• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where can I get really good paella in Bergen/Hudson county NJ?

jasper

If you're game to go in to Hudson, your best bet is to go a little further and go to one of the places in the Ironbound, Jasper! Iirc, most of the places in Hudson are Brazilian/Latin American--far fewer Spanish and Portuguese restaurants, which is what you really need.

Personal favorites: Casa Vasca for authentic food and to hang where the locals are, and for more atmosphere/scene (and more $), Adega Grill.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

If you're looking for a drier paella that uses authentic paella rice, is less soupy and focuses more on high quality of ingredients rather than quantity... I don't think there's a place in Ironbound or any other part of the Newark area that will satisfy you.

Some are better than others but having tried it at Seabra's Marisqueria, Spain, Casa de Vasca, Brasil, Iberia and also Iberia Peninsula (different than Iberia but same owners and across the street from one another)... I always found it to be satisfying but less than authentic.

Oddly enough the best paellla I ever had when I lived in Norhte Jersy was at Cafe Iguana in Manhattan (west 40's near 7th or 8th Ave). It's a moderately upscale Mexican joint that has a big bar scene on Thursday nights and a disco downstairs.

I met a friend there for drinks one afternoon and we ended up staying for dinner. The paella had better quality ingredient than I ever had in Ironbound, a better balance of rice to "stuff" and had a nicely developed soccarat (sp?) on the bottom of the pan it was served in.

The paella at....

115 Grove Street

Montclair, NJ

was delish - big serving, too. Must return...

(oops. not bergan/hudson - is essex. sry....)

Edited by waves2ya (log)

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...

The paella at....

115 Grove Street

Montclair, NJ

was delish - big serving, too.  Must return...

(oops.  not bergan/hudson - is essex.  sry....)

They have a new chef at 115 Grove and we were extremely disappointed with the paella and dinner we had there a few weeks ago.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

The paella at Tapas de Espana in Englewood is excellent. Far superior to the stuff in the Ironbound, IMHO. Nice environment as well.

Tapas de Espana

47 North Dean St

Englewood

201-569-9999

They have their original restaurant in North Bergen, but I am not familiar with that one.

El Cid in 205 Paramus Rd Paramus or maybe Sevilla 505 Main Ave Passaic, NJ not sure if both are still around...

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

They have a new chef at 115 Grove and we were extremely disappointed with the paella and dinner we had there a few weeks ago.

Whoa... Did'ja tell the Barista? Too bad - that guy could cook. Hope he turns up somewhere local. And cheap.

Thks Rosie...

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...

The paella at Tapas de Espana in Englewood is excellent.  Far superior to the stuff in the Ironbound, IMHO.  Nice environment as well. 

Tapas de Espana

47 North Dean St

Englewood

201-569-9999

They have their original restaurant in North Bergen, but I am not familiar with that one.

Actually I wouldn't agree that that their paella is "far superior" to what is served at Casa Vasca or any number of good Ironbound Spanish restaurants. As far as I can tell they don't even use real saffron in their paella and the seafood gets overcooked.

That being said paella is not their strongest dish -- their Arroz con Pollo is. It's by far one of the best I've had in the area and a great value. Although I think the original North Bergen location does a -somewhat- better job.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Whoa... Did'ja tell the Barista? Too bad - that guy could cook. Hope he turns up somewhere local. And cheap.

Thks Rosie...

Guy is gone. Woman is in. But then I saw that the restaurant in the Montclair Times was listed as American. A few weeks ago it was listed as Spanish.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Ive been searching for a place in the Bergen/Hudson county area  that serves a good authentic Paella.  Every where I go  seems to let me down.  Any suggestions?

jasper

if you dont mind traveling into NYC there is a place in the village on 4th street called tio pepe. On weekends they have a paella festival with diferent paella dishes for 12.95. Another place that had excellent paella was AZUCAR which is cuban and located near columbus circle on eigth ave

tom