• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pink wine at the state stores?

webhill

Hi. I couldn't decide if this belonged in Pennsylvania, or Wine, or if there was already someplace that discussed it (I am having a very hard time with the search function - I do not like this 40 second rule!), so I'm just jumping in here.

My big issue in the summer is not being able to find any nice pink wines. I live near the Conshohocken LCB store on Ridge Pike - there is as far as I can tell NO ONE on staff there with half a clue (the one time I tried to order stuff, have it delivered there, and pick it up, it was a complete nightmare with the staff people having no clue what was going on, telling me it wasn't there, calling me back that it was there, not being able to find it... gaaaaah). But anyway, I liked the Bonny Doon Vin Gris de Cigare that I tried last year, but haven't seen it anywhere... and I like to try other blush wines during the summer months, I just find that many of them go well with our casual summertime meals - but I decidedly am not a fan of Sutter Home White Zinfandel or the clones of it which I seem to see in the "pink section" of the state store.

So, does anyone have any recommendations of something likely to be in stock at the Conshy store - or heck, I could go to Ardmore, I work in Ardmore, so it's not a stretch :)

Thanks!

-h.

Hi. I couldn't decide if this belonged in Pennsylvania, or Wine, or if there was already someplace that discussed it (I am having a very hard time with the search function - I do not like this 40 second rule!), so I'm just jumping in here.

My big issue in the summer is not being able to find any nice pink wines. I live near the Conshohocken LCB store on Ridge Pike - there is as far as I can tell NO ONE on staff there with half a clue (the one time I tried to order stuff, have it delivered there, and pick it up, it was a complete nightmare with the staff people having no clue what was going on, telling me it wasn't there, calling me back that it was there, not being able to find it... gaaaaah). But anyway, I liked the Bonny Doon Vin Gris de Cigare that I tried last year, but haven't seen it anywhere... and I like to try other blush wines during the summer months, I just find that many of them go well with our casual summertime meals - but I decidedly am not a fan of Sutter Home White Zinfandel or the clones of it which I seem to see in the "pink section" of the state store.

So, does anyone have any recommendations of something likely to be in stock at the Conshy store - or heck, I could go to Ardmore, I work in Ardmore, so it's not a stretch :)

Thanks!

-h.

A search of the PLCB website shows the following selections available at Specialty stores:

California wines

Bonny Doon Big House Pink 2004 $9.99

Cline Vin Gris 2003 $9.99

French wines

Comanderie de Bargemone Rose, C. d'Aix-en-Provence 2004 $12.99

Guigal Cotes du Rhone Rose VI $14.99 (available in "Regular" stores)

Cave de Rasteau, Cotes du Rhone Rose "Les Viguiers" 2004 $9.99

Segries Tavel Rose 2003 $13.99

Italian wines

Falesco Rosato 2004 $9.99

All of the above are good selections and quite reasonable, as most rose wines tend to be.

My personal favorite Pink wine in the whole world is:

Domaine de la Courtade L'Alycastre Rose 2004 SLO Code # 054449 $11.49

This wine is grown on an island off the coast of Nice that is quite literally the sunniest place in France. It's a beautiful salmon color and smells like rose petals and sunshine. It's absolutely delicious.

If you were to order a case of this and have it shipped to your favorite store you wouldn't be disappointed. This was available by the glass at Rouge and Sansom Street Oyster House, but not sure about that now. I'll see if I can call the distributor and find out for sure who's carrying it by the glass so you can take it for a test drive.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Did you check out any of the PA wineries and vinyards? I've had some mixed luck with them. I'm a red wine type of girl, which, IMO PA is not the best place for, but I have found a one or two that I actually like. You might want to check out the Clover Hill Winery store in KOP in the Plaza. I live right down the road from the Robesonia location and have found them to be super helpful and much more knowledgeable than anyone at a LCB store. Check out this site for more PA wine possibilities.

Domaine de la Courtade L'Alycastre Rose 2004  SLO Code # 054449  $11.49

This wine is grown on an island off the coast of Nice that is quite literally the sunniest place in France.  It's a beautiful salmon color and smells like rose petals and sunshine.  It's absolutely delicious.

If you were to order a case of this and have it shipped to your favorite store you wouldn't be disappointed.  This was available by the glass at Rouge and Sansom Street Oyster House, but not sure about that now.  I'll see if I can call the distributor and find out for sure who's carrying it by the glass so you can take it for a test drive.

Hi Katie,

I was hoping you'd reply to me :)

Thank you for your detailed list. I'm not sure I'd be a fan of the Big House Pink based on the description the winery gives for that vs the Vin Gris de Cigare (although then again, I haven't disliked any of Bonny Doon's wines yet!) but I could give it a try. You have me very much interested in your favorite, though. I think I'll ask my mom if she wants to split a case with me :)

Now I have to go find that thread I saw before about how to do the special ordering thing (that's what SLO is, right?), and maybe send it to a different place than Conshy...

thanks very much! And if you do find out where they have that by the glass, I'd be interested.

-hillary

Hello, Just thought you would like to know that I checked on Katie’s list for you and added a couple more.

I also checked the two closest stores to both Conshocken and Ardmore Byrn Mawr and Swede Square.

Bonny Doon Big House Pink #16103 $9.99 Ardmore, Conshocken, Bryn Mawr all showing inventory.

Cline Vin Gris #16104 $9.99 Bryn Mawr

Comanderie de Bargemone Rose #21292 $12.99 Swede Square

Guigal Cotes du Rhone Rose #4884 $14.99 Conshocken, Ardmore, Bryn Mawr and Swede

Segries Tavel Rose #21953 $13.99 None in any of the four stores

Falesco Rosato #25044 $9.99 Ardmore Bryn Mawr

Also a couple more to add to Katie’s list

Vinum Cellars Rose It’s O.K. #16100 $9.99 Ardmore, Bryn Mawr

Struzziero Fiano di Aveloino Rosetto #25239 $17.99 Ardmore

Delhein Pinotage Rose #28460 $11.99 Bryn Mawr (only has 4 bottles)

Hope this helps, Deidre

Domaine de la Courtade L'Alycastre Rose 2004   SLO Code # 054449  $11.49

This wine is grown on an island off the coast of Nice that is quite literally the sunniest place in France.  It's a beautiful salmon color and smells like rose petals and sunshine.  It's absolutely delicious.

If you were to order a case of this and have it shipped to your favorite store you wouldn't be disappointed.  This was available by the glass at Rouge and Sansom Street Oyster House, but not sure about that now.  I'll see if I can call the distributor and find out for sure who's carrying it by the glass so you can take it for a test drive.

Hi Katie,

Thank you for your detailed list. I'm not sure I'd be a fan of the Big House Pink based on the description the winery gives for that vs the Vin Gris de Cigare (although then again, I haven't disliked any of Bonny Doon's wines yet!) but I could give it a try. You have me very much interested in your favorite, though. I think I'll ask my mom if she wants to split a case with me :)

Now I have to go find that thread I saw before about how to do the special ordering thing (that's what SLO is, right?), and maybe send it to a different place than Conshy...

thanks very much! And if you do find out where they have that by the glass, I'd be interested.

-hillary

I am up for sharing a case of the L'Alycastre Rose given the effusive review from Katie. If some peeps want to order a case, I would be in for say - uh - 4?

Dough can sense fear.

Hi Katie,

-hillary

I am up for sharing a case of the L'Alycastre Rose given the effusive review from Katie. If some peeps want to order a case, I would be in for say - uh - 4?

That assumes you ahve to order a case at a time. I will call them ans ask.....

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

-hillary

Hillary, you can place a special order by calling 1-800-332-7522 option 1 or 2 and have it shipped to Ardmore if you wish since you work there.

Deidre

Oooh! The Struzziero Fiano de Avelino that Deidre recommends is also very tasty!!

Both Rouge and Sansom Street Oyster House still have the Domaine de la Courtade rose by the glass if anyone cares to try it.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tried this yet? I just received six bottles but haven't had a chance to sample yet.

-hillary

Hillary, you can place a special order by calling 1-800-332-7522 option 1 or 2 and have it shipped to Ardmore if you wish since you work there.

Deidre

I was wondering if anyone has ordered and tried this yet. Just received 6 bottles but haven't had a chance to sample it..

Domaine de la Courtade L'Alycastre Rose 2004 SLO Code # 054449 $11.49

This wine is grown on an island off the coast of Nice that is quite literally the sunniest place in France. It's a beautiful salmon color and smells like rose petals and sunshine. It's absolutely delicious.

If you were to order a case of this and have it shipped to your favorite store you wouldn't be disappointed. This was available by the glass at Rouge and Sansom Street Oyster House, but not sure about that now. I'll see if I can call the distributor and find out for sure who's carrying it by the glass so you can take it for a test drive.