• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sustainability Luncheon at C

Daddy-A

Rob's speech is the last of my transcriptions from the event. Unfortunately, Bonnie Van Durme (Producer, Kagan Bay Scallops) did not pick up on the tape and I had to leave the event before Stephen Wong spoke. Part of the beginning of Rob's speech was obscured by helicopters passing overhead, but I managed to capture the majority of what he said.

Rob's speech is the last of my transcriptions from the event. Unfortunately, Bonnie Van Durme (Producer, Kagan Bay Scallops) did not pick up on the tape and I had to leave the event before Stephen Wong spoke. Part of the beginning of Rob's speech was obscured by helicopters passing overhead, but I managed to capture the majority of what he said.

Andy,

Thanks again for pausing your schedule to transcribe these passionately spoken words. We now have several different perspectives speaking to the same message and that's important reading.

Jamie

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

I was very pleased to have a second opportunity to sample the food at C. My first dinner there last year was part of whirlwind tour of the city's restaruants and perhaps not the best circumstances to judge it under.

I loved the beautiful simplicity of the tuna and pea soup courses and the unfussy preperation allowed the flavour of the superb seafood to sing out.

I found the salmon to be problematic, and argued long into the night at the Fairmont Hotel bar about the absence of salt from the dish. My arguement is that food should be correctly seasoned. By not using salt, you are failing to draw out all the potential flavour of the dish. The counter arguement, if I recall it correctly, was that the absence of salt allowed the true character of the salmon to emerge.

The sablefish was a terrific dish, although I am still not a fan of C's "bubbles". I missed out on the scallop, the cheesecake, and as I was driving, the wines which I am told were absolutely stunning.

It has suprised me how quickly questions of sustainability have already informed my purchasing decsions. I am more willing to ask questions, reject menu choices, and bring up the discussion with my friends when I am eating out with them. It has not become an idealogue - but a matter making more informed choices.

For example - things nearly came to blows with cousin's wedding - with the younger generation refusing to serve shark's fin soup and the older generation being deeply concerned over traditions being lost. Real changes start with debates (painful at times) like these.

So - things like the C Luncheon do not happen in a vacuum and it is not simply preaching to the choir.

As for the Shark Fin debate - my cousin eventually acquiesced to his parents. Much like Disney has bowed to local HK pressures to serve shark's fin soup at the new HK Disneyland.

Thanks Andy for providing all of the speeches and discussions.

It has suprised me how quickly questions of sustainability have already informed my purchasing decsions. I am more willing to ask questions, reject menu choices, and bring up the discussion with my friends when I am eating out with them.  It has not become an idealogue - but a matter making more informed choices.

For example - things nearly came to blows with cousin's wedding - with the younger generation refusing to serve shark's fin soup and the older generation being deeply concerned over traditions being lost. Real changes start with debates (painful at times) like these. 

So - things like the C Luncheon do not happen in a vacuum and it is not simply preaching to the choir. 

As for the Shark Fin debate - my cousin eventually acquiesced to his parents.  Much like Disney has bowed to local HK pressures to serve shark's fin soup at the new HK Disneyland.

Thanks Andy for providing all of the speeches and discussions.

How well stated. And on the younger cusp of the generational divide is where, thankfully, the future lies.

I see another tipping point for this issue as well: this months copy of Forks and Corks, Tourism vancouver's well-produced newsletter, features Oceanwise. Together with other groups such as Chefs' Table and what Andy is proposing for London this autumn, the future might be said to look brighter.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

chiming in here on two fronts:

I too have been made much more aware of the sustainability of our food sources and it has sparked much discussion among those I know and changed my purchasing several times already. I am very glad to have had the chance to hear about what is going on and taste some sustainable foods ...

Also, the food at C was truly incredible. Since then, everything I have eaten has been compared and contrasted to that delicious lunch with many courses and many inventive cooking and presentation techniques. The food, preparation, service were astounding and outstanding and it has left a lingering delicious taste in my mouth!

ok a 3rd item, the company both at our table and mingling should not go unmentioned.

• 2 months later...

The lead story in the November 2 edition of Dine & Dash focuses on the expansion of the Ocean Wise Seafood Conservation Program, an initiative spearheaded by the Vancouver Aquarium and C Restaurant.

The occasion was to announce the expansion of the Ocean Wise Seafood Conservation Program – an innovative program launched by the Vancouver Aquarium in January of this year to help diners identify restaurants and dishes that have as small an impact on the oceans as possible and to help local chefs and restaurant owners to reduce the number of non-sustainable seafood items on their menus.

The 16 founding restaurant partners include such high profile Vancouver restaurants as C Restaurant and today they were officially joined by 13 new members including: Aurora Bistro, Cactus Club, The Fish House in Stanley Park, Grouse Mountain’s Altitude and Observatory restaurants, Joe Fortes, Le Gavroche, Nu, Pearl on the Rocks, Provence Marinaside, Restaurant 62, Vij's, and Wild Rice.

Further details are available on the Ocean Wise Canada website, a link to which is noted above.

Edited to give deserved props to C Restaurant.

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg