• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

3 reds

Florida Jim

2000 Dom. Louis Latour, Corton Grand Cru:

Starts off shy on the nose and muddy on the palate with little fruit and a somewhat dirty taste; after about an hour morphs into an approachable, fruit-sweet, complex and elegant wine with none of the power of the Corton I am used to but with finesse and interest.

I seldom buy Louis Latour wines but a discount price is a powerful temptation and, in this case, made for a good (but not grand cru) bottle.

An hour’s airing made all the difference.

2002 Piccini, Chianti Classico Solco:

Smells and flavors that wonder back and forth between chocolate and damp earth with lots of red fruit and some mineral tones; good balance and a certain elegance. Not for holding long term but, for now, at $9, oh yeah!

2003 Dom. Tempier, Bandol:

This is the regular bottling.

Expansive dark fruit and earth nose with hints of asphalt and baker’s chocolate; full bodied and decidedly tannic but also ample fruit concentration and solid acids make for one powerful (and balanced) mouthful of wine, distinctive, and intense; long, dusty finish. There may have been a moment or two when I detected a bit too much alcohol but it was gone in a second; lost in the viscosity and depth of this juice. I have no idea if it will age but I also could care less; satisfying today and I can’t wait to open another.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com