• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

busy restaurants

chef koo

i think i mremember talkinjg to a few people who claimed that earls on marine in west vancouver was the busiest restaurant in all of greater vancouver. a friend of mine used to work at joe fortes where they regularily had over 600 covers a night. someone who i just met who had worked at the marina grill in north vancouver said that they have a 200 seat dining room and they easily have 23 seatings. does anyone have any exact numbers?

bork bork bork

interesting thread as it's rare that I look beyond my own section!

through the prism of my own little world: tonight I served 18 people - one sixtop and six deuces - and worked. The restaurant did about 150 people, but does usually 200+ on the weekends (with the patio).

the marina grill in north vancouver said that they have a 200 seat dining room and they easily have 23 seatings

23 seatings? sign me up! :laugh: typos can be amusing.

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Fortes does around 600 covers a night thurs-sat during the summer. 450 would be a quiet night during the summer. Dollar value ( and probably covers) it's definately more than anywhere else in the city.

Derek

Milestone's Inner Harbour (Victoria) does (did, when I did my time at least ....) anywhere from 600 to 800 covers a night during the summer. People always said it was the "busiest restaurant in BC", but could never get anyone to qualify that.

On exceptional days, like Canada Day, it could be a little more. Mother's Day was even better (worse), getting near 1000 covers for daytime. We would have people just cracking and poaching eggs for 6 hours.

Believe it or not, I sometimes miss that place.

These days I don't think it's as much, given a lovely new Cactus Club in the downtown core, with their lovely "architecture", and a Ric's Grill just opened up the street.

-- Matt.

The Pink Pearl (inclusive of dim sum), Floata and The Keg (Thurlow Street) when there's no pepper spray in the washroom, would all be contenders.

J.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Dim Sum at Sun Sui Wah and Stephos - lined up to serve substandard Greek food with a focus on heavy (cheap) carbs. I even saw a line up down the block on Valentines Day. Don't think those relationships will last.

Gastronomista