• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Okonomiyaki

fud

Okonomyaki or Japanese Pancake originated in Hiroshima and each city in Japan has a slightly different take on the ingredients, but in general it's super tastey.

Generally ingredients include:

- Flour

- Water

- Eggs

- Cabbage

- Octopus/shrimp/meat/poultry

- mushrooms

- green onion

- bonito

The BEST I've ever had is at Don Quixote. Unfortunately it's located in Osaka, Japan.

Okonomyaki in Vancouver? Where can you find some?

Here are the one's I know of:

- Modern Club - Good classical Okonomyaki (they even have the noodle versions)

- The Clubhouse - an odd place for it but it's not bad

- Hanabi - Located inside the aberdeen mall in Richmond. Surprisingly good Tako-Yaki AND okonomyaki. This is a bit of a hidden gem AND there's free Wifi in the food court!

Any others?

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Okonomyaki or Japanese Pancake originated in Hiroshima and each city in Japan has a slightly different take on the ingredients, but in general it's super tastey. 

- Flour

- Water

- Eggs

- Cabbage

- mushrooms

- green onion

- bonito

The BEST I've ever had is at Don Quixote.  Unfortunately it's located in Osaka, Japan.

Okonomyaki in Vancouver?  Where can you find some? 

- Hanabi - Located inside the aberdeen mall in Richmond.  Surprisingly good Tako-Yaki AND okonomyaki.  This is a bit of a hidden gem AND there's free Wifi in the food court!

Any others?

Guu has okonomyaki on its menu.

Can't accurately attest to it's authenticity, but the okonomiyaki at Kitanoya Guu in Gastown is pretty damn tasty. The last time I was there for dinner with *Deborah* and snacky_cat, we demolished it in about 45 seconds flat.

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Can't accurately attest to it's authenticity, but the okonomiyaki at Kitanoya Guu in Gastown is pretty damn tasty.  The last time I was there for dinner with *Deborah* and snacky_cat, we demolished it in about 45 seconds flat.

Really? I eat at the gastown Guu fairly often and I didn't even notice this! Will have to try it! I assume it's a small little pancake unlike the one at Don's which is humongous!

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Can't accurately attest to it's authenticity, but the okonomiyaki at Kitanoya Guu in Gastown is pretty damn tasty.  The last time I was there for dinner with *Deborah* and snacky_cat, we demolished it in about 45 seconds flat.

Yeah, I brought mamacat and two out-of-town foodie visitors there the other week and we each chose two dishes - one of mine was okonomi-yaki. It was INHALED. Seriously, we had cabbage and bonito residue aorund our noses like a bunch of cheap $5 pancake whores. :biggrin:

Ohhh so good.

Edited by snacky_cat (log)

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

Strangely, the Eatery. Mochi okonomiyaki & gyoza okonomiyaki are some of the choices. More normal ones include prawn, beef & chicken. Their recipe has changed though. I think there are still noodles on the bottom, but not as much as before, & now it doesn't look as homestyle as it used to. They always recommend the mochi one, but I actually don't really like it - too floury for me.

They also have really weird sushi on the menu, but much of it's pretty good (I've never been brave enough to try the cream cheese sushi though... :blink: ). Their okonomiyaki is Osaka style, by the way. I think Guu's is Tokyo style.

If you've never been to the Eatery, I warn you, it's umm, not the cleanest place. Luckily most of the light is provided by candles. :blink:

Strangely, the Eatery.  Mochi okonomiyaki & gyoza okonomiyaki are some of the choices.  More normal ones include prawn, beef & chicken.  Their recipe has changed though.  I think there are still noodles on the bottom, but not as much as before, & now it doesn't look as homestyle as it used to.  They always recommend the mochi one, but I actually don't really like it - too floury for me.

They also have really weird sushi on the menu, but much of it's pretty good (I've never been brave enough to try the cream cheese sushi though...  :blink: ).  Their okonomiyaki is Osaka style, by the way.  I think Guu's is Tokyo style.

If you've never been to the Eatery, I warn you, it's umm, not the cleanest place.  Luckily most of the light is provided by candles.  :blink:

Wow I didn't know they had Okonomiyaki there. I used to eat there BEFORE they made sushi. It was all burgers and such. In fact their avocado burger was really really good. Then I was really surprised to see sushi on the menu and now the burgers are all but gone :wacko:

I will have to try the okonomyaki anyways!

- Flour

- Water

- Eggs

- Cabbage

- mushrooms

- green onion

- bonito

The BEST I've ever had is at Don Quixote.  Unfortunately it's located in Osaka, Japan.

- Hanabi - Located inside the aberdeen mall in Richmond.  Surprisingly good Tako-Yaki AND okonomyaki.  This is a bit of a hidden gem AND there's free Wifi in the food court!

Any others?

I find this very interesting because I have not heard of Okonomiyaki until this post (or was aware of it being on menus). It sounds very similar to a dish I encountered while dining at Ap Gu Jung on Robson (a place that calls itself "Korean Fusion") they called "Seafood Pizza". It turned out to be a sort of.. crepe-like crust sizzling on a hot plate with toppings. It was more a pancake than a pizza (not finger-food, either). Is this okonomiyaki?

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

I find this very interesting because I have not heard of Okonomiyaki until this post (or was aware of it being on menus). It sounds very similar to a dish I encountered while dining at Ap Gu Jung on Robson (a place that calls itself "Korean Fusion") they called "Seafood Pizza". It turned out to be a sort of.. crepe-like crust sizzling on a hot plate with toppings. It was more a pancake than a pizza (not finger-food, either). Is this okonomiyaki?

I'd say no, but YUM!

All the okonomi-yaki I've encountered is the "integrated pancake format". God knows there is probably a proper culinary term for this, but I'm a scientist so "integrated pancake" will have to do.

All of the ingredients are combined into a mush (again, I'm thinking there's probably a better word for this...) and formed into a pancake, which is then cooked and sliced into triangles for serving, usually topped by bonito (which, when it wobbles and waves in the heat, freaks out any diners who haven't seen it before. always good for a few laughs, that one.). It's not a pancake-with-toppings, it's a bricky of yummy stuff all mushed together. Less of a pizza, more of a latke.

What a pedestrian explanation. Good grief. I need some sort of kitchen thesaurus.

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

All the okonomi-yaki I've encountered is the "integrated pancake format". God knows there is probably a proper culinary term for this, but I'm a scientist so "integrated pancake" will have to do.

Yeah that is correct but the Korean seafood pancake is kind of an integrated pancake too! But totally different flavour :)

For more on okonomiyaki, we can always turn to our trusty friends at eGullet.

[host]

Thanks for the link chocomoo. It gives me a good opportunity to remind everyone that this forum is for discussing where to find okonomiyaki in Vancouver & Western Canada. Discussion of okonomiyaki in general should take place in the thread noted above.

Thanks!

[/host]

I'd say no, but YUM!

All of the ingredients are combined into a mush (again, I'm thinking there's probably a better word for this...) and formed into a pancake, which is then cooked and sliced into triangles for serving, usually topped by bonito (which, when it wobbles and waves in the heat, freaks out any diners who haven't seen it before. always good for a few laughs, that one.). It's not a pancake-with-toppings, it's a bricky of yummy stuff all mushed together. Less of a pizza, more of a latke.

What a pedestrian explanation. Good grief. I need some sort of kitchen thesaurus.

...think frittata but with pancake binding rather than eggs?

I really like the one at Guu.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

You can get okonomiyaki in the fast food court in the Aberdeen Centre in Richmond. They sell it at the stand that specializes in takoyaki. Can't remember what the stand it called, but they do Japanese treats and noodle dishes. I love their curry udon.

Paul B

Can't accurately attest to it's authenticity, but the okonomiyaki at Kitanoya Guu in Gastown is pretty damn tasty. The last time I was there for dinner with *Deborah* and snacky_cat, we demolished it in about 45 seconds flat.

we were at guu with garlic last night and had the okinomiyaki (amongst a host of other dishes) and it was guuuuud!!

Quentina

You can get okonomiyaki in the fast food court in the Aberdeen Centre in Richmond.  They sell it at the stand that specializes in takoyaki.  Can't remember what the stand it called, but they do Japanese treats and noodle dishes.  I love their curry udon.

Hanabi! And the Okonomyaki isn't bad there either!