• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's new on the food scene in Buenos Aires

Any new developments there?

Heard of barbequed pizzas and some places have fully evolved to be dedicated to this style of cooking but so far no photos or how is it done? I wonder

Anything else since food chains are being taken over by Chinese something must be changing in the city?

I have to admit, I haven't encountered a bbq pizza here yet. I'll have to keep my eyes open. The most common thing I'm seeing is more and more "trendy" places that are sort of lounge-style food service, much as has been going on in major cities in other parts of the globe. Things like sitting on sofas with low tables, and food that's significantly more creative than in the past, and lots of decor and waiter uniforms in black. There's also starting to be more of a demand for imported wine, something that in the past wasn't seen much. It will be interesting to see if the government responds by lowering the import taxes on foreign wine so that it's affordable here.

Dan

SaltShaker - Casting a little flavor (and a few aspersions) on the world of food, drink, and life

Casa SaltShaker - Restaurant de Puertas Cerradas

Spanish-English-Spanish Food & Wine Dictionary - a must for any traveler!

Thanks for the info

I thougt this one Luna Caprese would offer pizzas made this way

I remember long ago there were such salon de cafe though not the formal upmarket ones but casual meeting places caller bars with sofas and low cofee tables etc. There are few of this type of bars here but bars and cofee shops springng up everywhere now is a new phenomena in the last ten years.

Maybe one day when I'm with a friend with a car we'll check out Luna Caprese - it's a long way north!

SaltShaker - Casting a little flavor (and a few aspersions) on the world of food, drink, and life

Barbeque pizza can be found in various places... one of the best known restaurants that carry this today is Morelia.

Visit Argentina and try wines from the RIGHT side of the Andes !!!

www.terroir.com.ar

Still haven't tried one in BsAs, but read a little about them - it's essentially what in New York we called a "grilled pizza". Very thin pizza dough brushed with a little olive oil and grilled on one side, then flipped over to grill the other side while the toppings are put on the already cooked side. In NYC you see them at places like Gonzo and Otto.

Are you sure? Grilling is one thing bbq is another

Piazzola, that’s a point of age-old bitter contention among American regional barbecue enthusiasts.

But on a different topic, I am not sure if this is a new thing in Buenos Aires, but I was there this April and ordered their Argentinian Jamon Serrano that tasted as good as, if not better, than the real thing from Spain. Lots of Latin American food shows going on day and night in the food channel. I am going back this coming spring also to visit Cordoba and stay long in Mendoza. I’ll probably take a peek at Santiago, Chile too.

Gato ming gato miao busca la vida para comer

Good to know Apicio that you'll be touring the countryside too

See if you get back with some news

I know that jamon serrano is good for a fact I used to do it with some Ukrainian paisanos in Mendoza so if you go there jamon is something to look for as well as wine of course.

The description was in Spanish from a site about what Morelia was doing as a specialty, and it was pretty close to that as a translation. There may be some differences from the New York version, but it definitely wasn't anything that involved, say, barbecue sauce.