• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Steakhouses in Bergen County

AlwaysCravingThai

Reports are generally good but mixed in some respect about Mignon in Rutherford. It's been discussed here extensively. It definitely does nto have any sense of privacy - it's small and the tables are very close together.

Although I haven't eaten there I've seen some favorable reports about CK's Steakhouse which is in the Renaissance Hotel on Rte 3 at the Rte 17 exit just west of the Meadowlands complex. I suspect they might have a private room option. I don't think it's in the same category as Smith & Wollensky, Peter Luger's etc. but might compare favorably to Ruth's Chris. It's worth investigating and seeking feedback on.

Unusual request-- Europeans usually don't like the American style of cooking steak-- they prefer a pan-grilled version, with different cuts of meat than we typically use.

That being said, have you considered the Chart House in Weehawken? It is a chain, but the view and the setting is exceptional. (Having the NY Skyline in view might be good for business... :huh: )

I definetly have to agree with Rosie on this The Park Steakhouse in Park Ridge right across from the Boston Market on Kinderkamack Road would be my first choice for a business meeting. (Long as the company is picking the tab!) My second choice though a bit further out (about 15 minutes or so) is in Hillburn Mount Fuji - I took the folks from our Germany and Switzerland offices there and they were awed by the food and the views. I highly recommend the steak and... dishes (do NOT get steak alone trust me!) They use Kobe beef and it is to die for and they have a gracious bar area/lounge and great private seating and public seating areas too. Goodluck.

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Mignon definitely wouldn't work for space/noise/privacy. Trust me!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 4 weeks later...
River Palm Terrace

Had our board dinner at River Palm. Very unimpressed with the evening. Service wasn't very good (had my same steak knife all night). Steak was overdone and tasteless (filet) as was my lobster tail. Unexcusable for a $60+ plate! I wouldn't go back given the quality of Morton's or Ruth Chris. I would rather go to Outback!

River Palm Terrace

Had our board dinner at River Palm. Very unimpressed with the evening. Service wasn't very good (had my same steak knife all night). Steak was overdone and tasteless (filet) as was my lobster tail. Unexcusable for a $60+ plate! I wouldn't go back given the quality of Morton's or Ruth Chris. I would rather go to Outback!

I won't say "told you so" but... The Park Steakhouse or The Porterhouse would have been a better choice for a meeting though the first not the latter. Stop in and see if you don't agree with me. :-)

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

while i agree that the Park Steakhouse is pretty decent (for what it is), they're not serving USDA prime dry-aged beef, as far as i know. that's a sticking point for me. at least the River Palm does. however i don't find the River Palm very good.

on a related note, i wouldn't expect much flavor out of filet. though it should be done properly and have a nice char to it. that's the whole point. if they drop the ball on that then they're finished.

i admit it it: i'm a steak snob. and i just can't get jazzed about *any* steakhouse in northern NJ. i'd rather buy a nice purple piece of meat at Whole Foods and throw it on the grill.

My two cents:

I once went to Palm, Shula's (Times Square), Frank & Johnny's (Hoboken) and Morton's (Riverside Square Mall) in the space of about two or three months. I liked the food and the ambience at F&J's the most, followed by Shula's, Morton's and Palm.

~ Ken

i admit it it:  i'm a steak snob.  and i just can't get jazzed about *any* steakhouse in northern NJ.  i'd rather buy a nice purple piece of meat at Whole Foods and throw it on the grill.

Tommy you have to check out Prime butcher shop in Fort Lee on main before leonia. They sell 21day or more house dry aged cuts they also carry Wagyu, cheeses, and some dry goods.

while i agree that the Park Steakhouse is pretty decent (for what it is), they're not serving USDA prime dry-aged beef, as far as i know.  that's a sticking point for me.  at least the River Palm does.  however i don't find the River Palm very good.

on a related note, i wouldn't expect much flavor out of filet.  though it should be done properly and have a nice char to it.  that's the whole point.  if they drop the ball on that then they're finished. 

i admit it it:  i'm a steak snob.  and i just can't get jazzed about *any* steakhouse in northern NJ.  i'd rather buy a nice purple piece of meat at Whole Foods and throw it on the grill.

Hi Tommy, they said in a recent email to me (the park steakhouse that is) that they have dry aged beef so you may want to call them to ask... or check their site maybe? Hope that changes your mind btw their bar and drink menu is great! (and I'm pretty much a non-drinker but like somethin good on occasion!)

while i agree that the Park Steakhouse is pretty decent (for what it is), they're not serving USDA prime dry-aged beef, as far as i know.  that's a sticking point for me.  at least the River Palm does.  however i don't find the River Palm very good.

on a related note, i wouldn't expect much flavor out of filet.  though it should be done properly and have a nice char to it.  that's the whole point.  if they drop the ball on that then they're finished. 

Hi Tommy, they said in a recent email to me (the park steakhouse that is) that they have dry aged beef so you may want to call them to ask... or check their site maybe? Hope that changes your mind btw their bar and drink menu is great! (and I'm pretty much a non-drinker but like somethin good on occasion!)

but it's not USDA Prime. :)

and they're charging as much for that non-prime beef as Luger, Wolfgang's, and Ben & Jack's. $76 for porterhouse for 2.

i started out liking The Park. however, i've had a few bad service experiences (same person. just not very good or knowledgeable). for that price i'll eat in NYC and have, for the most part, a better piece of beef and better service.

Steak Houses are not my forte, but I've always seen The Assembly in Englewood Cliffs advertise its menu as "Prime Steak".

If this place really has Prime, you could save a long trip into the city. Anyone been to this place?

Steak Houses are not my forte, but I've always seen The Assembly in Englewood Cliffs advertise its menu as "Prime Steak". 

If this place really has Prime, you could save a long trip into the city.  Anyone been to this place?

the other half of the equation is if it's dry-aged. i've read nothing suggesting that Assembly is serving USDA Prime dry-aged beef.

and getting to Englewood is more difficult than getting to the city, depending on where one lives! hell, haven't i had arguments with you about how fast one can get to the upper west side?!? you stating how fast it is, and me suggesting that sometimes people like to just avoid driving into the city? bizzarogullet.com.

Nah, we've had our share of disagreements, but going to the city isn't one of them... I've often gone in just for a little shopping in Zabar's or Fairway, and the UWS is pretty easy. Peter Luger is a journey, though.

This place is in Englewood Cliffs, but Englewood is pretty convenient, IMHO. It's just 2 minutes off Route 4, and is undergoing quite a renaissance. They just razed an old building on a complete square block and when the new one is finished, Englewood just might begin to rival Ridgewood as a viable downtown area.

Like I said, steak is not my thing. I wouldn't know a dry-aged one from a wet-aged. (??) (Is there such a thing?) :rolleyes:

If this place really has Prime, you could save a long trip into the city.  Anyone been to this place?

I went to Assembly once. The steak they serve is okay but it's choice. However their prices are prime.

:D

I went to Assembly once. The steak they serve is okay but it's choice. However their prices are prime.

their only web presence (from what i can see - ardore.com) seems to suggest "Prime". although they don't say "USDA Prime". maybe they think they have prime steaks. along with prime customers. and prime entertainment.

the fact that their only web presence is ardore.com is another reason i won't bother going.

Edited by tommy (log)

I'm with Tommy on this one. The steakhouses in NJ charge just as much as their NYC cousins, but don't offer the same experience or steak. Yeah, the Brick House is fine, the River Palm is ok, Mignon has its appeal, but it says a lot when the best steak I've had in NJ was at South City Grill in Rochelle Park. Whole Foods in Ridgewood has consistently good steaks, and on occasion will offer dry aged prime. Its one of the few things I miss from NJ.

Northern Dutchess county REALLY needs an upscale steakhouse. I'm saving my pennies...

A

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

I would agree whith everyone on Assembly I have dined there a few times with a group (read:not my choice) and was unimpressed everytime. In the area your best bet is Prime and Beyond butcher shop in Ft.Lee just go and pick up a nice prime dry-aged steak and cook it up yourself.

Has anyone been to the Strip House in Livingston? I think that it is a branch of a NYC steak house.  I've heard good rumblings.

I've been there a few times. It is right next to my office. It is a great place for steak in NJ. I am not really a steak person and that is certainly the focus.

The decor is a bit garish. In my humble opinion.

I also prefer BYOB restaurants because I love wine, Strip House has a liquor license with a pretty good wine list but selections by the glass are not that great.

It is certainly not a favorite but if you want steak in that area it is probably your best choice.

Peter Conway

Mano A Vino Montclair Food and Wine Blog

Edited by Peter Conway (log)

Peter Conway

Food and Wine Guy

Mano A Vino Montclair Food and Wine Blog