• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thai Thai in Sterling, NJ

birder53

When I called Thai Thai yesterday to make a reservation for that evening, the woman who answered said they no longer take reservations for parties of two on Friday and Saturday nights. She said it was a change that Tony (the owner) had been wanting to make for while. I said I was disappointed to hear of the change and if I arrived and found I had to wait a long time I would probably not be dining there very often. She assured me that there wouldn't be much of a wait, that the tables turn quickly.

Now, we've been very happily dining at Thai Thai for at least six years and were grateful that we could always seem to get a reservation for two at 6:00 on a Saturday, even by calling at 2:00 that same day. It's a very popular place and empty tables are hard to find even at that early hour. We decided to go anyway since we wanted to stop in at Liquor World next door (great prices on Plymouth Gin and Makers Mark bourbon!)

So, we arrive at 6:00 and see our usual table by the window is taken. As we enter, I see most of the two tops are filled. The owner is nowhere to be seen. :unsure: An unsmiling woman is at the front as hostess along with one of the servers we know. Our normally cheerful server takes us to the table that old stone face has decided we shall have. It is on the end of a busy intersection with heavy traffic to and from the kitchen. We decline and say we will wait, as we see another two top getting ready to leave. We follow her back to the front and she tells the hostess we did not want the table. She sends us to another table which was fine and was empty when we first arrived.

I kept watching the hostess for any hint of a smile. Not even a glimmer! I tell hubby that this is very wrong and Tony must have sold the place. When our server comes with menus, we ask about Tony. He has sold Thai Thai and opened a new place on Rt. 18 in Old Bridge. She assures us that the same chef is in the kitchen here.

The food was good, as usual. The big difference was the dour attitude of the staff. Everyone was usually very bright and cheerful here, notably so. Smiles were hard to find last night. The one server who had been with the previous owner the longest indicates that she had to stay there. Transition agreement?? But she is not happy.

It's disturbing to see how things have changed here. The hostess looks mean, like she'd really like to hit someone. It's hard to believe she is the first and last one you see here now. I wonder how long it will take before changes in the food start to show up.

KathyM

I haven't been in a couple months since I've been at school but ThaiThai is one of the few restaurants I'll eat at in that area. To be honest, I love the quirky nature of the place, and the food is undeniably damn good.

The last time I was there I did notice they had changed the menus and tried to make it a little more serious and upscale. The food, however, was just as good, if not better. I'm not sure if this was before or after the change in owners.

I haven't been in a couple months since I've been at school but ThaiThai is one of the few restaurants I'll eat at in that area.  To be honest, I love the quirky nature of the place, and the food is undeniably damn good.

The last time I was there I did notice they had changed the menus and tried to make it a little more serious and upscale.  The food, however, was just as good, if not better.  I'm not sure if this was before or after the change in owners.

The menu change took place in July of this year. Tony has been there until this weekend. We usually get there at least once a month, and we have never seen this new hostess before. Tony's wife would sometimes be at the front if he weren't there.

One thing that was weird was our server offered to call Tony and let us talk to him. We declined, but there was a gentleman on the phone with him as we left. I don't know if he still has any connection to the place, there are some language difficulties when speaking with some of the staff about anything not directly related to the menu. The good news is that the food was still very good.

KathyM

I'm SO weirded out right now that I don't know where to start! :blink: I was there last night TOO, and had similar issues. Seriously--VERY strange to see this thread in existence this morning.

I have two close friends who live out that way, and Thai Thai has become our go-to when we want to meet up in that part of the world. Each of them has been ordering takeout and going there for years, and they always say that it's nice to walk in there and be welcomed the exact same way every time. The staff fusses over the 2 year-old, know her name, bringing her toys, walking her around so we can eat, etc. They even know what their (respective) regular orders are when they call in!

So we went last night at 5pm, having reserved a table for five of us. Got there, and Miss Stone Face looked at us like we had three heads, the staff fought with her about it b/c they recognized the name/face, and we were finally shown to a table. I noticed that the (physical) menus were new, and we commented on the fact that there were specials on the table as well. All of a minute later, with our menus still open, we were asked if we were ready to order, and said no. But as the waiter turned away, I said "but we could order appetizers..." and he kept going. My friends were already starting to comment on the tone of the staff, and how odd it was, as they were usually very happy and talkative, but not last night.

We had spring rolls, fried tofu and chicken satay for apps, Pad Prik, BKK, a sauteed watercress, and Pad Siam (duck), which I really enjoyed. In the end, the food was great and the service just okay, but we were really set off by the overall tone of the place, and with the $3 charge for a small bowl of rice, which we requested after finishing the large 'community' bowl that was brought to the table with our entrees. We questioned the waiter about it, and he said that was what they did--rice is included the first time, but 'extra' is $3. This is a definite change. At that point, I asked if they had new owners, and he confirmed that, but quickly added "but the same chefs."

At the end of the meal, four adults walked out and the three who live within 5 miles of the place all sighed and said they would probably rethink going back because of the overall change in attitude/atmosphere. What a shame. One friend even mentioned that when you get takeout from them now, the napkins are the same small, thin cheap ones that you find at your local pizzeria. And I completely agree about the 'hostess'--what a complete turnoff she is! Too bad.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Maybe I should have taken advantage of the opportunity to speak with Tony and tell him how things have changed for the worse. Even though there are plenty of Thai restaurants in my area, we've enjoyed the food, service and atmosphere at Thai Thai the best. We did snag a table for two pretty quickly without a reservation, but if we have to put up with a long wait or a unwelcoming hostess, we might not continue to make the trip up there anymore. It's not "just" about the food. Too bad Old Bridge is further than I want to drive for a quick meal. :sad:

KathyM

This sounds serious,

We've been driving 20 minutes to go there every few months from Scotch Plains, not so much because the food is great, (just above average) but because the service is nice, especially for birthdays. Are the employees still singing the happy birthday song? I've never been there once without either someone in my party or another table getting the birthday treatment. If they scowl instead, or demand we order a desert to get a song, we'll just stop going there.

Did anyone see the birthday song/flashing lights there since the change?

:laugh: We were actually amazed that we didn't hear it once last night! But yes, my friends say that they have heard it--as recently as the last few weeks.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Well, if Curlz didn't hear it on Sunday and I didn't on Saturday I'd say that isn't a good sign at all. Try to remember the last time you were there and you didn't hear the birthday song at least once. I think the record for us was three times within an hour and 15 minutes. It could have been four, but hubby didn't want to let on that he was celebrating too.

Curlz, when your friends heard the birthday song, was Tony still there? I have a feeling this is a very recent change. We were just there two weeks ago!

KathyM

Dave said he heard it a week ago.

Meanwhile, having forwarded this thread to both friends, the other one (who has been known to order from there 2-3x a week when she's really on a Thai kick)replied with the following:

The Thai Thai posting is scary. As we were driving home, we commented that it was like dining in the Twilight Zone. You know the staff knows you, and you know they know you know they know you, but they have to act like you are strangers. Talk about an uncomfortable experience. Quite frankly, they may have lost us as customers. I don't understand how that is good business sense. The previous owner was professional and welcoming. The two do not have to be mutually exclusive. Although, evidently this new owner feels they are. Good food only goes so far.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone! This is my first post, I have been lurking for some time. I was very busy during thanksgiving, between vacation as well as hosting 35 people on turkey day. I just saw this post and am so upset!!

We have gone to Thai Thai for many years! So sorry that Tony is no longer there. Obviously this means that Sue (His niece) is not there also.

The interesting thing is that on Tues prior to Thanksgiving, I was so tired of cooking that we did takeout there. The order was different. The Yum cu Chin (Spelled wrong) did look different, as well as the beef masaman. I agree with the others that what made Thai Thai fun was not only the great food, but also the special attention that paid to their guests...

So Sad...Any ideas where he is in Old Bridge? Too far for us, but perhaps if we are in the area...

Kind Regards,

Barb

Edited by barb_b (log)

• 5 weeks later...

One of my friends who was at the "we're charging for extra rice" dinner went back to Thai Thai for takeout last night. He called me today to ask if anyone had posted about the place recently, b/c it's the first time he has been back since that dinner. He was truly disappointed by the food, and said it's the first time ever that dinner from Thai Thai repeated on him. Not a good sign, to say the least!

He and I are speculating that maybe the original chef stuck around for a while but has now left...does anyone know? Anyone been in the last month or two?

I was there a couple weeks ago and found it to be operating normally. I feel like they may have toned down some of the spice in their dishes, but this type of moderate inconsistency is not radically different than numerous other visits.

We haven't been back yet. We tried a local Thai place in Warren last month for lunch and depending on how they handle dinner, that might be a replacement. I'm reluctant to head up to Thai Thai now. We still make the trip up there for the excellent liquor store in the same shopping strip. I'll definitely post if we and when we go back for dinner.

KathyM

Tried to go here tonight for takeout. They weren't answering the phone so I stopped by. The place was mobbed. I couldn't even get in the door to place an order. Now this was Saturday night at 6:30 so bear that in mind. If this placed has slipped the word has yet to get around.

FWIW, ended up going to Bensi which is just down Valley Road. An Italian food factory sort of place with outposts popping up all over northern NJ. Food was ok, about what you'd expect and a big letdown from the Thai food I was craving.

Very interesting--at 5:30 on Friday, Dave said there were only a few tables occupied and a couple of take-out orders waiting on the counter. Guess most people haven't noticed the change.

As for Bensi, I went once (a few years ago) when one opened near me. I had no clue that they were a small chain, but I was completely underwhelmed.

FYI...The Thai place mentioned above in Warren (I have to figure out the quote thing...I am still new!) The owner of the Warren Restaurant was one of the original waiters at Tony's when he first opened. He uses alot of the same recipes that are from Tony's.

Regards,

Barb

So...birder53...have you been back to the place in Warren? Any good for dinner? If so, please share the name! Thanks. :smile:

FYI...The Thai place mentioned above in Warren  (I have to figure out the quote thing...I am still new!)  The owner of the Warren Restaurant was one of the original waiters at Tony's when he first opened.  He uses alot of the same recipes that are from Tony's. 

Regards,

Barb

Barb,

Have you been there for dinner? What is your opinion of this place? I don't want to judge them by lunch as the menu was limited and missing a lot of my favorite dishes. No duck dishes at lunch! :sad: The duck salad at Thai Thai was one of our favorites.

Kathy

KathyM

So...birder53...have you been back to the place in Warren?  Any good for dinner?  If so, please share the name!  Thanks.  :smile:

Curlz - The name is Thai House at 14 Mt. Bethel Road. It's a shopping center with Kings as the anchor and a Starbucks at the other end. I just checked out the website on their takeout menu - Thai House. They have another restaurant in Scotch Plains opposite Bowcraft amusement park on Rt. 22 East. Phone # is 908-548-0124.

I've been cooking up a storm at home, so I don't think we'll be heading over for dinner this weekend, but I promise to report back as soon as we do.

Kathy

KathyM

Kathy,

I only have done take out there. BUT, I have more than once asked for them to prepare something that is on "Thai Thai" menu that is not on theirs. They are very accomodating.

I am sure if there is something specific you are looking for, he has the skill set, ability and ambition to make it. I got the feeling he was trying to decrease the amount of items on the menu so it wasn't so overwelming for the patrons.

As a side note, I heard a rumor that there is a Thai restaurant moving into the Basking Ridge/Warren A&P Area...Dewey Meadows. I have not yet been able to confirm...The rumor was that it was the same owner of Thai House...Will keep you posted if I learn more.

Regards,

Barb

Kathy,

I only have done take out there.  BUT, I have more than once asked for them to prepare something that is on "Thai Thai" menu that is not on theirs.  They are very accomodating. 

I am sure if there is something specific you are looking for, he has the skill set, ability and ambition to make it.  I got the feeling he was trying to decrease the amount of items on the menu so it wasn't so overwelming for the patrons. 

As a side note, I heard a rumor that there is a Thai restaurant moving into the Basking Ridge/Warren A&P Area...Dewey Meadows.  I have not yet been able to confirm...The rumor was that it was the same owner of Thai House...Will keep you posted if I learn more.

Regards,

Barb

Thanks Barb!

I have the Thai Thai menu at home, so I can check it against Thai House to see if there are any of our favorites missing. A good Thai place at Dewey Meadows would be great. The last I heard of new restaurants up there was the addition of a steak/seafood grill next to the pizza place run by the owners of Figaro in Warren. This would also be run by the Figaro folks. There is definitely room for more restaurants in that complex. It's even closer to us than Stirling. Good news!

Thanks for the information.

Kathy

KathyM

Thai House, on Rte 22 across from Bowcraft has been sold in the last three weeks-different chef and manager. Very different food, not nearly as good. Although the menu has not been changed yet or the signage, the credit card paperwork said Siam House. That makes the two standbyes for us both gone.

Anyone been to the Thai restaurant in Clark in the old diner? Now we really don't know where to go!!!!

Thai House, on Rte 22 across from Bowcraft has been sold in the last three weeks-different chef and manager. Very different food, not nearly as good.  Although the menu has not been changed yet or the signage, the credit card paperwork said Siam House.  That makes the two standbyes for us both gone.

Anyone been to the Thai restaurant in Clark in the old diner?  Now we really don't know where to go!!!!

I was there once (the one in Clark). I wasn't impressed. The Chicken Satay appetizer was boring. The other dishes (I don't remember what they were) were just ok. I wouldn't go back.

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

A new Thai restaurant is opening on South Ave in Westfield. We will have to check it out. We also go back years with Thai Thai in Sterling, from when it was 1/2 the size. We went to the one in Clark once and it was OK, but always went back to Thai Thai.