother saying or writing the final character meaning ‘seed’; it’s taken for granted.

However until very recently (by which I mean about two weeks ago) fennel bulbs (回香头 - huí xiāng tóu) or fennel leaf/fronds (回香菜 - huí xiāng cài) were totally unknown. Suddenly they popped up all over my food delivery app. I still haven’t seen them in any store or market.

fennelleaf.thumb.jpg.6770fb3c1935ef875799542a90ae304d.jpg

Seeds are around $2 USD for 100 g; leaves are 70 cents for the same amount; whereas the bulbs $1.40 for 300 g. The bulbs are still the most difficult to find.

FennelBulbs.thumb.jpg.beb596c3b715507d5585a3ea82ece1a7.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

回香 (huí xiāng) Fennel (Foeniculum vulgare)

fennelseeds.thumb.jpg.b3f05c66b3debc32b4683ddebc3dcc25.jpg

回香子 or 回香籽 (both - huí xiāng zǐ), Fennel seeds have been available here for longer than I’ve known them. They are one of the more common seeds in in five spice and other powder mixes, they are easily obtainable. In fact, most people don’t even bother saying or writing the final character meaning ‘seed’; it’s taken for granted.

However until very recently (by which I mean about two weeks ago) fennel bulbs (回香头 - huí xiāng tóu) or fennel leaf/fronds (回香菜 - huí xiāng cài) were totally unknown. Suddenly they popped up all over my food delivery app. I still haven’t seen them in any store or market.

fennelleaf.thumb.jpg.6770fb3c1935ef875799542a90ae304d.jpg

Seeds are around $2 USD for 100 g; leaves are 70 cents for the same amount; whereas the bulbs $1.40 for 300 g. The bulbs are still the most difficult to find.

FennelBulbs.thumb.jpg.beb596c3b715507d5585a3ea82ece1a7.jpg