• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BLT Prime

Bond Girl

The opening party tonight was quite impressive. I got to catch up with Christian Delouvrier on life after Ducasse, discuss the drama of suicide with Tony Bourdain (he seemed to think hanging himself in the shower was quite sufficient), find out the latest of "Cooking Under Fire" from Todd English, expound on the methods of kulfi making with Pichet Ong, and marveled at how lovely Stephanie March (Mrs. Bobby Flay) always seemed to look at these parties.

As for the food, there was meat in all formations (Hey it's called BLT Prime right?) from lamb to beef to pork, and classic side dishes to match. I couldn't eat most of the stuff, but my friend, Denise, seemed to really enjoy the little lamb appetizers, the roast beef looking thing that they slice and the steak. My plate of caramelized onions, creamed spinach, and scalloped potatos was simple but well executed. The dessert seemed appropriate to the menu with hearty carrot cakes and simple huckleberry pies.

Decor leans towards the clean modern style with all dark wood, black and whiite photos and sky lights, although the see through meat locker is mildly disturbing, and the steps leading down to the main dining room seemed to warrant a caution sign as several people fell over it. There is an upstairs area for those wh likes to look down on others and a downstairs room with a giant television screen froo sports fanatics. As Denise summed it up quite neatly, "it's a place I would take my father to."

BLT Prime

111 East 22nd Street

Tel:212- 995-8500

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

• 3 weeks later...

Very interesting that this should appear three weeks later.

It's got that BLT mix of elegance and informality, in its case arguably tipping too far toward the latter.
My companions and I tried a Kobe-style beef rib-eye and a strip steak, both expertly charred on the outside and pleasantly juicy within. A lamb shank was braised to a state of tenderness that made up for an excessive, intrusive red wine jus.
He could make a bid for the breakfast crowd: BLT Cornflakes.

BLT Prime (Frank Bruni)

Related discussion regarding Mr. Bruni's style as the main restaurant critic for the New York Times and the star system can be found here.

Sounds like a two star rating. Has anyone been here lately?

Soba

We went to BLT prime the opening Saturday night a couple of weeks ago (after an afternoon of the Big Apple BBQ).

The food was very good, not top steak house quality though. I had the "Kobe" skirt steak, my wife the l"rack of lamb". I was not taken by the skirt steak. It was good, but nothing special (I've had U.S. Kobe and Japanese Kobe previously), considering the cut of steak. The "rack" of lamb was actually 2 double cut chops. Very good and perfectly cooked to medium rare.

Side of mushrooms were very good, with the morels a littlle too salty.

Funny the wine list had several very good half bottles of bordeaux, but they were not available. The sommelier explanied he hadn't moved them from BLT Fish yet. We had a very nioe bottle of 1996 Olivier for less than $60 though.

Atmosphere was very informal and quite loud (music was very loud for background).

Not as pricey as the top steakhouses, and not quite as good.

Sounds like a two star rating.

We shall see; it sounded like one to me. BLT Steak was awarded two, but it was (at the time) unique. I think that as Tourondel syndicates the pattern — launching a BLT "fill-in-the-blank" franchise, in effect — he will be slapped down for it. This Diner's Journal entry was the first shot across the bow.

• 2 months later...

I dined at BLT Prime last night. Laurent Tourondel has now refined the BLT formula to a science, and the third restaurant in the chain is a triumph.

We started with two 'bread' amuses. The first was a sourdough bread with chicken liver paté. Second was a very fresh, soft garlic bread roll. For appetizers, two of us had the Grilled Double Cut Canadian Bacon ($9). These bacon strips are similar to those at Peter Luger. They aren't quite as thick as at Luger, but you get four of them on the plate, and they are lightly seasoned. My other colleague ordered the Tuna Tartare ($14), which was also an enormous helping, and he pronounced himself satisfied.

BLT serves its porterhouse pre-sliced, as in the Luger/Wolfgang's model. Unlike those restaurants, it is offered only for two. As there were three of us, we ordered the porterhouse ($79) and the 12 oz. kobe ribeye ($72). We divided on which was the more flavorful, although the porterhouse, which feeds two with some left to spare, is clearly the far better deal.

For side orders, we chose the onion rings ($8), the bleu cheese tater tots ($7), and the asparagus ($8). The menu at BLT Prime seems almost diabolically designed to encourage you to over-order. I don't believe a person with a normal appetite can finish an appetizer, their share of a porterhouse, and one of these ample side dishes, especially if you've also ordered wine. We ended the meal happy, but with quite a lot of food remaining on the table.

Only one of us could even dream of entertaining dessert. My colleague ordered the banana cream pie, which he said was heavenly. I strenuously resisted his suggestion of after-dinner drinks, but he insisted, so we finished the evening with 18-year Highland Park whisky.

For future reference, I'd say that three people of normal appetites would have plenty to eat if they ordered an appetizer apiece, and shared the porterhouse and two sides between them. Occasional glances around other tables confirmed that portions are enormous, practically no matter what you order.

All three of the BLT restaurants have been instant hits. BLT prime was full to the gills, and it was hard to carry on a conversation over the din. That's about the only negative at a restaurant that clicks on all cylinders.

Edited by oakapple (log)

. . . .

The menu at BLT Prime seems almost diabolically designed to encourage you to over-order. I don't believe a person with a normal appetite can finish an appetizer, their share of a porterhouse, and one of these ample side dishes, especially if you've also ordered wine. We ended the meal happy, but with quite a lot of food remaining on the table.

. . . .

I find this depressing to some degree. It's largely what drove us from steak houses and into the arms of French restaurants forty years ago. I recall my wife attempting to negotiate smaller courses at the old Daniel over ten years ago, and our appetites haven't increased over the years. I've very much enjoyed the food during a couple meals at BLT Steak, but it's a style I find more extravagant than Ducasse, Per Se, Daniel, le Bernardin, etc.

If I don't have room for dessert at the end of my meal, I feel there's something inherently flawed in the meal. Faced with a giant slab of meat hanging over the edge of a large plate, makes me uncomfortable. Perhaps it's no surprise I enjoy tasting menus of many courses, especially when they leave room for dessert(s).

I'm not sure why I share this, except perhaps to warn those whose preferences are different to question my recommendations. I've heard good reports from BLT Prime. Someday, I'm sure I'll enjoy a good meal there but leave muttering something about "wasteful," like an old codger. I was a fan of Cello. It catered well to my preferred style of dining and I miss it, but in a way, I'm pleased Tournadel has brought his talent to a style of restaurant that pleases many New Yorkers.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I noticed today that BLT Prime is now the #1 steakhouse in the city on Zagat. It is tied with Peter Luger with a 27 food rating, but has higher service and decor ratings (23/23 respectively for BLTP; 19/14 for PL).

Zagat must have made a process change, as I don't recall a restuarant as new as BLT Prime ever being rated before.

Edited by oakapple (log)

. . .  I think most steakhouses are used to giving out doggy bags.

I think steak houses pride themselves on having guests leave with a doggy bag.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

• 2 months later...

BLT Prime is the only restaurant in Laurent Tourondel's empire that's open on Sundays. I had a BLT craving today, so I headed out to the restaurant, arriving at 5:00pm (opening time).

Both BLT Prime and Steak serve a $28 entrée that's a riff on the familiar BLT sandwich. Here, it's made with 'kobe' beef and foie gras, and served on toasted ciabatta bread. (You'll find a photo of it at the website of either restaurant.) It's about the cheapest meal you can have at BLT. I decided to give it a shot. It's a tasty sandwich indeed, but like the burger at DB Bistro Moderne, a bit of a gimmick. I could barely taste the foie gras, and the beef was nothing special. At the price, I rate it a dud.

I had a couple of other complaints. The BLT sandwich comes with an enormous helping of french fries, but this isn't stated on the menu. It seems to be the only entrée that comes with a side dish, so I had no reason to expect fries. My waiter happily took my order for a side of potato skins ($7), which left me with twice as much potato as I needed. (Probably four times, actually; either the skins or the fries came in portions far beyond what I could eat alone.) Had I known the sandwich came with fries, I would not have ordered the skins.

By this time in the meal, the server assignments had been re-arranged. My new server came around to ask if everything was alright, and I told her I was a bit miffed that the menu didn't announce that the BLT came with fries. She remarked, "I would have told you that."

I was also unhappy with a cocktail called a Tamarind Margarita ($11). It came in about the smallest cocktail glass I've ever seen. The drink tasted fine, but one expects a margarita to be a little bigger than that.

On the other hand, the restaurant is generous with extras. When I sat down, the server brought a helping of a wonderful paté and crispy bread. While I was devouring that, one of BLT's famous popovers arrived. The popovers, first introduced at BLT Steak, weren't initially offered when BLT Prime opened. I suspect they had some complaints, and now both restaurants have them. (They even provide a free copy of the recipe.) I did not order a dessert, but the kitchen sent out two half-dollar sized hazelnut ice cream sandwiches, which were excellent.

Overall, it was a mixed performance for the restaurant. It is hard to believe that I dropped over $50 for a cocktail, some potato skins, and a glorified BLT sandwich.

Edited by oakapple (log)

Overall, it was a mixed performance for the restaurant. It is hard to believe that I dropped over $50 for a cocktail, some potato skins, and a glorified BLT sandwich.

Plus all that free stuff. Doesn't sound like it was a bad deal by NY standards. I spent more on a crappy steak, hashbrowns and a beer over at Smith&Wollensky's Grill the other day with no freebies.