• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Casserole Rules

daniellewiley

So, I'm in the mood for a casserole tonight. I have a nine day old :biggrin:

and will also be dealing with my 3.5 year old while I make it. Soooo, I need something easy.

I had fully intended to make lots of freezer food, but the little guy came 3 weeks early, and July was too hot to make anything!

We had the bris at our house yesterday, so I have a TON of cream cheese left over. It's from Zingerman's, and is homemade cream cheese that is not stablilized with gums. It needs to be used by tomorrow at the latest, and gets increasingly tart every day. It's delicious, but it's not like Philadelphia cream cheese.

I also have a ton of white rice left over from Chinese food takeout last night. I was thinking of running to the produce store for some homegrown zucchini? Really I'm open to any veggie that is great in the midwest right now, so tomatoes, zucchini, crookneck squash, etc.

I'm just wondering how to combine and cook everything. I can't find a good casserole recipe that includes cream cheese and rice anywhere online. Any ideas?

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

This is probably a bit late for tonight's dinner, but have you ever done a savory cheesecake? I bet that the Zingerman's cream cheese would be great in something like that. Ingredients like sun-dried tomatoes, smoked or roasted peppers, herbs work well. Vegetables like zucchini would be too watery unless you cook them down first.

I think that savory cheesecakes are usually made with riccota rather than cream cheese - the latter would probably be too rich for a main course, but might make a nice appetizer or side.

The lack of gum stabilizer in the cream cheese means that it will melt more smoothly than the industrial stuff, so you could probably substitute it for part of the white sauce in an old-fashioned casserole. (Maybe thin it with a bit of milk or stock?)

Oh, and congatulations!

Danielle - mazel tov to you and the family!

I like the idea of the savory cheesecake- I've made them with cream cheese - can you use the rice to make a crust? I've done something with rice .. mixing it with some eggs and seasoning and it holds together when it's baked.

I really have no other ideas... any other cheese and I'd have lots. What about roasting a bunch of vegetables and then adding dollops of the cheese to it and letting it melt?

eh. Good luck!

Strong work on the baby front. :smile:

Throwing together casseroles with whatever's on hand is pretty easy. Assume one cup of cooked rice and half of an egg per person, add as much of the cream cheese as you'd like, and two cups of vegetables (either steamed or sauteed)---onions and yellow squash very nice together, and good with rice.

Put in the largest casserole you've got (assuming you've like the top crispy) and top with breadcrumbs. Heat till bubbling, run under broiler briefly to crisp the breadcrumbs if necessary.

Or...you could just order out and go to bed early.

Can you pee in the ocean?

Strong work on the baby front.  :smile:

Throwing together casseroles with whatever's on hand is pretty easy. Assume one cup of cooked rice and half of an egg per person, add as much of the cream cheese as you'd like, and two cups of vegetables (either steamed or sauteed)---onions and yellow squash very nice together, and good with rice.

Put in the largest casserole you've got (assuming you've like the top crispy) and top with breadcrumbs. Heat till bubbling, run under broiler briefly to crisp the breadcrumbs if necessary.

Or...you could just order out and go to bed early.

Thank you!! He's a mellow dude so far - we are enjoying him!!! :wub:

Thank you too for the casserole guidelines - I think that will work. I bought some yummy homegrown cousa squash from the market, so it should be perfect.

I'm sure we'll be ordering out lots, but while I'm feeling motivated, I'd like to cook a bit - I've had no cooking all summer due to this infernal heat, so even though it's a time of my life where takeout is acceptable, I'm really enjoying the kitchen time.

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

Danielle - mazel tov to you and the family!

I like the idea of the savory cheesecake- I've made them with cream cheese - can you use the rice to make a crust?  I've done something with rice .. mixing it with some eggs and seasoning and it holds together when it's baked.

I really have no other ideas...  any other cheese and I'd have lots.  What about roasting a bunch of vegetables and then adding dollops of the cheese to it and letting it melt?

eh.  Good luck!

Thanks Pam!!

These are great ideas. :smile:

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

You've probably already used the cream cheese, but here's something easy that I've made. Combine cut up chicken (can be from a rotisserie chicken), cooked broccoli, and cream cheese. Warm up. It can be varied with onions or spices, but the basic recipe is quick and tastes good. You could serve it with any kind of pasta or side dish if you wanted to.

You've probably already used the cream cheese, but here's something easy that I've made.  Combine cut up chicken (can be from a rotisserie chicken), cooked broccoli, and cream cheese.  Warm up.  It can be varied with onions or spices, but the basic recipe is quick and tastes good.  You could serve it with any kind of pasta or side dish if you wanted to.

I did prepare a casserole already (per Therese's guidelines), but haven't cooked it yet - we'll be eating it tomorrow.

And, I STILL have leftover cream cheese!!

If it's still good (doubtful), I can try your recipe for Friday - sounds like something my daughter would adore.

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Danielle,

How did the casserole turn out?

Btw, Im totally having flashbacks to that zingermans sandwich I had the day of the gathering. Yummy.

Im making a trip to AA next week sometime. I heard there was a Penzy's store that just opened on the way to AA.