• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NC State Farmers Market-Raleigh

Now that I am stone's throw away from the farmer's market, I told my self I have no excuse not to go. So today I went, and I am in heaven with some lucious tomatoes and bail as I write. Anyway, I sort of found things overwhelming, I couldn't decide where I should buy what. I knew I wanted my purchases to be locally grown, etc. But I am curious as to if anyone has any favorite vendors there, or ones to avoid? I went later in the afternoon, so not all the folks were there. Did buy some fresh eggs, which appear to be right out of the chicken's butt (egghole? hahah), :laugh: can't wait to have those!

-----------------

AMUSE ME

I've found that most of the vendors at the State Farmers Market are fungible. Some of them might have a specialty item or two, but they're in the minority. There is a small vendor who offers organic items, and some of the cheesemakers are pretty good, but when it comes to the vegetables and fruits, they're pretty much the same.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I have found some "regular" vendors that I prefer over others. I agree that the cheese people (sheep and cow) are pretty good/reliable and I like the meat guy (used to be called Rosehill farms, but now under new name), as his product is good, fresh and reasonably priced.

But for "regular" vendors, my problem with recommending them is that I forget their names...I know them by face or location. I always get my standards (stuff that I can't really tell the difference with...I know, I should be ashamed) from Wise Farms, cause Ms. Wise has been treating me great for years. I think she has the cleanest freshest peas and she will always tell me the truth about how good her various melons are. She will pick corn for me by kernal size (if I am eating on the cob or creaming). I know if she says she just picked it, they just picked it. Plus, hey, she takes checks. THere are probably others like her, I have just come to know and rely on Wise to treat me well and fair.

I prefer the people all the way down on the end, on the left facing out, that sell the German Johnson tomatoes. I prefer German Johnsons and they are the best I have found out there.

I also have my favorite peach guy. I like my peaches to taste like peaches...you know, tart and sweet at the same time...not just like sugar water which seems popular these days in peaches and corn. Anyway, there is a guy who has the last stand next to the bathrooms who always has, I think, the best peaches.

I know this is not much help, but I am feeling longwinded tonight and ya'll are the lucky recipients of my avoiding housework!

Thanks guys! You know you pointed out an important thing, building up a relationship with the vendor, so you can get not only good service, but good food!

More reason for me to be a regular.

Also, I think we need to have a Triangle eGullet field trip there!

-----------------

AMUSE ME

Thanks guys! You know you pointed out an important thing, building up a relationship with the vendor, so you can get not only good service, but good food!

A field trip to FM....really? My only comment is that I hope this wouldn't be on a Saturday. Hub and I went there one sweltering Saturday a few weeks ago....after the parking mess and shuffling along cheek-by-jowl with all the other human furnaces, I said NEVAH AGAIN for me (on Saturday). I've been there from time to time during the week and had no problem. I regularly buy from one of the two vendors at City Market. They're there on Thurs-Sat. from 7 AM to 6-7PM. My guy always stops by the Farmer's Mkt first to pick up items to supplement what he grows himself.

CBHall

A field trip to FM....really? My only comment is that I hope this wouldn't be on a Saturday. Hub and I went there one sweltering Saturday a few weeks ago....after the parking mess and shuffling along cheek-by-jowl with all the other human furnaces, I said NEVAH AGAIN for me (on Saturday). I've been there from time to time during the week and had no problem. I regularly buy from one of the two vendors at City Market. They're there on Thurs-Sat. from 7 AM to 6-7PM. My guy always stops by the Farmer's Mkt first to pick up items to supplement what he grows himself.

Frankly, there's not enough interesting or unusual stuff at the State Farmers Market to justify a field trip. Going to one of the vendor's farms would be interesting, however.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Frankly, there's not enough interesting or unusual stuff at the State Farmers Market to justify a field trip. Going to one of the vendor's farms would be interesting, however.

That would rock! Perhaps post Pig Pickin'?

-----------------

AMUSE ME

My wife and myself start at one end and peruse the offerings. Then on the way back we pick what appears to be the best. For the standard stuff (ie tomatoes, peaches) there's not much difference, but for other things like figs, asparagus, etc. I have found a difference in quality.

As for the crowds, we try to get there by 8:30am on Saturday.

Unfortunately the smaller "boutique" stands come and go pretty fast.

My wife and myself start at one end and peruse the offerings. Then on the way back we pick what appears to be the best. For the standard stuff (ie tomatoes, peaches) there's not much difference, but for other things like figs, asparagus, etc. I have found a difference in quality.

Welcome to the eG Forums, exnyer!

That's the exact strategy I use -- it drives my kids crazy, because no matter what, "Dad has to walk through the entire market" at least once.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

That's the exact strategy I use -- it drives my kids crazy, because no matter what, "Dad has to walk through the entire market" at least once.

and I guess that is what I was trying to avoid, but you know, screw it, that is the beauty of the market!

-----------------

AMUSE ME

The Raleigh FM does not have the organics, unusual items or verified locally grown of the Carrboro market. As someone else said, the important thing is to have a relationship with a vendor. As you may already know, the open area near where you come in is where most of the locally grown is. The stuff in the covered vendor area is often not local (although there is a good Cary soapmaker there).

I have trouble remembering names, too, but there's one older guy who sells only flowers, blueberries and peaches, and there is a young girl in a Muslim veil who works the booth - they have great blueberries. Lee's Produce is usually pretty good, and they have unusual peppers and eggplant this time of year (two teenage girls often work that booth, and they are always picking at each other and are as funny as they can be). The place that has a sign that looks like a mule and cart (forget the name, again) often has good things. I have gotten two good cantelopes this year from a woman from Meadow (that's all the booth sells). I taste a lot of peaches before I buy, and I don't buy from anyone who chills their peaches - it makes them mealy. If they won't tell you, feel 'em - even in this heat, they will still feel cool - or look for a refrigerated truck lurking nearby. Some vendors have signs saying they don't chill.

Saturday is a total zoo, and the vendors will not have time to talk to you or offer deals. I usually go on Fridays - it's less crowded, but most of the vendors are there (some only come on Fri-Sat-Sun). Don't go on a Monday - some vendors aren't there or have sold most of their good stuff over the weekend.

Can you tell I spend way too much time there?? Heading out tomorrow to buy peaches to make jam!