• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

San Domenico v. Cafe Des Artistes v. JoJo?

weinhen

This is my first post at e-gullet so I hope this turns out properly. If it doesn't, my apologies in advance.

Our anniversary is the 25th of this month and I made reservations at Ilo only to get the sense that this will not be a sure-fire spectacular experience. Recent reviews seem about 25% positive. So now we're considering the three listed above. Yes I know that they're all quite different - apples, oranges and figs so to speak.

Anyone have recent experience at these spots? I've never been to SD and would like to try the soft egg ravioli if they still make it. Any help would be appreciated, but obviously I have to move swiftly.

Thanks - Weinhen

Weinhen-

welcome to eGullet, and congratulations on your anniversary. Your choices offer starkly different experiences, which make it difficult to comment on which is more "spectacular."

perhaps you could elaborate on what would make your dinner a sure fire spectacular? Are you looking for superb design and plating, a buzz in the room, unusual and unexpected combinations? a French accent to the food, or a wine list brimming with hard to find choices?

perhaps you could also add a little about places you DON'T like and the reasons for that perception

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Rail Paul, et al:

Thanks for the welcome and the congratulations.

Since this will be an anniversary celebration, I suppose romantic would be a prime consideration, but not second to quality of the food. I realize that Cafe Des Artistes would be #1 on the romantic scale but am unsure of their food quality. Reading their sample menu online suggested very simply prepared and maybe a little stodgy food. I guess this implies that we prefer something a little more on the inventive side (although it needn't be wildly inventive, a la Liebrandt/Atlas).

What we tend to dislike are restaurants that are hyped big time yet fail to deliver. A good example was another anniversary dinner a few years ago at Aureole which was ok but not nearly commensurate with their pricing. Don't mind spending $$$ but...

Wine lists are important but it's not vital to me to have rare, stratospherically priced bottles available - I probable wouldn't order them anyway. Interesting, affordable lists are more my style.

My hope with this post is to tap the experience of folks who have recently dined at the above three and could provide some updated insight on their current status.

I hope these clarifications help and thanks again.

Weinhen

weinhen, I also want to say "Welcome!"  

I have never been to JoJo, so I can't comment from personal experience.  But I think the reviews from those who have been there since it re-opened have been mixed.  I recall something about tables being tiny and cramped, not very good service -- not exactly the makings of a romantic evening.  

I have been to both San Domenico and Cafe des Artistes.  In the case of SD, it was several years ago.  I wasn't bowled over by the food which, though certainly far from awful, did not measure up to all the great reviews at the time.  However, the current chef was not the chef when we were there, so the menu may be different now.  The ambiance was pleasant, and the service was fine.    

As for Cafe des Artistes, my experience there was more recent, and I have to say that, for me, it did not live up to its supposedly fabulous reputation. Yes, there are those famous murals which are pretty.  But the restaurant is larger than I had expected (there are several rooms), tables are quite close, and it all felt very crowded to me.  Most of the waiters were of the "old guard" variety -- no young, would-be actors here.  They were not what I would consider super attentive, though they did get the job done.  I think I should add that we were dining pre-Lincoln Center performance, so maybe that makes a difference.  But most disappointing to me was the food.  I did not find the menu particularly enticing.  (I had not seen it beforehand.)  I started with the combination salmon platter which they are supposed to be known for.  It was fine, but nothing really special.  My main course of osso buco was merely o.k., again, nothing to rave about.  I don't remember what I had for dessert, so that indicates how outstanding that was -- not.  The highlight of the evening -- other than a fabulous performance of "Aida" -- was talking briefly with Don Hewitt, the producer of "60 Minutes," who was coming into the restaurant as we were leaving.  Nice guy!

I'm sorry I can't be positive about these possible choices.  Wherever you do finally decide to celebrate, I hope you have a very Happy Anniversary!  :smile:

Thanks to all for your help.

We took your advice and made a reservation at ......Montrachet which has been a long time favorite (where I had my first encounter with seared foie gras.)

After the recent New York Magazine positive review, it seemed like a good bet. I'll post with our experiences after 6/25.

Weinhen

Welcome, congrats, and I'm sure you'll have a lovely meal at Montrachet. Dined there about two months ago (and posted on it on this board) and was more than pleased with the food and service. Agreed with the NY Mag. review to a T.