• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sup spots near the Garage

Feedbag

Hey there,

Wondered if anyone had any recommendations about where to get

a quick bite before a concert at GM Place? (I'm going to see Tom

Jones!!!)

I've frankly never dined before a show, so can't think of a ding-darn

place. Nothing fancy, ethnicity not a consideration, just quick and good

(insert sex joke here).

Any and all suggestions appreciated!

I'm going too!

My parents and I are going to the early prix-fixe at West. Blue Water is closer to GM Place, though, they have a similar program (eat before 6:00).

The Beatty Street Bar & Grill in the Georgia Court Hotel (b/w Robson & Georgia) is fairly quick...quicker than the Shark Club, e.g. They also have martini specials on Fridays. The burgers are pretty reliable...I eat there often, as my office is across the street. Moxie's takes more than an hour for lunch, so I don't eat there. They might be OK if you have enough time.

You could try the bar at Wild Rice or Chambar, but I have no idea about if you'd have to wait to be seated, or how busy the kitchen is early.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

The Kingston is fine for casual food, decent burgers, pizzas and good draught beer selection.

Also I understand Wilson's have reworked their "a la carte" menu concept and now offer substantially lower prices than when they first opened - they always had good beef so if the prices are lower they might be worth a try. Getting a seat was never an issue any time I have been there.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

Duh! Wild Rice was designed for pre GM Place events. Empty and quick early, plus parking is "almost" free in front (and plentiful) plus a semi-pleasant three block walk after dinner, depending on the concentrations of street people. The best part is traffic is light post show in the neighbourhood, opposed to the struggle to get out of one of the onsite parking lots.

Definately, Wild rice. Or maybe Chambar.

The Beatty Street Bar & Grill in the Georgia Court Hotel (b/w Robson & Georgia) is fairly quick...quicker than the Shark Club, e.g. They also have martini specials on Fridays. The burgers are pretty reliable...

You could try the bar at Wild Rice or Chambar, but I have no idea about if you'd have to wait to be seated, or how busy the kitchen is early.

I'll second Beatty St B+G - unless I'm mistaken, their food comes out of the same kitchen as the William Tell. It's definitely better than your average bar food. Plus some decent beers on tap.

I've eaten at the bars at both Wild Rice and Chambar, pretty quick service both times even though Chambar was slammed as usual when I was there. Wild Rice is open all afternoon, Chambar opens at 5:30pm.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Even closer than Wild Rice is the pub in the library building: the Fox and Firkin. Certainly good for before concert drinks -- we got slightly altered there before David Bowie -- and the food didn't look bad. It's the sort of pub/restaurant that is on every corner in Toronto but which is only making inroads in Vancouver lately.

Paul B

Even closer than Wild Rice is the pub in the library building: the Fox and Firkin.  Certainly good for before concert drinks -- we got slightly altered there before David Bowie -- and the food didn't look bad.  It's the sort of pub/restaurant that is on every corner in Toronto but which is only making inroads in Vancouver lately.

Went by the library today and noticed that the Fox and Firkin is closed. Don't know what is going into that space.

Hey guys, thanks a bunch for the recommendations!

Lucky you, Deborah, getting to go to West. I don't have

that kinda scratch these days....

I think I'll try the Beatty Street Grill. The words "martini specials"

popped out at me. Besides, "It's not unusual to have fun at any time...."

Will let you know how it goes. Now where are

those French lace panties... Tom Jones!!!!!!

:laugh:

You know, we are not going to West after all, as I can't afford to treat on the regular menu, and the early prix-fixe choices are not appealing to my parental units today...we'll probably end up at Chambar I think, after all that!!

I've got my fingers crossed he'll play Delilah!

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies