• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Books in New York

For the New York Public Library, you can go online to NYPL.org and do a search. Once you find a book you want, you can put it on reserve and you can designate which branch you want for pick-up.

Otherwise, the best store is Kitchen Arts & Letters on Lex and 93rd.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Kitchen Arts & Letters

1435 Lexington Avenue

Manhattan

212-876-5550, 212-876-3584 fax

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

www.bonnieslotnickcookbooks.com

Used cookbooks. Great place.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

• 2 weeks later...
The Strand Bookstore, just south of Union Square past the Loews theatre.  Adress online somewhere, sorry.

The Strand is an interesting place specializing in used books and reviewer copies. They also appear to have current books discounted, but I don't think they're going to be a source of "most pastry books in circulation." Nevertheless great for serendipidous browsing.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.