• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheesesteak Offspring; Past and Future

Two places that I don’t seem to love as much as the rest of the world would be Gaetano’s and Primo’s. But in both cases it’s mainly because I don’t like the roll. Do they use the same bakery?

Also from my days of living in the Debellaware Valley (moved 1988) I didn’t remember chicken cheese steaks or roasted pork. Are these relatively new phenomenons? What will the next trend be? Ham cheesesteak? Salmon cheesesteak?

Nobody eats at that restaurant anymore. It's always too crowded.

---Yogi Berra

I like Primo's rolls, but I have no idea how they tasted 17 years ago.

Chicken cheesesteaks [sic] are probably the result of the "healthy eating" trend. I'd guess they've been fowling grills for about 10 years. :biggrin:

Roast pork is as old as Italy, but it's still not available at many pizza & cheesesteak joints. You need an oven and a warmer; that's extra equipment.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

Just to clarify the family still loves in the area (parents same house in fact) so the Primos hoagie was last year. My restaurant addiction never goes on vacation so I recently chowed on many a hoagie and steak: White House hoagie (heaven), Chick's Cold Cuts (no wonder Philly magazine did the blasphemy of naming a Joisey place best cheesesteak two years ago), Gaetano's (I don't get the hype), Jim's (very good).

And as far as sandwiches, OMG Kibitz Room is sensational.

Nobody eats at that restaurant anymore. It's always too crowded.

---Yogi Berra

Roast pork italians are incredibly popular in Philly now. I remember having one about 10 or 12 years ago at Frusco's in the Northeast. I think it was just called a pork sandwich at the time, but it was served with spinach. Broccoli Rabe is of course more fashionable now! Over the past couple of years the pork sandwich rivals cheesesteaks and fuels your typical "who makes the best" debate.

I had one last month (while visiting back home in Philly) at RTM, Di Nics. Holy pig was it good!!

As for chicken cheesesteaks, I think they go back about 15 years. I actually prefer chicken to steak, but will eat either, of course.

Edited by monavano (log)

Just to clarify the family still loves in the area (parents same house in fact) so the Primos hoagie was last year.  My restaurant addiction never goes on vacation so I recently chowed on many a hoagie and steak: White House hoagie (heaven), Chick's Cold Cuts (no wonder Philly magazine did the blasphemy of naming a Joisey place best cheesesteak two years ago), Gaetano's (I don't get the hype), Jim's (very good).

And as far as sandwiches, OMG Kibitz Room is sensational.

Pardon me but that was in Cherry Hill which is 40 miles south of the Joizey (AKA baja new york)/Southern New Jersey border.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

I like Primo's rolls, but I have no idea how they tasted 17 years ago.

I thought Primo's uses Sarcone's bread.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.