• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Electric kettle & thermal carafe combination?

lorea

I've been searching (in vain) for an electric kettle to boil water in, but stays warm for long periods of time. Does anybody know of one?

I see many types of electric kettles that boil water then turn off, but they don't seem to have any kind of insulation in order to keep the water warm.

On the other hand, I see many types of thermal carafes that are insulated, but there's no way to boil water in them.

I'm lazy....I want to boil my water and keep it warm, but I don't want to have to transfer the water from a kettle to a carafe. And I'd like to save on energy costs, so I don't want the pot to continually keep the water warm (not to mention, it makes the water taste stale).

I see hotpots on the market that both boil and keep the water warm, but I don't want to continue to keep using electricity to keep my water warm.

Any ideas?

The closest cookware to what you are looking for is Kuhn Rikons Durotherm pots. If they can only apply the same idea/principle to water kettle or even to vacuum-type coffee maker.

Gato ming gato miao busca la vida para comer

I'm guessing from your comments that Kuhn Rikon does not currently produce something like this?

If that's the case, then what do the rest of you do throughout the day for hot water for your tea?

I'm lazy....I want to boil my water and keep it warm, but I don't want to have to transfer the water from a kettle to a carafe.  And I'd like to save on energy costs, so I don't want the pot to continually keep the water warm (not to mention, it makes the water taste stale).

I see hotpots on the market that both boil and keep the water warm, but I don't want to continue to keep using electricity to keep my water warm.

Any ideas?

I make my coffee in a 1940 silex vacuum coffee brewer and pour it into a thermos carafe like this:

http://citychef.ca/xcart/customer/product....4866a472e26ac83

Gato ming gato miao busca la vida para comer

What about using a coffee maker with a thermal carafe, and then just running wather through it? I got a free coffee maker with carafe (from Gevalia) and since I rarely drink coffee, I used it mostly for making and keeping hot water. The only problem is that coffee water (to me) is a bit too cool for making a good pot of tea. That being said, you gotta take what you can get!

My brother uses one of these sunbeam tea makers Most often, he just puts the water through it and has a pot of hot water available.

Or perhaps something like this

I suppose this might be a little excessive.

There's always a tea pod

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

What about using a coffee maker with a thermal carafe, and then just running wather through it?  I got a free coffee maker with carafe (from Gevalia) and since I rarely drink coffee, I used it mostly for making and keeping hot water.  The only problem is that coffee water (to me) is a bit too cool for making a good pot of tea.  That being said, you gotta take what you can get!

Hmm...that's actually a good idea (and I drink a lot of green tea, so cooler is okay, I think). Unfortunately, I ordered one of those thermal carafes from Gevalia and the freaking carafe leaks all over the place from weird seams, so I didn't have a very good impression of it afterwards.

Still in search of the perfect electric kettle/thermal carafe combo....thanks for all of your responses!

I've been searching (in vain) for an electric kettle to boil water in, but stays warm for long periods of time.  Does anybody know of one?

I see many types of electric kettles that boil water then turn off, but they don't seem to have any kind of insulation in order to keep the water warm.

On the other hand, I see many types of thermal carafes that are insulated, but there's no way to boil water in them.

I'm lazy....I want to boil my water and keep it warm, but I don't want to have to transfer the water from a kettle to a carafe.  And I'd like to save on energy costs, so I don't want the pot to continually keep the water warm (not to mention, it makes the water taste stale).

Any ideas?

i use a zojirushi electric dispensing pot. sadly, it does use electric to hold the water temp in the pot after boiling. but the coolest thing is that it filters the water and you have your choice of 3 holding temperatures, one for green tea(175), one for black tea(195) and one for (french press) coffee(208). my pot holds 5 liters.

this is the model that i have

Zojirushi Panorama Window® Micom Electric Dispensing Pot CD-LCC50

(edited to add model #)

Edited by azlee (log)