• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Are you ready for some . . .

Rebel Rose

In other topics, primarily those dealing with artisanal vs. global winemaking techniques, we have questions about oak cooperage, malolactic fermentations, fining, filtering, micro-oxygenation, whole cluster vs. whole berry fermenting . . .

Are you guys ready to absorb and question some specific topics on these issues?

Are there other winemaking techniques you would like to have presented as separate topics?

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

And ABV levels/trends (since that's already going in another thread). Your views, as a person, not corporate, please.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

ABV as it relates to winemaking would be useful

e.g. ripeness (phenolic) in warm climate = high brix = higher ABV when completely fermented

this alone is very controversial not only for the global warming people but also because of what is ripeness

Erk. You guys are really working me here. The ABV and ripeness-by-phenolics issue is highly controversial even within the field. Looks like it's time to line up some guest speakers for the winter months. In the meantime, I can start working on a piece on some of the general issues that individual wineries face when bringing in fruit. Phenolic ripeness is almost a 301 topic, but if you feel you're ready . . . .

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Bring it on Mary. All good ideas.

I'll raid my Rolodex and see if I can think of any good speakers for specific subjects.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

ripeness-by-phenolics issue is highly controversial even within the field

Not to stir the pot, but what is the controversy? Granted, I follow the wine industry about as closely as my fingernail length, but I have some experience with chemistry, biology, and biochemistry, so I'm curious what it looks like in the wine field.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

...hmmm... might be able to get an Aussie wine personality to chime in on the guest speaker forum side of things...

...but... sign me up for Vino due cent'uno please!! (wanky way of saying Wine 201)....

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

In other topics, primarily those dealing with artisanal vs. global winemaking techniques, we have questions about oak cooperage, malolactic fermentations, fining, filtering, micro-oxygenation, whole cluster vs. whole berry fermenting . . .

Are you guys ready to absorb and question some specific topics on these issues?

Are there other winemaking techniques you would like to have presented as separate topics?

I too believe I am suffering the effects of micro-oxygenation!

:wacko:

This is a very good idea!

However, I am not sure categorizing wine making techniques into global and artisinal categories will work.

In essence those categories are too neat--there is a lot of overlapping in this area.

I think a good discussion of each technique should include--a description, the history (who, when)

what the technique was intended to accomplish, its impact on the wine-- followed by a discussion of the pros and cons noting any controversy.

For eg. Oak. Covering vats, small barriques and what impact each has on wine. Noting toast etc.

Then also noting alternatives like oak chips etc that are used by large producers.

Basically, the arguments for and against should come last.

Another thought.

would be nice to end each "treatise" with a good comparative example. That is for oak easily obtainable and inexpensive examples of an oaked and unoaked wine. Would allow us to actually taste the topic!

Just a thought!

Actually, I don't plan to tackle whether a technique is traditional or modern--I'll leave that up to our members to debate. I will try to present some topics on specific winemaking techniques, similar to the Wine 101 pieces on tannin and sulfites, but addressing more production issues than consumption issues.

We have a guest conversation on oak cooperage with barrel broker Mel Knox here:

A Conversation with Mel Knox, Barrel broker on oak and cooperage

Mel is highly entertaining, and this thread is a good place to start learning about the different types and densities of oak, degrees of toast, forests, etc. Feel free to continue posting in this thread.

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook