• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

Are these Chinese ingredients? They are now.

ChineseChips.thumb.jpg.cb881d999235f24c39aab29b24023523.jpg

马铃薯条 (mǎ líng shǔ tiáo). literally 'potato strips'. 

Are they Chinese? Well, they're certainly not French! Grown in China, chipped in China, frozen in China and sold in my local supermarket in China.

When I first served some chips (I refuse to call them fries - I have standards) to some friends here in 1996, they were baffled and grabbed some sugar and poured it over them liberally.

Soon after, McD's and KFC turned up and they worked it out. Yesterday was the first time I saw them like this, though.

Did I buy them? No. I make my chips from this ingredient.

potatoes.thumb.jpg.85bc39e768cbf4aa59991c8338b155a7.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

马铃薯条 (mǎ líng shǔ tiáo). literally 'potato strips'. 

Are they Chinese? Well, they're certainly not French! Grown in China, chipped in China, frozen in China and sold in my local supermarket in China.

When I first served some chips (I refuse to call them fries - I have standards) to some friends here in 1996, they were baffled and grabbed some sugar and poured it over them liberally.

Soon after McD's and KFC turned up and they worked it out.. Yesterday was the first time I saw them like this, though.

liuzhou

liuzhou

马铃薯条 (mǎ líng shǔ tiáo). literally 'potato'strips'. 

Soon after McD's and KFC turned up and they worked it out.. Yesterday was the first time I saw them like this, though.