• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

La Paella Tapas Wine Bar & Restaurant (nee Mecca)

fchrisgrimm

Leslie and I finally made it over to La Paella in Norwalk.

While not everyone has agreed, we have been huge fans of Jaime Lopez's cooking at Mecca, which I thought (though very different) was dish-to-dish, dollar-for-dollar as good as Meigas.

I was a bit worried when I heard about the changes, fearing that an attempt to be more like Meigas (my impression of the change) might be a recipe for disaster, as the place could lose the emphasis on qualities that set it apart.

Thankfully, those qualities (and many of the favorite dishes) that made Mecca such a wonderful place have migrated to the La Paella menu. Green seafood rissotto, for instance.

Jaime is spending (so I am told) less time on the floor and more time back in the kitchen. The biggest change in the restaurant is that a small wine bar has been built across the mid-front of the place, which also divides the place, making the dining room (in back) a little more cozy and less right-up-against-Main-Street.

The menu is largely the same as at Mecca, with the addition of three Paella options and a conversion and expansion of the appetizer choices into a tapas menu. That said, many of the aps are those that were on the Mecca menu and many of the terrific 'one-dish' style main courses, like the aforementioned GSR, are still to be found. There's also still the lengthy and diverse Spanish wine list. La Paella also opens for lunch.

Leslie started with the cod balls (and old standby) and had the snapper special that I can't specifically recall - it was served over prawns and cockles, I recall (thought she loved it). I started with shrimp with pureed red pepper chickpeas, which were terrif (even if I'm doubting my three-days-later ID of the dish). For a main, I had the duck confit special, served over mushroom rissotto, with spinach, and cranberry relish.

All in all, as a diner and unabashed fan of Mecca, I was pleased and relieved to see the changes first hand. Same great food with some additions, different environment, and now I can even go for lunch.

• 1 month later...

We went last week and had a great meal!!!!! The original croquetas de Bacalao and back from the days at Meson Galicia, when Jaime was the chef there, and as light and delicious as ever!

The expanded wine list is truely incredible, although pricey, there are some great wines there for the tasting!

The food is directly from Spain - super marinated olives and great bocerones!

My better half enjoyed a huge and tender pork loin with delcious pumkin puree and veggies, while I loved the salmon.

Dessert came too easily and was marvelous - chocolate cheese cake and a superb flan.

By all means, go there and enjoy!

The music is Spanish, too, and good flamenco and assorted.

The bar area in front is nice and a bit more casual, with opening windows in the front, for sidewalk dining in the warmer months!

Always an open bottle for wine by the glass, too!

Nice, fun place, and Jaime is cookin!

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you liked La Paella! We also returned last week for the usual terrific meal. Feel like I've had everything on the menu by now.

I had the blood sausage, which was terrif, and the same pork tenderloin as your wife, which is always a reliable entre. The seafood risotto now has a lobster broth, but they accomodated Leslie by using the old green broth. I always get the rice pudding for dessert.

Jaime does a fabulous job. La Paella is a gem.

• 2 weeks later...

Special Wine and Food Dinner : An Evening in Spain, coming up at La Paella, with wines by Harry's Wine Market, Fairfield, on March 22nd, 6:30

The menu is :

* Pequillo peppers stuffed with crab and avocado in a balsamic reduction

- Jose Pariente Verdejo 2004

* Lamb stew with wild mushrooms and cannelloni beans

- San Roman Toro 2001

* Filet mignon with cabrales clue cheese polenta and black truffle sauce

- Tierras di Luna 2001

* Chocolate cream brulee with fresh berries

- Silvano Garcia Monastrell 2003

WOW ! ! ! :biggrin: anticipation is a wonderful thing!

call Jaime for reservations at 203.831.8636

http://www.lapaellatapaswinebarrestaurant.com/

We are going tonight, also, with 5 people for dinner !