• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drive-Ins in Western Canada

Memo

Recently passed through Port Alberni en route to Tofino, where I was both surprised and delighted to find what appear to be the last two remaining drive-in restaurants in B.C. - The Clamshak and the J&L. If anyone knows of other drive-ins in this province - please inform.

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

Recently passed through Port Alberni en route to Tofino, where I was both surprised and delighted to find what appear to be the last two remaining drive-in restaurants in B.C. - The Clamshak and the J&L.  If anyone knows of other drive-ins in this province - please inform.

How was the food?

I'll be passing through there on Monday. I'll stop by, try the food, take some photos and post a report later on next week.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

How was the food?

I'll be passing through there on Monday.  I'll stop by, try the food, take some photos and post a report later on next week.

Well... the sheer surprise at sighting an original drive-in far outweighed the food experience. The Clamshak boasts some indoor seating in addition to the turn-your-lights-on-for-service carside.

The menu signage is separated by seafood items and regular diner/burger items. My Fanny Bay oyster burger was moist and satisfying - but the fries were a little overfried, with a woody/hard exterior. Fortunately, the tray arrives with malt vinegar (a plus in my books) - which greatly improves their flavor and sogs their coating! My hostage ordered the cod - and it had a thick crispy coating.

Be warned, 99-percent of their customers appear to be supersized. The blonde waitress, however, is lithe and glowing - and definitely enjoys her job working at this piece of dining history.

I never visited the nearby J&L drive-in (although I drove past twice) - so if you make it there, I look forward to a report.

Also, do make sure to squeal your tires (a Port Alberni quirk) on leaving!

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

Memo's post, plus the fact that I'd be driving through Port Alberni on my way camping, inspired me to check out the Clamshak.

gallery_24989_1408_11036.jpg

gallery_24989_1408_544.jpg

The place is just slightly off the main drag in Port Alberni, down the street from the Norske mill and across the street from KalTire. Not much in the way of mise en scene, but hey, it's a drive-in in Port Alberni, not Lumiere.

As reported, there is indeed some indoor seating, along with a picnic table outside you can sit on.

gallery_24989_1408_28816.jpg

The clientele do indeed appear to be well fed. I didn't see/hear any burn-outs in the parking lot, but there were several homebuilt monster trucks parked there...perhaps I just didn't stay long enough to enjoy the show. :laugh:

We sampled their hot dog, chicken toes (fingers to us Mainlanders), cheeseburger, fries and onion rings:

Hot Dog: not bad, a bit too small for the bun but otherwise OK. The dog was for my son, so lacked toppings other than ketchup, but it seems a decent assortment of toppings are available. Served slided in half.

Chicken Toes, Onion Rings: cooked from frozen, right out of the Sysco box. My son loved them. Me, not so much.

Cheeseburger: Meh. Nice homemade patty, but way too thin - a double burger would be a must here. Lettuce and tomato were fresh and crispy, but the bun was of the day-old-grocery-store type. Cheese is the plastic, processed variety. Overall, not as bad as it sounds but nothing to write home about.

French Fries: My experience was the exact opposite from Memo's - my fries were excellent. Perfectly cooked and nicely salted with no greasy taste at all. They were the first fries in recent memory that actually tasted like potatoes - a little weird at first, but nice once I got over the shock! :laugh:

www.leecarney.com

• 2 weeks later...

I've brought this thread back from "great beyond."

With summer upon us (or so I'm told) I started thinking about road trips and stopping for burgers & rings alond the way.

Am I destined for White Spot and the occaisional A&W? Do I seek out the Clamshak?

We're looking for anything in Western Canada. RESTAURANTS only please :hmmm::biggrin:

A.

Thanks, Daddy-A. You are a peach.

According to the White Spot head office, there are several locations "off the island" that are solid drive-ins with no drive-thru options. Can anyone confirm? It's got to be either a turn your lights on for service or speaker-phone beside your parking spot.

1126 SE Marine, Vancouver

4126 Lougheed Hwy, Burnaby

4075 North Road, Burnaby

7207-120 Street, Delta

1100-333 Brooksbank Ave, North Vancouver

19651 Fraser Hwy, Langley

20855 Lougheed Hwy, Maple Ridge

45373 Luckakuck Way, Chilliwack

2190 Harvey Avenue, Kelowna

1-555 Notre Dame Drive, Kamloops

10181-152nd Street, Surrey

Thanks, Daddy-A. You are a peach.
That's a viscious rumour ...
According to the White Spot head office, there are several locations "off the island" that are solid drive-ins with no drive-thru options. Can anyone confirm? It's got to be either a turn your lights on for service or speaker-phone beside your parking spot.

1126 SE Marine, Vancouver

4126 Lougheed Hwy, Burnaby

4075 North Road, Burnaby

These 3 I can confirm. All are of the "turn-your-lights-on" variety.

A.

1100-333 Brooksbank Ave, North Vancouver

10181-152nd Street, Surrey

Yes to "turn-your-lights-on" service for these locations as well.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Same with the Delta location. "turn-Your-Lights-On" or you can just sit in your car in a daze because you drank too much the night before and have the dogs bark until someone notices you. That's what happened the last time I was there. (My mom and I should never try and do things together when we are both hungover, it's very ugly)

We didnt have a chance to stop by (we were late for the ferry), but it would seem that Port Alberni is home to TWO authentic drive-ins. The J & L Drive-in at 4422 Gertrude Street has car-hop service, according to the Pacific Rim Visitors Choice brochure. It says that J&L was voted Best Burgers on the Island by the Times Colonist.

So who is heading to Port Alberni next and is willing to report backÉ

www.leecarney.com

We didnt have a chance to stop by (we were late for the ferry), but it would seem that Port Alberni is home to TWO authentic drive-ins.  The J & L Drive-in at 4422 Gertrude Street has car-hop service, according to the Pacific Rim Visitors Choice brochure.  It says that J&L was voted Best Burgers on the Island by the Times Colonist.

So who is heading to Port Alberni next and is willing to report backÉ

Well I would think that Steve aka Stovetop could weigh in on this area as he is in Port Alberni isn't he? But we haven't heard from him in a while so perhaps he's moved.

Oh well. No doubt someone will be driving up to Tofino in the not too distant future and will dutifully check out J&L.... for the good of all :biggrin:

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Well I would think that Steve aka Stovetop could weigh in on this area as he is in Port Alberni isn't he?  But we haven't heard from him in a while so perhaps he's moved.

Stovetop Steve is currently working in New Denver, a far cry from Port Alberni. Maybe there's a Drive-In in the Kootenays we don't know about yet ...

A.