• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Morton's 2 for $99 deal

Ling

Looks tasty! I think I'll give it a try today.

Let me know how everything was (service included)

Had lunch there Friday, and it was great! It came with an excellent Caesar Salad. The Prime Rib itself was very flavorful and tender and was served with gravy, horseradish and dijon. Beer was $7, Prime Rib Sandwich was $15, so after tax and tip it was close to $30. A little pricey for lunch I think, but I'll be going back.

Edit: Service was also top notch.

How was the portion sizing? TIA.

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

Beer was $7

You've got to be kidding me. What beer was it if you don't mind me asking?

Would have been a 16 oz pour of Microbrew.

Keep in mind that hotels are always more expensive. You may be paying $7 for a beer, but you are likely sitting in a $1,500 chair served by someone with a lot more than 3 months serving experience.

Ian McTavish

General Manager / Capones Restaurant & Live Jazz Club

I have to wonder why Mortons has to offer a coupon and is on cash basis with suppliers. Why not go to GOTHAM STEAKHOUSE for the best steak, sides, and an amazing ambience. Service is solid, and you can get out of thier for just over 100 if you are smart, or more if you want to go full meal deal.

^I actually had a bad experience at Gotham's a few years ago (we were seated at the bar b/c the restaurant was "fully booked", but the few times I walked by the dining room during the 2 hrs we were there, the dining room remained half empty; steaks were WAY over-done...arrived medium-well when we both asked for rare; server disappeared as soon as we got our food for the rest of the evening...)

The appetizers, sides, and desserts I had at both restaurants were comparable in terms of quality and flavour. They are fine, but I really just want the ribeye at Morton's.

Many of my friends have also eaten at Gotham's and Morton's and all of them prefer the steaks at Morton's.

^^ I got the porterhouse at Gothams. It was really really good. The Filet Mignon side was so soft when I put it in my mouth it melted like butter. I ate the WHOLE thing with a little help from Sandy and then proceeded to go into a Homer-esque meat coma (minus the drool).

I need to have the Morton's [delete]Ribeye[/delete] [insert] oops i meant porterhouse! [/insert] to really do a comparison but I havn't been able to get myself psyched up for another meat coma :cool:

The Morton's bread is really good though and ridiculoulsy huge!

Edited by fud (log)

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I have to wonder why Mortons has to offer a coupon and is on cash basis with suppliers.  Why not go to GOTHAM STEAKHOUSE for the best steak, sides, and an amazing ambience.  Service is solid, and you can get out of thier for just over 100 if you are smart, or more if you want to go full meal deal.

WOW, sounds like you are a real mortons fan, hawking coupons. I will be upfront to say I work at Gotham, so I am also a little biased. If you were served in the bar then your servers are always there. If you asked for a rare steak and it was overcooked then you only have to alert any staff, and a new steak is on the way. Gotham is a very busy restaurant, and many say they prefer Gotham, but thats because they are there. I'm sure Mortons has lots of fans who think think the opposite. Come to Gotham and have a rib eye and enjoy it, and if something is not perfect, do the smart thing and ask for a litle help. Dont be helples, and then go away and complain. I always say it is better that something goes wrong, and it is rectified in an impressive manner, than to go to a restaurant, and nothing happens of any signifigance.

I will be upfront to say I work at Gotham, so I am also a little biased.

Thanks for identifying yourself jahvay ... and welcome to eGullet!

I always say it is better that something goes wrong, and it is rectified in an impressive manner, than to go to a restaurant, and nothing happens of any signifigance.

There's a customer satidfaction survey out there somewhere that shows that customers who had something go wrong with their experience, but had that something corrected quickly and to their satisfaction actually show greater overall satisfaction than customers who's experience was flawless.

Good point. Talk to your server ... they won't bite.

A.

WOW, sounds like you are a real mortons fan, hawking coupons.

Poor choice of words, IMO. Ling isn't selling anything or pushing these coupons on anyone.

From the Oxford English Dictionary:

hawk /h<revc>:k/ v.2L15. [back-form. f. HAWKER n.2]1 v.t. Carry about from place to place and offer for sale. L15. 2 v.i. Travel around touting or selling one's wares. M16.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

WOW, sounds like you are a real mortons fan, hawking coupons.

Poor choice of words, IMO. Ling isn't selling anything or pushing these coupons on anyone.

From the Oxford English Dictionary:

hawk /h<revc>:k/ v.2L15. [back-form. f. HAWKER n.2]1 v.t. Carry about from place to place and offer for sale. L15. 2 v.i. Travel around touting or selling one's wares. M16.

I agree, sanrensho. I think Ling was just trying to share something with friends, coupon-wise. A deal on steak is a good thing.

Now that we know where you work, jahvay, your "cash-only" comment is understandable...thanks for the clarification. :smile:

I usually just go to Hy's Encore...I like the atmosphere :raz:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

WOW, sounds like you are a real mortons fan, hawking coupons.  I will be upfront to say I work at Gotham, so I am also a little biased.  If you were served in the bar then your servers are always there.  If you asked for a rare steak and it was overcooked then you only have to alert any staff, and a new steak is on the way. Gotham is a very busy restaurant, and many say they prefer Gotham, but thats because they are there.  I'm sure Mortons has lots of fans who think think the opposite.  Come to Gotham and have a rib eye and enjoy it, and if something is not perfect, do the smart thing and ask for a litle help.  Dont be helples, and then go away and complain.  I always say it is better that something goes wrong, and it is rectified in an impressive manner, than to go to a restaurant, and nothing happens of any signifigance.

I was only trying to be friendly by sharing the coupon. I'm not intending to go there myself this time, as I really prefer the ribeye and I doubt Morton's will be giving out a coupon for that.

Like I said, it was a few years ago that I was in at Gotham's. It was actually an anniversary dinner. I would've alerted the server to have my steak sent back, but there were no servers to be seen in the bar for the duration of our meal. And as you were probably not there that evening, I'm not asking you to believe me, but I don't expect you to make some claim that "the servers are always there" either. I only brought up what I found was lacking from my dinner there because you were questioning why I don't go to Gotham's instead. So really, I'm not just "complaining" because I like to hear myself whine online.

Thanks for the disclosure, but it was pretty apparent by the tone of your first post where you worked anyway.

I have to wonder why Mortons ... is on cash basis with suppliers.

Y'know, I've seen this comment pop up a little more often lately, and I find it kind of harsh. Many restaurants have financial ups and downs, it's not always the most lucrative business, but I think that any restaurant's business (behind the scenes) dealings shouldn't be fair game for public fodder. Generally, this type of "information" is heard 2nd/3rd/4th-hand, and like I said- irrelevant. Over the years I've heard the whole "cash-only with suppliers" tale about hundreds of restaurants, and 99% of those places are still here, if not amongst the most critically-acclaimed, successful places in town. Were any of them ever on a cash-only basis? Who knows...and who cares?

k.

Y'know, I've seen this comment pop up a little more often lately, and I find it kind of harsh.  Many restaurants have financial ups and downs, it's not always the most lucrative business, but I think that any restaurant's business (behind the scenes) dealings shouldn't be fair game for public fodder.  Generally, this type of "information" is heard 2nd/3rd/4th-hand, and like I said- irrelevant.

[host]

Thanks kurtis for making that point for me. :biggrin:

This discussion is moving into heresay and cannot continue in that direction. Also, let's keep the discussion focussed on the deal at Morton's. Nobody was flogging, just sharing information.

Discussion of Vancouver/Western Canada steak houses can continue HERE.

Thanks,

A.

[/host]

• 3 months later...