• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Animal Labels

Rebel Rose

The Vancouver Courier reports a rumor that the BCLCD may put a freeze on "critter labels." I don't understand the article's point :unsure: but it made me wonder if it would be fun to list here the labels we are familiar with that employ an animal figure or logo.

Photos welcome! :wink: Maybe price points, too.

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

This should get things rolling...

Here's a link to a label from a bottle of Émotion Sauvage (wild emotion), a red wine made from hybrid grapes (have never succeeded in finding out which) by Françoise Berguer of Domaine des Gondettes in Satigny, Switzerland, near Geneva. The one bottle I've seen was an importation valise from Europe; I believe the quoted price was around €10.

Hey, you asked! :biggrin:

Edited, with carswell's permission, to remove copyrighted label and provide a link instead.

Edited by Brad Ballinger (log)

:: There are not enough emoticons to convey my reaction. ::  :laugh:

Where did you find that bottle?  :shock:

Vacationing friends ran across it in a wine store in the Jura. It has taken pride of place in their collection. Something tells me the wine won't be making it onto the shevles of the BCLCB though, critter label freeze or not.

I can't touch Carswell's fine post, but in the spirit of the original request here are a few that come to mind....

Rabbit Ridge

Fairview Goats do Roam

Fairview Goat Roti

Grog's leap

Stag's Leap

Stags' Leap

Cheval Blanc

Ravenswood

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I can't touch Carswell's fine post, but in the spirit of the original request here are a few that come to mind....

Rabbit Ridge

Fairview Goats do Roam

Fairview Goat Roti

Grog's leap

Stag's Leap

Stags' Leap

Cheval Blanc

Ravenswood

Grog's Leap? A herd of stags? :huh:

Dat's otay. It's Sunday morning. Which means . . . last night was Saturday night, right? :raz:

On with the list:

Castoro Cellars (Il Castoro, Italian for 'beaver')

O'Reilly in Oregon features a wolfhound on the label.

And let's not forget Cooper Creek's Cat's Pee on a Gooseberry Bush

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

For those unfamiliar with it, may I suggest Peter May's delightful internet site for unual names and labels. Peter's site can be found at http://www.winelabels.org/ .

Methinks, by the way, that some of the labels posted on this thread came from that site and that it would have been gentlemanly to give credit to the source

Edited by Daniel Rogov (log)

I've seen quite a few, but these two come to mind at the moment:

Bearboat

Toasted head (fire breathing bear)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

I'll add a couple from Naramata, British Columbia. There's Elephant Island Orchard Wineries, Red Rooster Winery and Paradise Ranch Icewines.

From elsewhere in the Okanagan Valley, there's Burrowing Owl in Oliver, Wild Goose in Okanagan Falls and the painted turtle of Nk'Mip Cellars in Osoyoos.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

From this side of the world, we have a modest selection:

- Fox Creek, McLaren Vale

- Wolf Blass (someone's name, but they have the German Eagle all over their labels)

- Duck Muck, Heathcote (you should all know this one!!)

- Yellow Tail... duh...

I'm sure there are more, and I"ll see if I can find some more.

On a more general note, I think for many New World producers like the US and Australia, our empathies for all things nature and wildlife related, given a dominant outdoor lifestyle, must inevitable be reflected on things like labels and names. I mean, one can easily do a study on just how many Chateau's and Villa's and Castello's there are too no?

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

i love smoking loon but....

my very favorite is a gift from the johnnybird many years ago. i have never had the wine though it would be lovely to have a bottle

it is a framed print of the original artwork and the label signed and numbered by the artist 103/3000(sorry, can't read the sig). it is Belvedere wolf picture called Gifts of the Land 1984 York Creek Vinyards and it is one of my most prized posessions

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I am simply thrilled to post these, both of which are in my collection:

Big Moose Red (completely acceptable red table wine; my bro bought me 1/2 a case for my b'day last year)

And last week, I accidently came across 3 Blind Moose, which is made by Canandaigua Wine Company; my dad tells me they're bigger than Gallo. I haven't tried it yet, but the label is what got me--and for $7.98/bottle... :biggrin: And the logo and text is hysterical, right up to and including a silhouette on the top of the capsule!

If you haven't yet figured out MY favorite animal, check my avatar. :wink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

And last week, I accidently came across 3 Blind Moose, which is made by Canandaigua Wine Company; my dad tells me they're bigger than Gallo.  I haven't tried it yet, but the label is what got me--and for $7.98/bottle...  :biggrin:  And the logo and text is hysterical, right up to and including a silhouette on the top of the capsule!

If you haven't yet figured out MY favorite animal, check my avatar.  :wink:

evie - don't be too upset by the 3 blind moose. yeah, they are bigger thangallo but canandaigua wines tend to be really sweet..

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

There are almost too many to mention from Upstate NY... Bully Hill has lots:

Banty Red

Bulldog Baco Noir

Heritage Red

and of course, Love My Goat, Le Goat Blush, and Goat White.

There were more good ones back when Walter S ___ was illustrating the labels, some charming anthropomorphic raccoons and the like... but the labels aren't quite as exciting these days.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Talked to my dad (a legit wine guy), and he said he had no time to post right now, BUT...

"It's unfair to make a statement about Canandaigua all being sweet...sure Mogan David is sweet, but they own so MANY wineries (too many for me to even think about) in the range of wine there are dry/drier and driest. Look up Canadahguia web site and see how many labels they describe!

And if you want to add to the collection discussed...add Faithful Hound a spectacular Bordeaux blend made by Mulderbosch/Stellenbosch in South Africa...when we were there, we met the dog..I have a pic of him taking a log to the fireplace."

I can vouch for said photo--it's hysterical! Their dog has been trained to stock the fireplace. When it's not lit. I hope. :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Oops, can't forget Duckhorn's Paraduxx and their support of wetlands in the Pacific flyways.

Good point, PCL, about a difference in the things we revere in the New World. One might argue that Old World producers have always placed so much emphasis on place, and therefore their crumbling old buildings are a symbol of their identity as vintners. New World vintners continue that connection by naming their wines after soil, rocks, and places.

But you gotta love the animal labels and the humor that often goes hand in hand with them. Animals have a place in everyone's heart.

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook