• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BCLDB Wine Finds

James Kendal

....Thank God the smaller concerns don't play with the big boy i.e. Kettle Valley, Blue Mountain, Laughing Stock etc. It's really only the wineries producing large amounts (more than 10,000 cases) that are giving in. Just my opinion.....Further thought: if the BCLDB is not going to privatize then they should consider modifying the distribution system to allow for consignment like the LCBO..... At a minimum we would see more interesting wines in the system and less corporate wines.

Blue Mountain has sold to the LCBO here in Ontario and I have bought their reserve Pinot here in Toronto (does not come in all the time but I have seen it on the shelf). Consignment works well in Ontario but its hard sometimes to buy a whole case....thank god some agents are getting special 6 packs from wineries. That said, Marquis in Vancouver gets more selection of much harder to find stuff (speaking of California stuff) than agents that I am aware of here in Toronto get, although its very hard to find out what agents rep certain products. As many know, its not like I need more wine to buy....arghhhh mailer hell in the US continues.

officially left egullet....