• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

rrigreid

rrigreid

On 10/26/2005 at 4:27 PM, Redsugar said:

“Give us the tools and we’ll get the job done.” ~ Churchill

Occasionally, I read a post on eG which is, at once, charming and instructive – and FistFullaRoux has delivered ideally! The traditional goose-feather brush consists of selected feathers lashed together for half its approx. 7-inch length. Like birch-twig whisks, it is possibly bought more often for its “folksy” decorative appearance than for its functional efficiency. We ought to do more than simply wax nostalgic for the feather pastry brushes: Lo and behold, it is a culinary answer-to-prayer when you see how splendidly it applies the thinnest possible egg-white glaze to delicate pastry lattices & shells.

In the broader view, the best general purpose brushes are either flat- or round-headed in design, and made of sterilized hog’s bristles set securely (one hopes!) in plain wooden handles. Flat brushes are designed much like house-painter’s brushes, with the bristles fastened into a tinned-steel band. Round brushes usually have the bristles secured directly into the handle, perhaps with an adhesive, such as non-interactive, non-toxic glue.

Nylon bristles are harder and less resilient than bristle. A major advantage of the silicone brushes is resistence to melting within a specified temperature range stated by the manufacture. (These brushes are widely distributed throughout the marketplace, as they can be found stocked, not only by kitchen/restaurant-equipment suppliers, but also in department & hardware stores.)

I’ve generally been satisfied using the various brushes I’ve purchased from King Arthur Flour Co. over the years. And the Oxo® pastry brushes are winners, too.

I would like to see greater availability of black-bristled brushes. The reason is akin to why I prefer to use brown-shelled eggs: A stray, colored bristle (or bit of eggshell) is more readily seen during most prep work than a neutral of white one. Otherwise, it might find it's way into the dental interstices of a guest's mouth!

[Edited for textual emphasis.)  https://kitchenprofy.de/backpinsel-test/

This is the third pastry brush I'm using to brush simple syrup in my cakes and the hairs on the brush come off and stick to the cake. is there a pastry brush you own that doesn't shed its hair? I am willing to pay big bucks for a good one instead of these ones I get at the grocery store. This last one was from Sur La Table too. I'm taking it back. Please share your tips if you have something else you use to brush syrup into cakes with if you don't use a brush also. Thanks a bunch!!!!!!!!

rrigreid

rrigreid

On 10/26/2005 at 4:27 PM, Redsugar said:

“Give us the tools and we’ll get the job done.” ~ Churchill

Occasionally, I read a post on eG which is, at once, charming and instructive – and FistFullaRoux has delivered ideally! The traditional goose-feather brush consists of selected feathers lashed together for half its approx. 7-inch length. Like birch-twig whisks, it is possibly bought more often for its “folksy” decorative appearance than for its functional efficiency. We ought to do more than simply wax nostalgic for the feather pastry brushes: Lo and behold, it is a culinary answer-to-prayer when you see how splendidly it applies the thinnest possible egg-white glaze to delicate pastry lattices & shells.

In the broader view, the best general purpose brushes are either flat- or round-headed in design, and made of sterilized hog’s bristles set securely (one hopes!) in plain wooden handles. Flat brushes are designed much like house-painter’s brushes, with the bristles fastened into a tinned-steel band. Round brushes usually have the bristles secured directly into the handle, perhaps with an adhesive, such as non-interactive, non-toxic glue.

Nylon bristles are harder and less resilient than bristle. A major advantage of the silicone brushes is resistence to melting within a specified temperature range stated by the manufacture. (These brushes are widely distributed throughout the marketplace, as they can be found stocked, not only by kitchen/restaurant-equipment suppliers, but also in department & hardware stores.)

I’ve generally been satisfied using the various brushes I’ve purchased from King Arthur Flour Co. over the years. And the Oxo® pastry brushes are winners, too.

I would like to see greater availability of black-bristled brushes. The reason is akin to why I prefer to use brown-shelled eggs: A stray, colored bristle (or bit of eggshell) is more readily seen during most prep work than a neutral of white one. Otherwise, it might find it's way into the dental interstices of a guest's mouth!

[Edited for textual emphasis.)

This is the third pastry brush I'm using to brush simple syrup in my cakes and the hairs on the brush come off and stick to the cake. is there a pastry brush you own that doesn't shed its hair? I am willing to pay big bucks for a good one instead of these ones I get at the grocery store. This last one was from Sur La Table too. I'm taking it back. Please share your tips if you have something else you use to brush syrup into cakes with if you don't use a brush also. Thanks a bunch!!!!!!!!