• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Siren Song

Zucchini Mama

First on the list is from Vera's :

The G-Money (2x patty, 2x cheese, 2x fried mushrooms) plus my add on's: Hot dog, bacon, and an egg . Accompanied by large fries and a Sprite.

Good thing I only get this craving about 1x per month or Roto Rooter would have to be on call for my arteries. :laugh:

Second on my list though ( and much healthier ) is the Hainanese Chicken w/ rice at Cafe D'Lite .

Last is the Tropical Carrot Cake at Picnic .

Damn, now I'm hungry ......

Lam Yue is fermented tofu - it has a sharp salty - almost blue cheese - tang to it.  It is most often used to cook lamb hot pots and stir fried water spinach (tong choy). 

Oh yeah! I thought it was fermented something... I do like lam yue though - in those "little chicken biscuits" (gai zai bang), lam yue roast chicken, lam yue roasted peanuts, & also lamb hot pots & tong choy (for a minute I was thinking "tong ho", as in chrysanthemum leaves, which I DESPISE. It's one of the few vegetables I won't eat).

nam yue is the red fermented tofu stuff...and foo yue is the yellowish/white one. Does anyone know what the difference is? I love both...especially nam yue in the Buddhist feast dish!

nam yue is the red fermented tofu stuff...and foo yue is the yellowish/white one. Does anyone know what the difference is? I love both...especially nam yue in the Buddhist feast dish!

Is nam yue the stuff that kind of tastes like ham in vegetarian dim sum dishes? If so, I love it too.

I also vote for the Hainan chicken at Cafe Delight as a personal siren song, but I also get this fix at Le Petite Café, along with their coconut chicken curry.

To misquote an eGulleter "If only coconut milk made you thin, like heroine!"

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Lam Yue is fermented tofu - it has a sharp salty - almost blue cheese - tang to it.  It is most often used to cook lamb hot pots and stir fried water spinach (tong choy). 

Oh yeah! I thought it was fermented something... I do like lam yue though - in those "little chicken biscuits" (gai zai bang), lam yue roast chicken, lam yue roasted peanuts, & also lamb hot pots & tong choy (for a minute I was thinking "tong ho", as in chrysanthemum leaves, which I DESPISE. It's one of the few vegetables I won't eat).

Someone should start a thread about why in all it's variations, "STINKY TOFU" is without any question "ADDICTIVE" this applies to every area of Asia, Japan, Korea, China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, etc.

Ever since I tried Hawker sold, "Street side Fried Stinky Bean Curd" in Hong Kong, I have not been able to resist it's calling as a condiment or whatever it's served with anywhere.

Somehow it often appears in a jar when I'm eating Congee and seems to take over the taste and flavor since I'm not able to resist it's call.

I've noticed how many sweet, cute schoolgirls in Japan all order Fermented Soy Beans with their Noodles as a side dish it may be more popular then Candy among the young. Then later in life after growing up can't resist ordering the same Stinky Beans while enjoying Sushi.

Is this the only purportedly healthy food that is addictive, in a good way ? Well it's always salty so maybe it's not all goody, goody. But it's added spiciness sure makes it tasty in the Chinese versions.

It's one of the only foods that smell so bad and taste good enough that gives you a jones to eat it again sort of like a "Siren Song" with a personality.

Irwin :raz::wub:

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

• 5 weeks later...
I must confess that I've started navigating by restaurants. There is always a siren. For starters:

Ikea gravy.

Ikea gravy??? Please explain - inquiring minds want to know.

Roast some onions, carrots and celery.

add to the pan roughly chopped, flat packed furniture and brown all over.

( use a cleever for this part or get an adult to help you ).

deglase with red wine and pour on the chicken stock, enough to cover .

bring gently to the boil and skim off any impurities ( lots in this gravy`s case ).

simmer for 4 hours. strain through a fine sieve.

reduce, season. and serve to you mother in law. as a warming scandinavian broth.

tt

Roast some onions, carrots and celery.

add to the pan roughly chopped, flat packed furniture and brown all over.

( use a cleever for this part or get an adult to help you ).

deglase with red wine and pour on the chicken stock, enough to cover .

bring gently to the boil and skim off any impurities ( lots in this gravy`s case ).

simmer for 4 hours. strain through a fine sieve.

reduce, season. and serve to you mother in law. as a warming scandinavian broth.

*** WARNING *** Do not allow ikea furniture to burn. And definately do not burn ikea funiture and roast marshmellows on it. Not unless you plan on achieving a drug induced sugar maintaining, buring glue finishing state of mind.

It does make pretty coloured flames though.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

::beef brisket rice noodle soup

::chopped scallop tobiko cone + wild salmon sashimi + gomaae

::siu loong bau! I like to poke a hole in the top with one chopstick, let some of the steam out, and get the vinegar in there.

::daytime munchies - mcdonald's fries + tartar sauce

::after night of dancing nosh - fritz + mango chutney + garlic lovers dip

will return after I mop up the pool of saliva around my desk...

When I lived in Whistler, it was the spicy tofu from Sushi Village. I swear there's opium in the sauce.

Here, I find myself craving a dish I've only had three times -- the duck breast at Chambar, though I've just heard that they've changed it to a nectarine gastrique. I loved the cherry.

Food Lover -- nothing more, nothing less

Here's another: the mac'n'cheese that was once at the alibi room.

I think it had seafood (lobster and shrimp?) and mushrooms and was super cheesy. Was devastated to find that dish left the menu as did the chef who made it. Know of a similar dish to be found? Please share!

-beef tendon and noodles, but not the gristly bits you get in pho. I only like the lovely, lusciously soft tendon at Chinese noodle shops. (I get it at No. 9 all the time. One of the few edible things on the menu.)

-beef brisket with coconut curry (I like Deer Garden and Mui Garden)

I think it had seafood (lobster and shrimp?) and mushrooms and was super cheesy. Was devastated to find that dish left the menu as did the chef who made it. Know of a similar dish to be found? Please share!

i also loved that mac'n'cheese as well. i could probably find out the recipe for you as the chef is a friend of mine! he's now at the galiano inn and spa. i'll be visiting him sometime this month!

i also loved his penne with that super garlicky gorgonzola sauce. mmmmmm :wub:

my other dish would probably be the sea bass and cilantro congee or the salted pork and century egg congee at congee noodle house.

and andrey's wild mushroom risotto with that amazing demi glace at parkside :wub:

Edited by makanmakan (log)

Quentina

The gruyere onion soup at Nu. OHMIGOD. Had it yesterday for lunch - still can't stop thinking about it. Is that sick? To be so infatuated with a soup? To quote Ling, it was "Mouthgasmic" (and it was nice to meet you, Len!)

Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography.

~ Robert Byrne

pict00044yk.jpg

these crab cakes with home made chips at a little bistro. SO GOOD.

Care to share what little bistro this is? :biggrin:

For me, I find the chocolate plate at CinCin mouthwatering :wub:

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

The gruyere onion soup at Nu.  OHMIGOD.  Had it yesterday for lunch - still can't stop thinking about it.  Is that sick?  To be so infatuated with a soup?  To quote Ling, it was "Mouthgasmic" (and it was nice to meet you, Len!)

Amen. That soup is evil. I've had dreams about that soup.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

i also loved that mac'n'cheese as well. i could probably find out the recipe for you as the chef is a friend of mine! he's now at the galiano inn and spa. i'll be visiting him sometime this month!

my other dish would probably be the sea bass and cilantro congee or the salted pork and century egg congee at congee noodle house.

and andrey's wild mushroom risotto with that amazing demi glace at parkside :wub:

Could you really? that would be soooo wonderful!!! yes, I inquired on his whereabouts as I was hoping he was somewhere else in Vancouver so I could still get some of that glorious MnC...wow, you're like, my tastebud double! I also love the seabass congee, and my word, Andre's mushroom risotto? Pure Luxury.

Could you really? that would be soooo wonderful!!! yes, I inquired on his whereabouts as I was hoping he was somewhere else in Vancouver so I could still get some of that glorious MnC...wow, you're like, my tastebud double! I also love the seabass congee, and my word, Andre's mushroom risotto? Pure Luxury.

i will ask for it and pm you with it as soon as i get it!

Quentina

• 2 weeks later...

if i remember correctly, laksa is a siren song for some of us here.

i'm always in search of the perfect laksa!

did anyone see the article in the sun on thursday, in the previously named queue section about kopitiam? described as a sunny spot serving malaysian food. apparently, the specialties are laksa and hainan chicken.

anyone try it yet??

Quentina