• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I eat good

Florida Jim

1998 Salomon, Grüner Veltliner Reserve:

A spring garden of aromatics, a medium weight, ripe and juicy mouthful of fruit and a lovely, clean finish. Very well made and varietally correct with precise balance throughout. This producer is quite dependable.

1999 Pesquera, Ribero del Duero:

To me, Ribero wines often smell and taste older than they are and this one fits that mold; bright aromatics, reminiscent of the southern Rhone, that have nuance and some bottle bouquet (and a little too much oak) with a similar flavor profile and good sustain, albeit a bit drying at the very end. A lighter hand with the wood would make me happier.

2001 Copain, Syrah Cailloux & Coccinelle:

Smells like Clape, Cornas in a very warm year; has those kinds of nuances in the mouth but also delivers lush, deep fruit with good balance and persistence. Will last but is delicious now. Once again this producer impresses.

Dinner with Mark:

With a salad of English cucumber, white anchovy and roasted tomatoes:

1995 Zind-Humbrecht, Riesling Clos Windsbuhl:

An odd wine with a gewertz. nose and seemingly VT sweetness but the mouth shows bone dry; absolutely the right choice with the dish and absolutely weird in its absence.

With pasta with sautéed chanterelles:

1999 Dom. Michel Lafarge, Volnay Vendages Sélectionnées:

Purity, focus and unequaled clarity; not big, not powerful, not blow the doors down; just an exceptional rendition of Volnay that can’t be replicated – killer wine and beyond description with the dish.

With sautéed halibut on a vegetable compote with beurre blanc:

1998 La Spinetta, Barbaresco Vigneto Gallina:

There was a moment when I swallowed a mouthful that was all that Barbaresco can be – wonderful depth, nuance and harmony against that rustic background of earth and tannin – but it only happened once and the rest of the time this showed wood to the exclusion of fruit. Maybe in ten or twenty years folks will be falling all over themselves when tasting this wine but, today, I’d rather have a Giacosa, Nebbiolo D’Alba Valmaggiore a hundred times over.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Ugh, I'm envious.  That's way too much good wine for just two guys.  :angry:   Was this dinner out, or was Diane cooking?

The first three were with dinner at a couple's house whom we had just met. I did not make food notes due to social constraints. We were four.

The second three were at Mark's house with him cooking for Diane and me. The boy (CIA trained, owns his own high-end restaurant) can cook!

Best, Jim

Edited by Florida Jim (log)

www.CowanCellars.com

Wow. So I guess he was okay with guests whipping out a notepad, eh? :wink:

Are the wines you enjoyed on his restaurant menu, or was this a co-planning choice? Does his restaurant have a website? After this write up, inquiring minds want to know!

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Ugh, I'm envious.  That's way too much good wine for just two guys.  :angry:   Was this dinner out, or was Diane cooking?

The first three were with dinner at a couple's house whom we had just met. I did not make food notes due to social constraints. We were four.

The second three were at Mark's house with him cooking for Diane and me. The boy (CIA trained, owns his own high-end restaurant) can cook!

Best, Jim

His restaurant is the Louisiana Purchase in Banner Elk, NC, 828-898-5656. I brought the Volnay last night but the wine list at the 'Purchase' is second to none in western NC. As a matter of fact, the first time I went into the place, I probably spent half and hour just reading the list.

Mark is very wine savvy and travels extensively to find the new and different. He's also been at this long enough that he gets first choice with the local distributors. If you ever get to the NC high country/ski area, you have to eat and drink at Mark's.

Best, Jim

Edited by Florida Jim (log)

www.CowanCellars.com