• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese food and Father's Day

hzrt8w

Happy Father's Day, everyone!

Took my wife's father to a regular dim sum brunch. The place was packed!!! I guess everybody feels guilty for not treating his/her father often enough throughout the year and today is the day to make up for it! :raz: I think Chinese Dim Sum and Seafood restaurants all across the country have a terribly busy day today.

My FIL just took the usual - a bowl of congee with pork and pei dan [Cantonese] - thousand year old egg, and he's happy.

Where did you take your father or in-law? Did it involve Chinese food?

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

We pampered hubby/Dad here at home. The kids and I bought Bill a new 17" LCD flat screen monitor. Son Robin had it set up with a Happy Father's Day greeting on it. He had to close his eyes as I led him towards his computer desk. Older son and his family came over and we had waffles, bacon, eggs and fruit for brunch.

The only Chinese food we had was spinach soup with pork tenderloin slices. The rest of the supper was BBQ bison striploins, and skewers of 2 oz.lobster tails with chunks of peppers, mushrooms, red onions and zucchini.

Oh, wait, we had persimmons for dessert! Does that count...even if they were imported from Chili? :blink::laugh:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Oh, wait, we had persimmons for dessert! Does that count...even if they were imported from Chili? :blink:  :laugh:

Isn't persimmons originated from China?

My late father loved the Cantonese braised ducks (Chan Pei Up [Cantonese]), with skins and fat and all. In his later years, he had to watch his diet because of his heart problem. And we always asked him not to eat the skin/fat. So once a year, he used the opportunity at the Father Day's dinner to enjoy his favorite dish... and he knew that's the only day that nobody would say anything... :smile:

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

My father has passed on. We took my husband to A Taste of New York Deli, which opened recently in Honolulu. We haven't had a deli here for quite some time, and he really enjoyed the pastrami on rye sandwich (we split one -- it contains 11 ounces of meat!!!). 5" high cheesecake for dessert, from the Carnegie Deli's recipe.

But we did stop in Chinatown on the way home, to buy some tea he likes!

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

We, of course, took my father for chinese food last night. But I think that's Jewish tradition.... Chinese food on all non-Jewish holidays ... Christmas... New Years... Father's day.... :wink:

We, of course, took my father for chinese food last night.  But I think that's Jewish tradition.... Chinese food on all non-Jewish holidays ... Christmas... New Years... Father's day....  :wink:

I like your tradition! Did you have Peking duck like the movie "A Christmas Story"? :rolleyes:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I like your tradition! Did you have Peking duck like the movie "A Christmas Story"? :rolleyes:

No... but we did have what this restaurant called Peking soup... very good. :smile:

No... but we did have what this restaurant called Peking soup... very good. :smile:

Which restaurant, Pam? Would you recommend it?

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Which restaurant, Pam? Would you recommend it?

I have no idea what the name is - but I'll try to remember to ask my sister. It's on Scurfield (my new neighbourhood that I am just beginning to get to know).

The food was good - it's not the best I've had, but good. I grew up eating chinese food in the city, but in the last few years my family hasn't really been happy with the places we used to go to.... I'm not sure where to go for great chinese anymore. I still think Victoria Seafood has good food... For the last few years the chinese restaurant in Gimli was amazing - but I think it's changed owners... haven't been since last year. The place in Winnipeg beach was good as well. There is another place on Regent (right next to the Louise Bridge) that used to be good... many people I know like Dalat and go often... and others go to the vegetarian place on Pembina.

Always looking for a good place though... know of any? :smile:

We visited DS.There were 3 Fathers present. My DH, DS and his DFIL . I wasn't in charge of the cooking, but the flank steak DDIL cooked had a soy based marinade. Does that count?