• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philly Felafel

Rich Pawlak

Quite by accident I stopped into the brand spanking new Philly Felafel at 1740 Sansom St., just opened this week. What a great new addition to the dining scene. Run by an Israeli family, it is full of promise.

It's a small, spotlessly clean little cafe, with a open kitchen, a counter display of their various offerings, a large refrigerator case of soft drinks, and a small salad bar to one side. Like Charlie's Water Wheel (R.I.P) and Koch's Deli, eager counter workers pass out felafel balls and latkes for nibbling while waiting in line to order. The menu showcases breakfast omelets, burekas, hummus, and various felafel combinations and platters.

Everything I sampled was superb. A felafel platter included about a dozen small balls, with a puddle of cucumber sauce in the center of the plate, and four crisp crunchy salads bordering the plate. A basket of thick, puffy pita came alongside, and it was good (they also offered whole wheat pita, but I chose regular).

The salad bar includes a really good crunchy cole slaw, a red cabbage salad, fiery hot peppers, green olives, carrots, and roasted cauliflower, all good.

Gotta check this place out folks, looks VERY promising.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Great news! How does this place compare to Maoz Felafel on South Street (where I had an atrocious service experience)?

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Great news!  How does this place compare to Maoz Felafel on South Street (where I had an atrocious service experience)?

For sheer exhuberance and enthusiasm, as well as presentation, Philly Felafel is in a completely different league.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I'd be interested to know how it stacks up against Alyan's. For $7 or whatever they charge, their falafel platter is some of the best bang for your buck eats that I know of. While Maoz's's falafel is inferior, their pitas are sturdier than Alyan's, making for a better falafel sandwich, and I like that you can build your own sandwich from the fixins bar.

While Maoz's's falafel is inferior, their pitas are sturdier than Alyan's, making for a better falafel sandwich, and I like that you can build your own sandwich from the fixins bar.

And you get other people's saliva as a bonus fixin! Dee-licious!

Haven't been back to Maoz since that incident, and doubt I ever will. But Philly Falafel sounds good; I'll try to head over there when I'm in town later in the month...

While Maoz's's falafel is inferior, their pitas are sturdier than Alyan's, making for a better falafel sandwich, and I like that you can build your own sandwich from the fixins bar.

Haven't been back to Maoz since that incident, and doubt I ever will. But Philly Falafel sounds good; I'll try to head over there when I'm in town later in the month...

Uh, hmm, ok, that kind of totally negates the benefits of the fixins bar.

Well, it sounds like Maoz might be worth it as long as you make sure to get there right when they open.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I second the previous post. Had the Falafel platter yesterday, very good. Took it to go, and was still hot and tasty when I got back to the shop.

Philly Falafel balls have the slightest twinge of curry in them, which I enjoy and is new to me. I went the second day they were open and they were so happy. I sat in the window so passersby would see others there enjoying. I love the fries with the sandwich combo - they come sprinkled with fried onions and hot peppers. A nice touch to the usual previously frozen. I couldn't tell if they were using frozen fries or not - I'll have to investigate again.

They did mangle my order - sandwich combo no tomato with fried eggplant inside. I got tomato and no eggplant. Minor kink that will not keep me away. They're right next to my parking garage and nail salon!

Edited to add: they are closed Saturdays and Friday after 3pm.

Edited by Lisa1349 (log)

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

Does that mean that it is a kosher place?

They got the the big K on the top of their take out menu so I assume they are.

And the fries are fresh cut-saw them being done right beind the counter.

The platter was super fresh-a little mild but the do have some kickin hot sauce at the condiment table-which was also stocked with (again) fresh slaw and various pickled things

This place rocks!

Such an inappropriate skit on snl all those years ago, falafel on a stick.

In my travels across Israel as a kid I remember this as a national food. Kind of compares to our hot dog, a falafel stand on just about every corner. They were good and I look forward to trying the ones here.

Edited by Jeff L (log)

All this talk of falafel and no one has mentioned Mama's on 20th just south of Market! Their felafel is very tasty. It is a small restaurant run by Israelis that has felafel, fried eggplant, hummus, and potato pancakes. It has a nice fixings bar with pickled veggies, pan fried hot pepper and cauliflower. It is kosher and not open Friday night and Saturday. I wonder if they are any relation to the people at Philly Falafel.

• 7 months later...

Hey, Philly Felafel is really good! I enjoyed my felafel sandwich this afternoon, the salad options were good (especially these crazy little purple pickled peppers), and while the fries were kinda lackluster, next time I will just ignore them and stick with the felafel.

There's also a dish on the menu whose name escapes me: it's eggs and peppers in a tomato sauce. Has anybody tried it? Looks good.

All this talk of falafel and no one has mentioned Mama's on 20th just south of Market!  Their felafel is very tasty.  It is a small restaurant run by Israelis that has felafel, fried eggplant, hummus, and potato pancakes.  It has a nice fixings bar with pickled veggies, pan fried hot pepper and cauliflower.  It is kosher and not open Friday night and Saturday.  I wonder if they are any relation to the people at Philly Falafel.

I think bigjas, myself, and probably a few others here prefer Mama's over Philly F, but the latter is open later for dinner and such.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

There's also a dish on the menu whose name escapes me: it's eggs and peppers in a tomato sauce.  Has anybody tried it?  Looks good.

Sounds like shakshuka, an Israeli staple. Lots of different recipes, but the eggs and tomatoes are its essence; adding the peppers is common but not required.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

All this talk of falafel and no one has mentioned Mama's on 20th just south of Market!  Their felafel is very tasty.  It is a small restaurant run by Israelis that has felafel, fried eggplant, hummus, and potato pancakes.  It has a nice fixings bar with pickled veggies, pan fried hot pepper and cauliflower.  It is kosher and not open Friday night and Saturday.  I wonder if they are any relation to the people at Philly Falafel.

I think bigjas, myself, and probably a few others here prefer Mama's over Philly F, but the latter is open later for dinner and such.

i do prefer mama's over philly. but it's only a preference in falafel texture--mama's is lighter and softer; philly falafel is denser and heavier. but philly falafel has some kind of herb or spice in there that mama's doesn't do, and that is frickin delicious. and i'm perfectly happy there. last time i mentioned to dude that his falafel had a flavor that no other place had. he said, well, you know, everyone's is different. really it's just a matter of preference.

at both places, the staff is unfailingly nice, the salad bar is salty and acidic and free, and ... well, really i'm just happy they both exist here in the western half of center city.

oh also philly falafel is open on sundays, which is a bonus.

There's also a dish on the menu whose name escapes me: it's eggs and peppers in a tomato sauce.  Has anybody tried it?  Looks good.

Sounds like shakshuka, an Israeli staple. Lots of different recipes, but the eggs and tomatoes are its essence; adding the peppers is common but not required.

Yep, that's it. Thanks!

Such an inappropriate skit on snl all those years ago, falafel on a stick.

In my travels across Israel as a kid I remember this as a national food. Kind of compares to our hot dog, a falafel stand on just about every corner. They were good and I look forward to trying the ones here.

The phrase I once read to describe felafel was "Israel's answer to the hamburger."

I asked Swisskaese over on her foodblog (currently in progress in General Food Topics) whether she made her own.

Her reply was that there are so many good felafel stands everywhere in Israel that there was no point in making your own.

I've had felafel before and liked it, so I'll have to give this place a try.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3