• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WOW: 2004 Garretson Celeidh Dry Rose'

Rebel Rose

All this vineyard work is making me very, very thirsty. And while I mostly drink water and Sprite while working, there's just nothing better at the end of the day than taking a shower, putting on a flimsy sundress, and kicking back with a chilled rose'. So I'm off to Garretson Wine Company to stock up on the 2004 Celeidh. Anyone care to join me?

From the website:

Winemaker’s Notes:

One look at this wine and you know it is not your typical rosé.  While the color is dark, the aromas are a clear indication that this is one serious pink.  Notes of cranberry, pomegranite, sassafrass, rhubarb and cherry dominate the nose and the palate.  The finish is rich and satisfying with a hint of acidity.

At 14.4% alcohol and $18, it might be a bit much for some people, but I like rose's with some grip and personality. Not so much for quaffing as for pairing with a nice antipasto plate of goodies like the coppa ham-stuffed salami from A. G. Ferrari, a selection of olives and baby corn from Santa Barbara Olive Co., and later this summer, some stuffed cherry peppers from the garden.

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

• 2 weeks later...

Although Mat's winemaker notes state that the color is dark, I was still surprised by the intensely syrah color, very purple. I chilled it in the commercial fridge, and initially tasted it in the winery with the aircon running full tilt, but I was still able to pick out initial impressions of oak, smoke, and licorice--very unusual for a rose'-style wine.

There's a definite tingle--a spritziness--which is surprising but not unpleasant. I looked for the cranberry and rhubarb character that Mat lists in his notes. Those flavors are there, but more subtle, I think, than upfront. I find the usual syrah flavors of various blue and black berries, but in more of a health food juice style than the heavy compote style of full on syrahs. The finish is slightly sweet, but not inappropriate for the style and flavor.

I served this wine, along with a chilled Dover Canyon 2004 Roussanne, at ladies' book night (ahem, thinly disguised excuse to ditch the men and kids) with an antipasto platter, local olives cured with lime juice and lemon zest olive oil, a salad of greens, potatoes, and pine nuts prepared by Jolie from Willow Creek Olive Ranch, and a goat cheese tart with caramelized onions, roasted sweet corn, red and yellow peppers, and basil.

The Garretson Celeidh (pronounced kay-leedh) sports a picnic-friendly screwtop, and a complex, femme label.

60% Syrah

22% Grenache

15% Mourvèdre

3% Roussanne

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook