• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vanilla epiphany: bland supporting role or vibrant

On the other hand, I invite alternative assessment.

I wouldn't dare argue with your assessment without having a fresh vanilla pod in front of me, and that is an unlikely scenario given my geographic location. They are simply not available here. Perhaps online. . .

But anyway. My question to you regarding all this would be: What percentage of people actually have the ability to discern these tastes? Is it an innate ability that exists in us all that can be developed or not, or is it simply something inborn? Does training the palate over a period of time in different ways have anything to do with how the flavor is perceived or not perceived? Does the fact of being from one culture or another with the differences in flavors and flavor perceptions due to exposure to the flavors have any effect on the final perceived results?

Just curious. :biggrin:

Oh. And which Gaius are you anyway? First, Second or Third? For obviously this is important to know in relationship to assessing your answers. :wink:

Edited by Carrot Top (log)