• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Guests' involvement: your entertainment style?

Gifted Gourmet

For me, it depends on the guests and the occasion!

When I used to do sit-down dinner parties for 4 to 6 people -- which I don't any more because of lifestyle and kitchen/dining arrangement changes -- I preferred to do all the cooking and clean-up and let my guests relax and enjoy themselves.

Nowadays, I have a young child and an open kitchen with a counter that seats 4 for dining. Most of our entertaining is either having her friends over, or hosting casual buffets and potluck parties for 12+ guests.

I don't mind helpers cooking if they know their way around the kitchen or I can set them to a particular task, and it's certainly nice to have people pitch in and clean up (or at least collect the plates and glasses that have migrated to all over the living room). We also entertain at our condo complex's pool/BBQ area, so extra hands to transport the picnic fare and man the grill are also welcome.

I've also -- by necessity -- stopped being such a control freak. I still get annoyed when silverware gets thrown out with the garbage (grrrr!!!!), but I've realized that some people really enjoy helping out, and it's okay to let a guest bring a supermarket pie rather than knock myself out making fancy patisserie from scratch. Life is too short to not enjoy the good company.

[Edited for grammar]

Edited by SuzySushi (log)

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

I have to add that I hate other people loading my dishwasher!! what a weird thing to get cranky about, but there it is. Creature of habit.

This is SO common. I have a friend whose mother will not let us load the dishwasher when we visit, even if she isn't there eating with us. Weird!

That's because nobody else loads the dishwasher right.

Every day I rearrange mine because my daughter loads it wrong. :rolleyes:

I couldn't put my finger on it, but that is what really makes me crazy -- other people loading the dishwasher! Including, maybe especially, my husband! Glad to know that I'm not the only one!