• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

China Tang

If only! Little rich kids on a day off from their boarding school, wealthy (presumably) chinese teenagers smoking during courses. Wine waiter bringing incorrect..... I can't be bothered, it doesn't even deserve any justification. Here is an alternative to my two word review above:

Three words: It was shit.

Edited by Matthew Grant (log)

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

Peking Duck was fine, nothing too special though. Pricey - £9.00 for "classic" fried rice - per person!!! Incredibly dull.

Prawns in spicy salt and pepper - OK, 5 prawns - £22

Gai Lan - £8 (Insert Yawn emoticon here)

Not even offered desserts and coffee. Wine waiter I'm sure attempted to bring me the wrong bottle of wine with the words "This is the wine you ordered sir" when showing it before opening it. Pretty sure it was doule the price of the wine I ordered. Feigned ignorance when I told him it wasn't and was unaware of the wine I had ordered. Smokers everywhere etc. etc.

Can someone (Matthew) fill me in on this establishment? I just got back from a week in Hong Kong so I'm curious about new Asian restaurants in the U.K.

Thanks and Happy Xmas

Stephen

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

This is the new restaurant opned by David Tang (he of Shanghai Tang fame) in the Dorchester. Overpriced, average food without the glamour that you would hoped would have been attached to it. The best bit about it was the classy toilets and the white gloved waiter carving the duck with a cleaver. Surprisingly large as well, I'd hazard a guess that there are 150 - 200 covers in there.

I appreciate that Smoking is an essential part of the Chinese experience but it was the thoughtless smoking that annoyed me and I was surprised that people were smoking despite there being no ashtrays on the table. Lighting up seemed to bring the ashtrays in just a few seconds, pretty much like the rest of the food which arrived within a few minutes of ordering (I'm not actually putting this down as a criticism of the actual food as much Cantonese cuisine can be prepared/finished quickly.)

Edited by Matthew Grant (log)