• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Modern Spirits Infused Vodkas

Toliver

Modern Spirits Vodka was mentioned in this month's Bon Appétit magazine, specifically citing the Candied-Ginger Vodka. They seem to be a Los Angeles-based vodka maker by looking at the online list of restaurants & stores selling and using their product.

The Celery-Peppercorn Infusion sounds intriguing while some of the other flavors leave me with a :blink: look on my face.

Has anyone tried this vodka? Is it worth pursuing?

Drink recipes for the different infusions can be found on their web site under "Etiquette" and then "Mix".

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

50 to 60 bucks a liter seems awfully steep for something I can do at home with a 19 dollar bottle of Luksusowa and two dollars worth of celery and peppercorns or 10 bucks worth of black summer truffles.

At least with other products that are, in essence, complicated infused vodkas (e.g., gin, aquavit, etc.) the process would be impossible to substantially duplicate at home.

--

Infused vodkas are one of my new pet peeves.

I've been making liqueurs for a while now, and lately, everytime I tell someone about my newest experiment they say, "Oh, you mean infused vodka!" Drives me nuts. I try to explain I'm making a liqueur based on a traditional Italian or French recipe. Then they ask, "If you're not making infused vodka, what's the difference between what you are doing and an infused vodka?"

I still haven't come up with a satisfactory answer for that second one. Filtration? Following a traditional recipe? Sweetening? It's enough to make me choose a different base spirit.

Maybe my question back should be, "Infused Vodka, what's that? Is it sweetened and thus some sort of liqueur? Is it re-distilled and so some sort of Eau de Vie? Do they use glycerine? What else is in it?"

Given the number of bars which are now making and serving infused vodkas, I guess Modern Spirits are hoping there is a market for a pre-made high quality consistent product.

I enjoy experimenting myself, so I wouldn't run out and buy them. Though, with experimentation, you do always run the risk of having to pour the whole batch down the drain. I also suppose some things might also work better with larger volumes.

-Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA