• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver Caterers

Ducky

In August my wife celebrates her tenth 29th birthday. We wanted to bring in some caterers for this - but our experience with the one or two "big guns" located at the entrance to Granville Island has been mixed.

If you have personal experience with a smaller catering company or personal chef that would cook for 25 - 30 people - I would appreciate any recommendation.

David Peake of Peake of Catering is a friend of my wife's in-law's family (how's that for disclosure?) - he did our wedding and my BIL's wedding and did them well. They tend to do larger functions, but 25-30 wouldn't be a problem I'm sure.

Link to Peake of Catering's slow flash website.

You might want to check out a thread I made earlier this month regarding restaurants that do catering. I'm not sure if that qualifies for "small catering company" though.. but I'm sure they do crowds of all sizes.

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

I'm not sure if Sean Heather at the Salty Tongue does outside catering but he created some great appies for me on my birthday in the Sheebeen. You may also want to get in touch with the culinary schools (Dubrulle or PCI).

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Who needs to shill with friends like you? :biggrin:

Far be it from me to turn away business, and I'd be happy to do it, but can I make another suggestion for you Ducky?

We have friends that do in-home Asian/Thai dinner parties.

As I see from one of your posts that you have an indoor wok....it might be kind of an interesting twist for a birthday party?

I can certainly attest to the fact that the food is excellent....especially the Pad Thai, and Salmon in Coconut Sauce. :wub:

Frances

**Edited to note that Steve and Trish are away until the 23rd of August filming their TV show in Malaysia and Singapore.

Edited by Chef Metcalf (log)

Snacky-cat and I have been enjoying the goodies from Marta's Pan-o-Pan for some time now and can attest to her skill in the kitchen. Heavenly appetizers and wonderful dinners that you need only re-heat. Try her balsamic & vanilla salad dressing....mmmm.....divine!

Having (excruciatingly) belatedly realized that Absolutely Fabulous has been catering my office Christmas parties for the past 10 years or something, I have to say that Lynn has the best damn cheese puffs I have ever eaten in my life. The rest of it ain't bad either :wink:

Edited for spelling.

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Critic's choice caterers is fabulous and former sous chef from Paprika's in Victoria and Lumiere is creative with appies, entrees great and the price is right.

I've recommended them to seveal people, all were impressed.

www.criticschoicecaterers.com

• 2 weeks later...
David Peake of Peake of Catering is a friend of my wife's in-law's family (how's that for disclosure?) - he did our wedding and my BIL's wedding and did them well. They tend to do larger functions, but 25-30 wouldn't be a problem I'm sure.

Wait a sec. Is this the same David Peake that used to have ViVa restaurant in the late '80's??