• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

north arlington, new jersey and vicinity

jpr54_

The only restaurant I have been to on this list is Belmont Tavern.

Uva Steakhouse, 602 Ridge Rd, North Arlington

Villa Arturo 440 Ridge Road North Arlington

Belmont Tavern 12 Bloomfield Ave. Belleville

Solar do Minho 15 Cleveland St Belleville

Toscani Ristorante italiano 14 Belmont Ave. Belleville

You are close to Newark which has wonderful Spanish/Portuguese restaurants.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I would recommend:

Fortunato Ristorante, 775 Riverside Ave, Lyndhurst - Went the other night with a group of 9 and everyone loved their dinner.

Cafe Matisse, Rutherford- Haven't been there recently, but have always enjoyed my dinners there.

Papillon, Nutley

There are lots of good restaurants in Montclair including Fascino, Orbis, Dai Kichi (sushi).

Susan

Welcome to the area, Joanne! I'm just a couple of miles away, in Lyndhurst. Have to say that in general, I find this part of the world to be a culinary wasteland.

I am anxious to try Fortunato's, but what you'll find most around here is mediocre red-sauce Italian food. Some are better than others, but in the end, there's no great Thai, Indian, Chinese, Spanish or almost anything else really close by. I tend to head to Hoboken and/or Montclair for what I wish were local spots. One I'd add to the list above that is an exception is The Petite Cafe in Nutley. I haven't even had dinner there yet, but love it for lunch, esp on a weekend. They're actually cooking and thinking about their menus--that's obvious even at lunch. I don't think that Uva has opened yet, has it? They've been working on the place, but it wasn't open last week when I was over that way. There are some churrascarias in Kearny (next town after NA) as well as some fish 'n chip joints, but again, I haven't heard about anything spectacular.

The good news is that there really are good spots (and the Ironbound) within close reach. Indian Chef in Lodi, Petite Cafe, Binh Duong, and even China 46 is only about 15-17 minutes away. But I'll be thrilled if you find some REALLY good spots IN town. Please keep us posted if you do!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I live in North Arlington and agree that there are a lot of mediocre Italian restaurants in the area but Angelo's on Ridge Road in Lyndhurst stands out. Normally crowded, cash only, but the food and service are very good.

East Rutherford is nearby and has a lot of good BYOB restaurants. Montclair is not far away and also has some very good restaurants.

• 3 weeks later...

This was a difficult place to find-

Binh Duong

what would you suggest to eat at the restaurant?

I stopped t the market and was impressed with the number of vietnamese items for sale/

Has anyone eaten at the Phillippino Restauraunt?

Edited by jpr54_ (log)

Oh but it's so worth finding. I got takeout from them just last night.

The Hue-style beef noodle soup is my usual, but the Pho is amazing, as is the salt and pepper squid. There's a whole string on this place alone somewhere around here...

Can't really vouch for anything else in that plaza, but the grocery is pretty much the only place in close driving distance where you can find a pint of green tea ice cream.

There's a whole string on this place alone somewhere around here...

Yup! It's right here! :wink: And honestly, not very hard to get to, esp from North Arlington. Go across the bridge, up Rutgers Street to Washington, left on Washington, and I think (?) it's a right at the first or second light--then another 1-2 miles until you hit the shopping center. Mapquest will get you there...

I agree wholeheartedly about the pho, and when you get it as takeout, I love that they keep the meat out of the soup so you can 'cook' it when you get it home!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I lived in Northern Bergen County for the past 30+ years

and Southern Bergen County/Essex County area is all new to me. Thanx for the link-

I am planning to go this weekend-

On the door yesterday was note stating that restaurant will be closed on Tuesdays.

I lived in Northern Bergen County for the past 30+ years

and Southern Bergen County/Essex County area is all new to me. Thanx for the link-

I am planning to go this weekend-

On the door yesterday was note stating that restaurant will be closed on Tuesdays.

we ordered for take out the pho, spring rolls, and shrmp with lemongrass this afternoon-

the meal was delicious-spicy and tasty

joanne