• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Elbulli questions - not about the food!

. . . . I stayed at the "camping" - the Cala Montjoi "City of Vacations" when I started my stage there last season. They said that I was the first stagiaire to be able to walk the beach home at the end of the night. :biggrin: . . .

As for the drive down the road at night? You do not want to be on that road when the stagiaires are unleashed for the night. It is a hair-raising, heart-in-your-throat, white-knuckle race to last call in Roses.

I assume you moved into town when you found out where the party was. :biggrin:

I've always found Taxis in Spain to be pretty inexpensive. Although we've not taken a taxi to elBulli from Roses, I've generally recommended it as a reasonable thing to do. I don't always recommend following what I do as the reasonable thing to do. No one's ever mentioned the price before. I assumed it was well less than that. It's good to know the price.

Bux- The taxi ride is a rip off, but convenient of course, especially after four hours of eating and DRINKING. It's so funny because my wife was nudging me in the cab and saying in hushed tones "where the hell is his taxi meter, I don't see it". He had no meter that we could see. We paid more for the ride back as well. I think it was 25 going to elBulli and 28 back to the hotel :wacko: .

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Train to Figueres and then taxi to Roses, easy but the taxi will cost you about 45 euros.

Well, our holiday plans are taking shape but it's been a bit of a hassle, especially as my Spanish/Catalan are worse than my mediocre French.

We are booked in at El Celler de can Roca on Fri 26th August, and staying overnight at hotel Ciutat.

The following day, we will get a SARFA bus to Roses and a taxi (or boat!) to El Bulli, and back again after the meal.

Accomodation in Roses is also booked, so all that's left to organise is the return trip from Roses to Girona airport.

Questions to those who live in, or are familiar with the area:

1. Should I try to book a seat on the SARFA bus (Girona to Roses) or is it a 'turn up and pay on board' situation?

2. The SARFA bus will not meet our schedule requirements for the Roses-Girona return leg, so is the only option available going to be a taxi from Roses-Figueres, then a train from Figueres to Girona airport? These trains seem regular enough..

Thanks in advance,

Simon

Bux- The taxi ride is a rip off,  . . .

I hope you didn't take the taxi on my adivce, now I owe you two drinks. :biggrin:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Train to Figueres and then taxi to Roses, easy but the taxi will cost you about 45 euros.

Well, our holiday plans are taking shape but it's been a bit of a hassle, especially as my Spanish/Catalan are worse than my mediocre French.

We are booked in at El Celler de can Roca on Fri 26th August, and staying overnight at hotel Ciutat.

The following day, we will get a SARFA bus to Roses and a taxi (or boat!) to El Bulli, and back again after the meal.

Accomodation in Roses is also booked, so all that's left to organise is the return trip from Roses to Girona airport.

1. Should I try to book a seat on the SARFA bus (Girona to Roses) or is it a 'turn up and pay on board' situation?

2. The SARFA bus will not meet our schedule requirements for the Roses-Girona return leg, so is the only option available going to be a taxi from Roses-Figueres, then a train from Figueres to Girona airport? These trains seem regular enough..

Thanks in advance,

Simon

It is allso possible to take ZAFRA BUS Roses - Girona airport direktly.

It is more expensiv then the normal buss prices(14 euros if I remember).

I thinck there is 3 or 4 busses a day. The first one at 9 i think.

Hope you find the Way.

Mumin.

Thanks in advance,

Simon

It is allso possible to take ZAFRA BUS Roses - Girona airport direktly.

It is more expensiv then the normal buss prices(14 euros if I remember).

I thinck there is 3 or 4 busses a day. The first one at 9 i think.

Hope you find the Way.

Mumin.

Thanks Mumin, but I can only find a very early bus, or one that's too late for our flight. I think I'll fork out for a taxi to Figueres, then a train (more regular than bus) to Girona Airport. Any idea if we need to book Sarfa bus tickets, or just pay at the time?

Thanks,

Simon

Hi

The train from Figueres goes to Girona, then you have to take a bus to the airport. The bus station is next to the train station and the journey takes about 20 minutes. The buses leave every hour on the hour from 5am-9pm. You get tickets on the bus. (this info is all from the renfe - the spanish railway company - site.)

Re Sarfa bus. Looks like you need to get tickets in person at the bus station. Obviously, the earlier you can get them the better, in case the seats do get sold out.