• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BYO's in the Bridgewater, Raritan area?

Jeff L

We are meeting with friends this Saturday around where 202 and 287 converge. We've been meeting at the Ruby Tuesday around there for years and frankly it's getting kind of old. These folks prefer to bring their own wine as do we.

Any suggestions for good quality byo's in this neck of the woods is appreciated.

There are a lot of decent restaurants (esp Thai, for some reason) in Somerset/Bridgewater. Unfortunately, I don't know the names of any of them as I don't live near there, but maybe some other folks will jump in with their thoughts. We just can't have you going to Ruby Tuesday's again! :blink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

In Somerville these are all BYO and not far from Bridgewater:

Aladdin's Restaurant

Chao Phaya

Chao Thaya

Filippo's

Martino’s

Origin

Shumi

Thai Chef

My choice would be Origin.

Rosie, thanks. Can you tell me a little about the others, what type cuisine. Why Origin?

Jeff

Aladdin's Restaurant--Turkish

Chao Phaya--Thai

Filippo's--Italian

Martino’s--Cuban

Origin--Thai French

Shumi--sushi

Thai Chef--Thai

Pick your cuisine. They're all good but I happen to be partial to Origin. Filippo's is solid Italian and you can't go wrong. Shumi is one of the best Japanese IMHO if you like sushi. They don't have the fancy rolls.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Girasole is the other place I was thinking about recommending. (Seriously, I had a post for this thread early on all written up but I never ended up posting it). But yeah, Girasole isn't bad. I don't think it's as good as everyone says but one of the best in the area. You definitely need resos in advance there, too.

yes, origin is a good choice, I keep forgetting about it. My sister used to live in somerville, so it was more on my radar. Service can be spotty, ( haven't been in over a year, that might have gotten better) but really fresh, well prepared food..I remember one shrimp broth based soup that was outstanding..complex flavors, spicy..but somehow light and refreshing. I gotta go back.

OK, this is why I am so enthralled with E gullet. We just got back from having maybe one of the best meals ever at Origin. Had it not been for Rosie and others here, none of us would have known about Sommerville NJ let alone this amazing restaurant.

We got there about 7:45 and it was packed. We were not rushed in any way yet the service was amazingly efficient without being pushy. There were a few large parties and we were a party of four. We started with the house salad and that wonderful balsamic dressing. This was just a small taste of what was to come. Nice and refreshing and enjoyed by all.

Next we ordered the diver scallop appetizer, pad thai and marinated tuna and shared them among the four of us. The Pad Thai was the best I've ever had and that includes some of what I thought was the best French-Thai places in Philly, (Allouette and Nan). The salad of endamame and little bits of cucumber and carot were almost as good as the sushi grade tuna even though you had to look hard for the tuna because it was such a small portion! The scallops were absolute perfection and I can' t even tell you how they were prepared, just get them if you go.

Entrees were the PHUKET JUMBO SHRIMP which was really wonderful. Major garlic influence and other great spices although I can't tell you what they were.

Next were 2 orders of the free range chicken which left scant bones after being inhaled by 2 of our party! Pretty wild because I didn;t even get to taste it!

I ordered, are you ready, Osso Bucco. Yeah a French Thai place with this. Guess what, best Osso Bucco I ever had including my own which is damn good. There was so much going on with this dish I can't begin to describe it but I will get it again.

After three and a half bottles of really nice wine, we were ready for dessert. We got the carmelized bananas and rasberry sorbet. Good choice Jeff! Also we got the fried ice cream. This is not Chi-Chi's fried ice cream. This is a really nice end to an extraordinary meal. The bananas were not carmelized but still proved to be a great dessert.

Did I mention that we drove an hour to meet with friends? Did I mention we will be going back tomorrow night just because it's open and we can?!!

The service was professional and didn't miss a beat. The fact that such great food comes out of the small kitchen on such a busy night is testament to this place being awarded a 27 for food by Zagat. As I was leaving I picked up a bottle of chile plum sauce and went over to pay for it. I started talking to Thana, the manager and he learned I was directed to the place from EG and said no charge. I insisted on paying and he said my gift to you! What a nice touch!!

This is my new favorite resaurant, thanks Rosie thanks EG!